Proposal: Calgary MTL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
In terms of value, not close at all. Gallagher on its own would easily be able to bring back Pelletier + 2nd. In the proposal, the habs are also taking in Lucic who is a 6 M cap dump for 2 years.
For the flames to get rid of Lucic's contract, they would need to send back at least a 1st round pick with it. The leafs had to trade a 1st round pick with Marleau to get rid of his contract, and he only had 1 year left at 6.25 M.

I see things differently...

I'd rather have Pelletier + a 2nd rd pick + 6.5 million in cap space

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
In terms of value, not close at all. Gallagher on its own would easily be able to bring back Pelletier + 2nd. In the proposal, the habs are also taking in Lucic who is a 6 M cap dump for 2 years.
For the flames to get rid of Lucic's contract, they would need to send back at least a 1st round pick with it. The leafs had to trade a 1st round pick with Marleau to get rid of his contract, and he only had 1 year left at 6.25 M.

The Flames might be better leaving Lucic out, if at all possible or finding a third. Lucic's contract, after this year really won't be that difficult to move, and he could even retire.

Following the bonus, Lucic will be owed only $1 million in actual salary. Flames aren't paying a 1st to move Lucic. Ghallagher can be acquired closer to the deadline, making the cap work.

Blue Chip Prospect

Feb 9, 2019
Montreal
Is there another Jakob Pelletier I’m not aware of ?
Gallagher is a 30 goal scorer who drives the net relentlessly every game and never take a brake for a guy with 2 professional game under his belt and has proven absolutely nothing ?

I’ll Tkachuck for Poehling and a 2nd. Fair ?

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Is there another Jakob Pelletier I’m not aware of ?
Gallagher is a 30 goal scorer who drives the net relentlessly every game and never take a brake for a guy with 2 professional game under his belt and has proven absolutely nothing ?

I’ll Tkachuck for Poehling and a 2nd. Fair ?

You’re out to lunch if you think Gallagher and Tkachuk are remotely worth the same.

Reactions: iginlafan77

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think it's unreasonable to expect to ship out a player with a 6.5 million cap hit signed through 2027 without having to take back some salary...
Ya but there is a big difference between the two players. One is 29 and still contributes regularly on the scoresheet and the other is 33 and has seen his production nosedive over the last 4 seasons. In the end as a Habs fan, this is not a trade I'd like to see the Habs make.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ya but there is a big difference between the two players. One is 29 and still contributes regularly on the scoresheet and the other is 33 and has seen his production nosedive over the last 4 seasons. In the end as a Habs fan, this is not a trade I'd like to see the Habs make.

I don't think you're going to get a 5+ million player with neutral or positive value, plus Pelletier and a 2nd rd pick for Gallagher

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I don't think you're going to get a 5+ million player with neutral or positive value, plus Pelletier and a 2nd rd pick for Gallagher

Don't you mean...

"2 Pellet stoves in Milan is worth more than a Gally kitchen in Calgary."

You really need to start making a better effort in in your replies to other's trade proposals.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nope, not a chance. Last thing the Flames need is more old, expensive wingers at the expense of futures.

Flames need a rebuild. Or Eichel. But nothing in between.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
1st Gallagher wont score 30 again unless he is put in ideal circumstances, he has become more of a 20+ goal scorer who needs gritty linemates like him to be effective, he doesnt have the skills to play with skilled linemates.

2nd, Habs have too many holes to contend in the next 2 years, we are barely a bubble team even with Price back at the top of his game. So taking back a contract like the Lucic one is part of the plan and has to be made in order to shit Gallagher elsewhere. In 2 yrs from now, Lucic's contract expires and thats 6.5M in extra to spend elsewhere.

3rd, Pelletier and Rafael Harvey-Pinard are in the same mold as Gallagher and project as quality third line gritty wingers with some decent offensive potential. I think Pelletier can score around 20 goals for sure in the near future and Im a huge RHP fan as well, maybe a little bit less offensive skills than Pelletier, but in the same mold.

4th. Trading Gallagher right now would ensure us a top 10 pick in a great draft. If Habs end up out of the top 10, Arizone draft 1st with our higher pick and we probably draft very late 1st with the Canes one.

We all love Gallagher's compete level, leadership and commitment, but now that Danault is gone, he has no more north south net crashing type of linemates like him to develop chimestry and fully optimize his game while the Flames have a couple.

Of course, as a Habs fan, if you can get a 1st in the deal, that would be ideal, but I doubt it. Pelletier and a 2nd is possibly the highest you can get in term of value.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Counter offer;

Gaudreau for Poehling, 2nd rounder and Byron

Let's put it all together...

To Mtl
Gaudreau, Pelletier, 2nd, Lucic

To Cgy
Gallagher, Poehling, Byron

Habs jump on that, Flames not so much... though Sutter would love Gallagher

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Let's put it all together...

To Mtl
Gaudreau, Pelletier, 2nd, Lucic

To Cgy
Gallagher, Poehling, Byron

Habs jump on that, Flames not so much... though Sutter would love Gallagher

for sure the Habs jump on a guy who's a UFA at the end of the year

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
for sure the Habs jump on a guy who's a UFA at the end of the year

1- for all the depth Habs have, adding elite caliber winger is a need

2- if they can't extend him by deadline, he becomes a great trade piece for a 1st+

Dirby Kach

Sep 2, 2009
As a habs fan, I would do this trade instantly.

Gallagher will be a top 10 worst contract in the league in 24 months.

Decline has already started. MB should have traded him along with Tatar, danault and petry. 3 goals in his last 31 playoff games.

Reactions: samsagat

Blue Chip Prospect

Feb 9, 2019
Montreal
You’re out to lunch if you think Gallagher and Tkachuk are remotely worth the same.
You seem to have missed the point. I’ll make it simple, the value of the proposition was absurd so I replied with the same level of absurdity.

No one is saying that Gallagher is as good a player as Tkachuck. But at least Gallagher wants to be in Montreal which the same probably can’t be said for Tkachuck and Calgary according to reports.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's unreasonable to expect to ship out a player with a 6.5 million cap hit signed through 2027 without having to take back some salary...

Taking a cap dumb back vs salary back is two different stories. If the Salary coming back is a cap dumb, the value in futures goes higher. Gallagher is valued and age 29-34 is not a terrible range. Same age Coleman is signed and Flames just signed him like the Habs.

How would you like Byron, Mysak, and a 2nd for Coleman?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not involving Gally of course but what about Kylington? I'd be interested to try him out in Montréal.
What do you think the price is for prospects that are about to potentially break out? The Flames are going to invest a bunch of resources into a prospect and then give them away. Who is actually on the table if Gallagher isn't?

Fonfon

Aug 20, 2021
As a habs fan, I would do this trade instantly.

Gallagher will be a top 10 worst contract in the league in 24 months.

Decline has already started. MB should have traded him along with Tatar, danault and petry. 3 goals in his last 31 playoff games.

Same thinking here, I will do this trade instantly. Gally will be on LTIR for the last 2 years of his contract

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Same thinking here, I will do this trade instantly. Gally will be on LTIR for the last 2 years of his contract
Gallagher will not count against the salary cap if he is on LTIR. I wouldn't trade him for any package which includes a cap dump, unless the rest of the package is too good to pass up. A small winger (who is not a "can't miss" prospect) and a 2nd-round pick isn't all that exciting. It's a much better offer if Lucic is deleted from the deal.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the point went over your head. This is a bad deal for the Habs. If the situation was reversed, the narrative would be "Habs overrate their prospects"
What is going over the heads of Habs fans though is the Flames taking on a contract that pays Gallagher some pretty good dough until he’s 35. We’ve all seen this movie before.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What is going over the heads of Habs fans though is the Flames taking on a contract that pays Gallagher some pretty good dough until he’s 35. We’ve all seen this movie before.

Open your eyes, Don't know who created this trade idea but most Habs fans want nothing to do with trading Gallagher for that return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad