Rumor: Calgary interested in moving to #5 OA, but ask too high for now by Montreal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledge And Dairy

A friend of mine actually did in the 1980s. He wasn't a 1st round pick though and never made it to the Show.

A crapload of kid have broke NCAA commitments to play in the CHL. Charlie Coyle left in the middle of a season after being an NHL pick. Hockey players do what they think is best for their development. Cooley played where he should have been playing as an 18-year old. It was the right choice by all involved.

Back to Flames-Habs...
the 1980's :laugh:

Coyle did commit to NCAA, just because he didn't stay in school doesn't mean he didn't follow through with his original commitment.

Cooley made it clear well before the draft that he was committed to U of Min. He knew well in advance to that decision that he was going to be going in the top 10 of the draft, so it's not like going 3rd OA was going to make a difference on that decision. He still would have committed to uni if the Habs had selected him 1st OA.

Ledge And Dairy

According to Puckpedia's pick value calculator, value is real close.

#9+10 is slightly over, #9+12 slightly under.

#9+11 is right on for #5 + 21.
I dont care if puckpedia says it's close, that is an average across like 20+ drafts. Unless Demidov is available at #5 Calgary would be trading up to 5 to daft essentially the exact same player they would be drafting at #9 or #10.

Reactions: kevrondl

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I dont care if puckpedia says it's close, that is an average across like 20+ drafts. Unless Demidov is available at #5 Calgary would be trading up to 5 to daft essentially the exact same player they would be drafting at #9 or #10.
They want to go up in the draft. Montreal would rightly point out the usual price to go up from 9 to 5.

For the record, I'd prefer as well #9+11 to 5+21.

Doesn't mean Kent Hughes has to accept #9 + #28 or crap like that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Agreed. I think we'll be able to get one of Buium, Catton or Parekh at 9. Any of then could end up being the best player outside of Celebrini in the draft.

What is the value of COL 2nd in 2025 you put? #61?
Depends what they do this offseason. As of today I think they are the 3rd best team in the West behind Dallas and Edmonton. I think somewhere between 55 and 62.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Just f***ing pick at 9th and get it over with, don’t f*** it up.

Trade Kadri, Andersson and Coleman if you can.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Ho w about they do both?

If Calgary somehow is able to acquire #10 OA from the Devils (rumored to be on the market), then:

#9 + #10 OA to Montreal

#5 + #21 to Calgary

Seem fair to me.

Lots of things to move around, not sure how they could acquire that pick from NJ.

Value was set at 1st, 2nd & 7th to move 5 spots in the twenties So, the value of a top 5 pick is a lot stiffer than your pitch.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would made great story if Flames got Ignila. Given his high skill and their legendary name. Parekh is good player, both are, but I would have went extra mile to get Ignila. Next 15 years been worth it.

Ledge And Dairy

Would made great story if Flames got Ignila. Given his high skill and their legendary name. Parekh is good player, both are, but I would have went extra mile to get Ignila. Next 15 years been worth it.
Gotta have the last word don't you? We as Flames fans wanted Iginla for nostalgic reasons. Flames as an organization wouldn't have even taken him at 5 over Demidov so point is moot. Calgary needs help pretty much everywhere except the wing, getting a defensemen that's best comparables are Erik Karlsson and Quinn Hughes at 9 could be a massive steal.

To quote Scott Wheeler in his post R1 review
In going back through the Flames’ draft history, you probably have to go all the way back to the Al MacInnis pick to find a defenseman whose talent and uniqueness matches Parekh.
Nearly every cup winner ever has had a Norris caliber defenseman on their roster (Florida this year and 06 Hurricanes are some of the only exceptions). Calgary has never really drafted that "arguably best in class" defenseman before. You could maybe make the argument for Phaneuf at #9 in 03, but he only had 30 points in 71 games in his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad