Rumor: Calgary interested in moving to #5 OA, but ask too high for now by Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I don't see see what the Flames could realistically offer on top of 9th that would entice Montreal. We have 28th OA, but that seems not near enough. Not really sure what else Montreal would realistically have any interest in.
It will be way too high an ask for The Flames and The Flames offer wont be near enough....

Ledge And Dairy

Of course it makes sense.

By removing the protections, it could land Montreal a lottery pick in 2025.

Right now with the protection they probably get the Panthers pick.
Montreal already drafted Filip Mesar with the 1st from the Toffoli trade

If you are referring to the Monahan trade no that is not possible. That pick protection is not a tradable asset and Obviously Calgary would never do that as they are probably drafting top 5 next year.

This is really straight forward. Calgary's GM would not be doing his job if he didn't kick tires on #5. The price was probably at least #9 and #28, probably more. So no trade will be made

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Another dumb take coming from you!! 👏

How's Toronto playoffs success going? Lol

Lol what slaf is better than cooley

Guess you missed the part where Slafkovsky had
a better season than Cooley and Kotkeniemi was drafted by a completely different GM and scouting team.

Easy mistake its okay
I don't even see the message you quoted because that poster is on my ignore list. And to be on my ignore list, you have to be quite the troll.

Why do keep engaging with people like that?

Reactions: Andrei79

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montreal already drafted Filip Mesar with the 1st from the Toffoli trade

If you are referring to the Monahan trade no that is not possible. That pick protection is not a tradable asset and Obviously Calgary would never do that as they are probably drafting top 5 next year
Monahan, my bad.

I am not sure why a pick protection removal could not be a tradable asset? That is their pick, after all.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Elite talent is a must, Montreal is more likely to trade up from their newly acquired 21stOA than to trade down from 5th.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Not surprised, Montreal has consistently proven that they waste their lottery picks:

Reinbacher instead of Michkov
Slaf instead of Cooley
Kotkaniemi instead of Tkachuk

Can you imagine the habs with Michkov, Cooley and Tkachuk? I can’t, because Montreal sucks at drafting and developing lottery picks.

Montreal probably has ptsd that Carolina is going to offer sheet their lottery pick again, wouldn’t be surprised to see the habs trade or waste this pick yet again.
You all set for Juolevi to lead the Canucks to the Cup next year? (And Slav looked really damn good the couple of times I saw him).

• Haha
Reactions: 67 others

Jan 21, 2018
Guess you missed the part where Slafkovsky had
a better season than Cooley and Kotkeniemi was drafted by a completely different GM and scouting team.

Easy mistake its okay

Guess you missed the part where you’re comparing Slaf’s second NHL season with Cooley’s first NHL season.

Feel free to compare their first seasons and let me know how that works out for you.

Oh and nice try, Montreal drafted Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk. And then Montreal traded kotkaniemi for Dvorak, who is barely an NHL player.

Michkov + Cooley + Tkachuk >>>>> Reinbacher + Slaf + Kotkaniemi (or Dvorak if you prefer)

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Monahan, my bad.

I am not sure why a pick protection removal could not be a tradable asset? That is their pick, after all.
Huh? Because it's literally not an asset. They could absolutely trade the pick itself but they can't just remove the condition as part of a trade. Think about it from another POV, what if Calgary's pick isn't in the top 10 next year. Montreal would essentially be trading #5 away for #9 only. Calgary would still keep Florida's 1st and Hughes would look like an idiot

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Elite talent is a must, Montreal is more likely to trade up from their newly acquired 21stOA than to trade down from 5th.
Ho w about they do both?

If Calgary somehow is able to acquire #10 OA from the Devils (rumored to be on the market), then:

#9 + #10 OA to Montreal

#5 + #21 to Calgary

Seem fair to me.

Lots of things to move around, not sure how they could acquire that pick from NJ.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Some people think Lindstrom is gone to CLB at 4... Demidov could be picked as soon as #2.
Yup and others think Chicago is going D for sure and The Jackets really like Sennecke. Thats the point really, anything can happen tonight.

The only lock is Celebrini

I am a big BPA guy but if they insist on a forward, the there will be a really good one available at #5. Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla.

To trade that pick....it better be good

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Huh? Because it's literally not an asset. They could absolutely trade the pick itself but they can't just remove the condition as part of a trade. Think about it from another POV, what if Calgary's pick isn't in the top 10 next year. Montreal would essentially be trading #5 away for #9 only. Calgary would still keep Florida's 1st and Hughes would look like an idiot
It doesn't mean that because it might be a really bad idea that they can't include that into a trade.

Imagine it like that:

Montreal trades back the pick to Calgary, and then Calgary trades it back without condition to Montreal. Why couldn't they do that?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yup and others think Chicago is going D for sure and The Jackets really like Sennecke. Thats the point really, anything can happen tonight.

The only lock is Celebrini
Yeah, but put yourself into Kent Hughes shoes: you tell them that if they want to be 100% sure to get Iginla they have to trade up.

He's not gonna tell them he prefers Demidov and Lindstrom anyways.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Ho w about they do both?

If Calgary somehow is able to acquire #10 OA from the Devils (rumored to be on the market), then:

#9 + #10 OA to Montreal

#5 + #21 to Calgary

Seem fair to me.

Lots of things to move around, not sure how they could acquire that pick from NJ.
Would still prefer to have the 5th and let's say another 5 spots moved up to 16th.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Ho w about they do both?

#9 + #10 OA to Montreal

#5 + #21 to Calgary

Seem fair to me.

I'd much rather have 9+10 in this draft.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Ledge And Dairy

It doesn't mean that because it might be a really bad idea that they can't include that into a trade.

Imagine it like that:

Montreal trades back the pick to Calgary, and then Calgary trades it back without condition to Montreal. Why couldn't they do that?
Because they can't, the conditions are stuck there until a resolution is made. It's the same thing with retention. If you retain on a player and then later reacquire that player while still retaining you can't then trade the players full cap hit

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
You can trade the pick again and arrange the conditions for the trade to go through no matter what.

Reactions: Michoulicious
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad