Rumor: Calgary interested in moving to #5 OA, but ask too high for now by Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Because they can't, the conditions are stuck there until a resolution is made. It's the same thing with retention. If you retain on a player and then later reacquire that player while still retaining you can't then trade the players full cap hit
Could they trade the pick back to Calgary first (hence removing the conditions), then trade it back to Montreal without conditions?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
yea possibly....I think my point was clear.....

There is the top 2 and then the 3-12ish guys are fairly close....

I would take 9 and 10 over just 5
The deal is 9+10 for 5+21 to be fair.

I'd rather have 9+10 personally, but I could see a team really wanting a player in the top 5... Like maybe the son of a former franchise player. Who knows? :)

Ledge And Dairy

Yes, but that condition has NOTHING to do with the Calgary pick...
Yes it does. If Calgary doesn't get Florida's 1st Montreal gets Calgary's 1st unless it's 1st OA. If Calgary does get Florida's 1st then Montreal gets the better of the 2 1sts unless Calgary's 1st is in the top 10, then they get Florida's 1st.

Actually I'm not going to waste my time with this dumb hypothetical anymore. There is zero chance Calgary makes their 2025 1st unprotected for any pick this year outside of San Jose's #1 OA. Even if Montreal did manage to untangle all those conditions Calgary would never make the pick available

They're the same age and there's a reason Slaf was in the NHL at age 18 and Cooley wasn't.
That would be because Cooley was already committed to the NCAA before he was drafted

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yes it does. If Calgary doesn't get Florida's 1st Montreal gets Calgary's 1st unless it's 1st OA. If Calgary does get Florida's 1st then Montreal gets the better of the 2 1sts unless Calgary's 1st is in the top 10, then they get Florida's 1st.

Actually I'm not going to waste my time with this dumb hypothetical anymore. There is zero chance Calgary makes their 2025 1st unprotected for any pick this year outside of San Jose's #1 OA. Even if Montreal did manage to untangle all those conditions Calgary would never make the pick available

That would be because Cooley was already committed to the NCAA before he was drafted
Forget the conditions between Florida and Calgary regarding Florida's pick. It doesn't matter in that scenario.

Step one: Montreal trades back the pick to Calgary, hence removing ALL THE CONDITIONS (top 10 protection, Florida vs Calgary pick, etc. etc.).

Step two: They trade the pick back to Montreal with no conditions.

Not saying it is the best idea for Montreal, but I fail to see why the league would prevent that to happen between two consensual teams.

You failed to convince me as well, I must say. I agree to stop wasting our time and I think I was right in the end. This could be done. :)

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Yea, that reason is because Montreal is bad at developing lottery picks. Finally we can agree on something!
Man, at what point do you not just step away from the keyboard? You’re only here to troll Habs fans, you’re not adding anything to the conversation. The fact that several posters here have you blocked already speaks volumes, and something I can certainly understand.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
OMG...players break those commitments all the time. He was in the NCAA because that's where his handlers (agents, Coyotes etc) thought he should be in the best interest of his development.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Guess you missed the part where you’re comparing Slaf’s second NHL season with Cooley’s first NHL season.

Feel free to compare their first seasons and let me know how that works out for you.

Oh and nice try, Montreal drafted Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk. And then Montreal traded kotkaniemi for Dvorak, who is barely an NHL player.

Michkov + Cooley + Tkachuk >>>>> Reinbacher + Slaf + Kotkaniemi (or Dvorak if you prefer)
They were draft the same year unless you forgot that info again.... Slafkovski was better then Cooley last year.

Are you lost or just ignorant? Kotkaniemi was draft by Bergevin not Hughes.... I guess you will use the same argument in your next post.

How did you like Leafs 1st round again this year?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Man, at what point do you not just step away from the keyboard? You’re only here to troll Habs fans, you’re not adding anything to the conversation. The fact that several posters here have you blocked already speaks volumes, and something I can certainly understand.
I just followed the lead of some other posters and looked up how to use the ignore feature. LOL!

Now we can get back to discussing the Flames-Habs talks.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Not surprised, Montreal has consistently proven that they waste their lottery picks:

Reinbacher instead of Michkov
Slaf instead of Cooley
Kotkaniemi instead of Tkachuk

Can you imagine the habs with Michkov, Cooley and Tkachuk? I can’t, because Montreal sucks at drafting and developing lottery picks.

Montreal probably has ptsd that Carolina is going to offer sheet their lottery pick again, wouldn’t be surprised to see the habs trade or waste this pick yet again.
You mad

Reactions: EveryDay

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not surprised, Montreal has consistently proven that they waste their lottery picks:

Reinbacher instead of Michkov
Slaf instead of Cooley
Kotkaniemi instead of Tkachuk

Can you imagine the habs with Michkov, Cooley and Tkachuk? I can’t, because Montreal sucks at drafting and developing lottery picks.

Montreal probably has ptsd that Carolina is going to offer sheet their lottery pick again, wouldn’t be surprised to see the habs trade or waste this pick yet again.
giphy.gif

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
When? Name a time a player committed to College and the backed out after getting drafted
A friend of mine actually did in the 1980s. He wasn't a 1st round pick though and never made it to the Show.

A crapload of kid have broke NCAA commitments to play in the CHL. Charlie Coyle left in the middle of a season after being an NHL pick. Hockey players do what they think is best for their development. Cooley played where he should have been playing as an 18-year old. It was the right choice by all involved.

Back to Flames-Habs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad