Calgary Flames quietly leading the NHL in preseason standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
"Prior to the season" ???

It still is bud. Preseason means jack shit when the real thing starts.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
means nothing, I remember Victor Stalberg scored 9 goals or something in preseason, went on to score like 2 the rest of the season.
Lol I was just gonna bring up that infamous pre-season. Burke had just taken over the Leafs, made a bunch of FA splashes, did the Kessel trade etc and there was a ton of hype and excitement going in. Stalberg went off in pre-season and had people hyping him as a potential Calder candidate, Jonas Gustavsson had that insane 2-on-0 sliding stop against Detroit, Kadri tore up pre-season as well, and the Leafs finished 6-3 getting everyone excited to potentially be a playoff team again. We all know what happened after.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
With a win over Kraken, they are #1 in the standings. 6 games, 5 wins and 1 OTL. Only team that doesn't have a regulation loss so far.

A lot of guys were writing them off prior to the season. But that team still has a lot of talent and they are hungry to prove themselves. Are they going to be a playoff team again?
Let us remember the great Colorado Avalanche season where they went undefeated in the preseason and last place in the regular season.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Lol I was just gonna bring up that infamous pre-season. Burke had just taken over the Leafs, made a bunch of FA splashes, did the Kessel trade etc and there was a ton of hype and excitement going in. Stalberg went off in pre-season and had people hyping him as a potential Calder candidate, Jonas Gustavsson had that insane 2-on-0 sliding stop against Detroit, Kadri tore up pre-season as well, and the Leafs finished 6-3 getting everyone excited to potentially be a playoff team again. We all know what happened after.
Ty Rattie was supposed to score 30 with McDavid after a pre-season too lmao

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Pretty meaningless. Don’t think they are going to be good.

What is encouraging is the play of Honzek, Coronato, Brusztewicz, Wolf, Zary, Gridin, Basha. Lots of really good prospects. Honzek especially, he’s got the elusive speed, size, hands and vision combo; could be a special player soon.
Even evaluating prospects can be tricky using preseason as an indication they are NHL ready or not. Will need to see how they do in NHL regular season before drawing any conclusions. Some prospects do great in preseason then lay an egg once the actual season starts so I would temper my expectations for some of these prospects until I see them be productive in regular season games.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Ty Rattie was supposed to score 30 with McDavid after a pre-season too lmao
Pre-season is a different world man. The seasoned vets who have their spots locked in don't give a flying f*** besides getting some conditioning in, and by extension the guys that are on the cusp often stand out because they're the ones who are actually trying and have to make a statement.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Pre-season is a different world man. The seasoned vets who have their spots locked in don't give a flying f*** besides getting some conditioning in, and by extension the guys that are on the cusp often stand out because they're the ones who are actually trying and have to make a statement.
Totally.
Oiler fans during the DoD would always get hype for the pre-season because we actually looked like a team hahaha

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It wasn't too long ago that the Oilers tanked for over a decade just to have a star-filled roster and not being able to win anything with it.

Anyways...back to the preseason cup.
If we want to go back that far, we may as well go a bit further to re-celebrate all the 80’s Oilers cups. :sarcasm:

Back to the pre-season cup indeed.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Doesn't performing well in pre-season presage that your team is bad and missing many spots so they have to play good players with new players and try extra hard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad