Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Flames just signed a new broadcast agreement with Rogers.It's probably in the 30-40 million range to start with an escalator through the years.Ottawa is getting close to that now .They have some time to figure this out.
If this ownership moves the Flames there will be immediately at least a couple or more teams wanting to relocate to Calgary.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Islanders played 43 years plus out of Nassau. Give the Flames at least 4 more years before throwing the heat on them.
Nassau is in great shape isn't it?

Also old arenas + great and enthusiastic fanbase = awesome experience
Nothing is better than a small but full arena with a lot of loud, enthusiastic fans.
Standing areas behind each goal makes it even better.

look at Anfield, the home of liverpool.
Build in 1884 it is still there. Of course it got renovated and extended, but its still one of the best places to attend a game of football.

Same goes for Parc des Princes in Paris (home of PSG). Build in 1972 and it still rocks.

And a lot more.

Renovate the arena and it will be great.
The fanbase in Calgary is good and the arena is iconic enough to make it even better.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Islanders played 43 years plus out of Nassau. Give the Flames at least 4 more years before throwing the heat on them.
All I am saying is if Flames move they ain’t getting a team back without new arena I ready to go. Or at least shovel in the ground.

In case of Islanders, if they had to move, we weren’t getting a team back, period.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

An arena could easily be built - with private funding. If the Flames want a new one they know what to do.

If they need extra money they can borrow from a suggestion in this morning's Calgary Herald and start a go-fund me page.

I'd also like to see what would happen if Kenney committed provincial money to the project. My hunch is that he's all hot air when it comes to speaking out on this issue. His government needs to be spending money on more ambulances and paramedics and not shiny toys for rich whiny billionaires.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So according to the premier it’s the city council (the Mayor) who caused the current problem.
It makes sense - political types like Kenney don't want to hurt the feelings of the Flames owners who probably donate to a lot of their campaigns.

Between the Premier's comments and recent butt-kissing columns in the Calgary Herald it seems that someone's PR department is working overtime.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Mar 10, 2010
This is an interesting article on Arena funding. I have not fact checked it. I am late to the dance on this forum so if this was posted before and discussed I apologize.

Here’s how every NHL arena was funded

some conclusions if you don't want to read the article:

Let’s break this down a bit…
Primarily privately funded buildings

Teams built their own buildings primarily out of their own pockets in every Canadian market (except for Calgary and Edmonton) as well as the major American markets (plus Vegas and Columbus).
Public money tied to expansion/relocation

Teams received significant public contributions to bring an NHL team to town in Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, Nashville, Tampa, Minnesota and Carolina. (In Calgary’s case, the Olympic discussions also played a big part, but it’s unlikely they would’ve built an arena only for the Olympics without an NHL club.)
They were worried team would leave

Public funds were provided to contribute to new arenas for St. Louis, Buffalo and Glendale, in part due to concerns that the teams would leave town without a new home. (The Blues had almost moved to Saskatoon in 1983 and the Kiel Center’s construction, combined with new local ownership, helped cement the team’s roots.)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

So the city wants to proceed with an event centre anyways. The Flames says they will stay at the Saddledome and have 11 years left on the lease.

Who would partner with the city in light of having another arena right next door? The stampede ground will need to go somewhere as they we're supposed to occupy the land where the dome currently its IIRC

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Is this the Jason Kenney with a 22% approval rating? And likely even lower in the city of Calgary?

58% of voters think he should resign immediately.

Gondek would be lucky to get more criticism from him and he's certainly doing the Flames no favours.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
But in fairness Kenney demanding more corporate handouts is very on brand for him.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

So the city wants to proceed with an event centre anyways. The Flames says they will stay at the Saddledome and have 11 years left on the lease.

Who would partner with the city in light of having another arena right next door? The stampede ground will need to go somewhere as they we're supposed to occupy the land where the dome currently its IIRC

The city may not want to be a partner and they really shouldn't be. Those 'other possibilities' hopefully include an arena funded exclusively by private dollars.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
But in fairness Kenney demanding more corporate handouts is very on brand for him.
He's probably also saying stuff more for its PR value knowing well that the province would never allocate funds for an arena when they need to spend in so many other priority areas.

Right now I imagine the Flames owners and hangers on are working the phones, calling in favours and really working hard trying to resurrect this or some other agreement. They want our free money and will do anything for it.

Last edited:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
This is an interesting article on Arena funding. I have not fact checked it. I am late to the dance on this forum so if this was posted before and discussed I apologize.

Here’s how every NHL arena was funded

some conclusions if you don't want to read the article:

What the author fails to disclose is the changing fact of how arenas and stadiums are now being funded in Canada.

They can talk about how the Leafs funded their own arena, but not mention that MLSE more than happily took taxpayer money to build BMO field.

Facilities are built now with taxpayer money as the levels of government want to influence how structures for public use are being built.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

ps241

Mar 10, 2010
What the author fails to disclose is the changing fact of how arenas and stadiums are now being funded in Canada.

They can talk about how the Leafs funded their own arena, but not mention that MLSE more than happily took taxpayer money to build BMO field.

Facilities are built now with taxpayer money as the levels of government want to influence how structures for public use are being built.

BMO field has been interesting mix:

"BMO Field opened in 2007 as the home of Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. The municipally-owned stadium was built for $62.9 million: $27 million from the federal government, $8 million from the province of Ontario and $9.8 million from the city. TFC’s owners, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, contributed $18 million. The facility is undergoing a $120-million expansion with some public money: a $10-million loan from the city. MLSE, which recently bought the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts and is moving the team into BMO Field next year, is contributing $90 million toward the job."

Seems like a public private blend and its still municipally owned if I'm reading it correctly?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
BMO field has been interesting mix:

"BMO Field opened in 2007 as the home of Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. The municipally-owned stadium was built for $62.9 million: $27 million from the federal government, $8 million from the province of Ontario and $9.8 million from the city. TFC’s owners, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, contributed $18 million. The facility is undergoing a $120-million expansion with some public money: a $10-million loan from the city. MLSE, which recently bought the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts and is moving the team into BMO Field next year, is contributing $90 million toward the job."

Seems like a public private blend and its still municipally owned if I'm reading it correctly?

Run by MLSE, who made a profit off the stadium before Toronto FC even played its first game.

ps241

Mar 10, 2010
Run by MLSE, who made a profit off the stadium before Toronto FC even played its first game.

Interesting was it a concessions deal like Centre plate or were they being paid a Managment contract?

DDP99

Jan 6, 2022
Why do you think the league doesn't believe it? From what Gary Bettman has said Quebec is a franchise that the NHL is considering. The NHL went to Vegas and Seattle as expansion teams because those were two better markets that fit a geographic and corporate target for the NHL But now if someone is looking to sell I think Quebec is a prime target, and would be able to put up a hockey management team, and fan drive, quickly. Which would bring more revenues to the league, and the league is focused on revenues right now.
Seattle has a bigger economy then Toronto.
There is a reason they wanted to be in Seattle ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad