Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That was two governments ago, at a time where we were running multi-billion dollar deficits. We now have multi-billion dollar surpluses. Timing matters.

They had a single multi-billion deficit. But the province was in a far better spot to finance the Edmonton arena vs. the Calgary one.

In 2011 they were still in the black as the PCs generally ran shoe-string, but balanced budgets. Meanwhile the provincial government is coming off its two biggest deficits ever in b2b years.

This deal creates zilch in the way of a new tax base, and has zero way to see a return on the public money spent. This isn't spending on infrastructure, or a new residential/business district, it's near 1 billion in public money on a vanity project

And yes, timing matters. But I think we can agree the Albertan/Canadian/Global economy was better in 2011, than here in 2023 where people are struggling with inflation. Are you happy to see a frivolous increase on your tax bill?

Aug 3, 2010
I was kind of hoping there'd be something for McMahon in there, that place needs replacement far more than the Saddledome.
While there is some truth to it, I think the cost/benefit analysis is too risky.
I truly believe the CFL / professional football in Canada may not even exist within 10-20 years at its current trajectory. However, a new fieldhouse for amateur/school athletics and mixed-use athletics events would be great.

I was in my Flames Account renewing my season tickets and was thinking “ wouldn’t it be great if we could somehow get our new arena built “ …. dreams do come true
Enjoy the current Saddledome prices while you can, I guess. All this public money won't make the new arena's events cheaper, whether it's a Flames game or a concert. Don't even get started on the raise in concession costs.

Edmonton fans, care to chime in on the cost increases you saw per event type?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I was in my Flames Account renewing my season tickets and was thinking “ wouldn’t it be great if we could somehow get our new arena built “ …. dreams do come true
I have no problem with a new arena being built as long as the Flames pay for everything. They have to purchase land from the city at market value, pay for the arena itself and pay taxes on the arena when its done.

Aug 3, 2010
I have no problem with a new arena being built as long as the Flames pay for everything. They have to purchase land from the city at market value, pay for the arena itself and pay taxes on the arena when its done.
Exactly this.

Do oil or tech or whichever companies ask for public money when they erect their headquarters in Calgary?
I know that ofter they get some sort of tax incentive but seeing as both CSEC and say, Husky for example, are private corporations, why does one require millions in public money for the construction of their operating space and the other doesn't?

Have been beating this drum for a long time, and there are enough examples of other municipalities having their professional sports ownerships pay for their own private arenas. Why can't Calgary?

Bond

May 10, 2012
They had a single multi-billion deficit. But the province was in a far better spot to finance the Edmonton arena vs. the Calgary one.

In 2011 they were still in the black as the PCs generally ran shoe-string, but balanced budgets. Meanwhile the provincial government is coming off its two biggest deficits ever in b2b years.

This deal creates zilch in the way of a new tax base, and has zero way to see a return on the public money spent. This isn't spending on infrastructure, or a new residential/business district, it's near 1 billion in public money on a vanity project

And yes, timing matters. But I think we can agree the Albertan/Canadian/Global economy was better in 2011, than here in 2023 where people are struggling with inflation. Are you happy to see a frivolous increase on your tax bill?
Yup. This isn't being built in an area that needs revitalizing in Calgary. It is basically giving CSEC a new arena. I hope it doesn't work the UCP

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yet another municipal government and now provincial government utterly fleeced by a for profit sports team. But then again these days there seems to be almost no large capital outlay by any private business entity without governments being expect to pony up some sort of funding or tax holidays,

Reactions: Hennessy

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
While there is some truth to it, I think the cost/benefit analysis is too risky.
I truly believe the CFL / professional football in Canada may not even exist within 10-20 years at its current trajectory. However, a new fieldhouse for amateur/school athletics and mixed-use athletics events would be great.

I hope you're wrong but we're seeing a lot of sports in general have dwindling attendance, and the CFL is one of them as well. Especially worrisome in Edmonton and Calgary, places that have historically supported their teams well.

One of the things I remember from the Heritage Classic a couple years ago was hearing a lot of folks from Calgary saying "I'd go to a lot more Stamps games if they had a nice venue like this".

Hopefully something can be figured out for them, those early renderings for the shared field house were dreadful.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
They will likely put up a 100ft art piece of Darryl Sutter right in the main entrance. Him with Iggy and Kipper since the 3 are icons in the Flames organization.

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
Before i pass judgement I’d like to know a few things.
How is the revenue shared? I would be ok with CSEC getting the revenue from Flames,Wranglers,Roughnecks,Hitmen games and they pay the upkeep as stated in the deal. Do the City and Province get the revenue from the event center for concerts, cultural events etc. for the use of the Events Center and other buildings, therefor getting some return on investment? If this was the case I would be ok with the deal.
I am sure if this agreement wasn’t reached the Flames would definitely be gone to Atlanta or Houston or Utah or……..,which love them or hate them would not be good for the city, province, or country.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Yet another municipal government and now provincial government utterly fleeced by a for profit sports team. But then again these days there seems to be almost no large capital outlay by any private business entity without governments being expect to pony up some sort of funding or tax holidays,
UCP are paying for votes week before an election.

Calgary needs a new arena but Alberta tax payers should be livid.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
corporate welfare bums.png

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
If a deal has been made it's just devastating news for Calgary taxpayers. Not only do we have to shoulder an increasing share of the city's business taxes but we have to sacrifice hundreds of millions of tax dollars to the rich little snots who own the Flames.

The Flames should have been forced to pay for their own effing arena. I don't know why that's so tough for our council and city management to understand. If the Flames can't do the right thing and pay for their shiny toy then maybe they should think about leaving.

Well that's what Calgary is facing, losing the Flames, they can't continue long-term in their current building.

And in fairness the city is going to own the building which is good, and its not some hope & a prayer investment when you have a stable & important NHL franchise as the main tenant.

This arena & community space will probably be the crown jewel in the city of Calgary for the next 40 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How will people get in with his strong defensive style?

I agree with you, but pretty much every stadium/arena/ballpark of significance is done this way.
Not really. Scotia Bank Arena (Leafs/Raptors), Bell Centre (Habs), MetLife Stadium (Jets/Giants), Sofi Stadium (Rams/Chargers), TD Gardens (Bruins/Celtics), Chase Center (Warriors), Crypto Arena (Lakers/Clippers/Kings), Wells Fargo Center (Flyers/76ers), United Center (Bulls/Hawks), Rogers Arena (Canucks) etc. I believe UBS (Islanders) which just opened is.

So, it can be done.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Awesome deal, love all the salt, keep the tears coming.
You being a Flames supporter doesn't shield you from the fact that you're still being screwed in this deal.
The ones signing it are banking on people like you being blind to the robbery they are committing.
Carrying water for billionaires doesn't make you a better fan. It just makes you a sucker.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I don’t think it is a big deal that public funds are being used for this, our idiot mayor in Calgary is going to puss away $87 billion on dumb shit like climate change.
How's climate change dumb?

Rather the Alberta government invest in roads, schools, or hospitals than Murray Edwards.

Oilers managed to build an arena without Provincial funds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad