Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Well that's what Calgary is facing, losing the Flames, they can't continue long-term in their current building.

And in fairness the city is going to own the building which is good, and its not some hope & a prayer investment when you have a stable & important NHL franchise as the main tenant.

This arena & community space will probably be the crown jewel in the city of Calgary for the next 40 years.
The Flames are more than welcome to build a new arena as long as they purchase the land at market value, build it, pay for it and pay taxes on it when it opens.

And if the city owns the arena they have the responsibility to ensure that they receive enough money to actually pay for it. There's no way that's going to happen with an NHL franchise as a tenant. We'd be better off going the Kansas City route and saying no to the NHL.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
They are getting $300mill towards the project. Edmonton got nada.
And Smith was also opposed to any money going towards any arena when she was in opposition. And now...suddenly the tune changed. Arena close to home. She is in power. Election next month.
Can you smell it? I can.
The province already had infrastructure spending for both cities. Edmonton was receiving $3.1 bn and Calgary $2.9bn. Not everything was defined in terms of spending but the money was there FOR BOTH CITIES. Edmonton still got more money and Smith said she expects parts of Edmonton's $3.1bn to use for phase 2 of the Ice district. Why don't people whine a little more without knowing the facts? The money in Calgary is going towards a new underpass, demo of saddledome and road improvements. It isn't for operations or construction of new arena.

Source:

36:00 minute mark (ish)

Last edited:

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
While there is some truth to it, I think the cost/benefit analysis is too risky.
I truly believe the CFL / professional football in Canada may not even exist within 10-20 years at its current trajectory. However, a new fieldhouse for amateur/school athletics and mixed-use athletics events would be great.

Enjoy the current Saddledome prices while you can, I guess. All this public money won't make the new arena's events cheaper, whether it's a Flames game or a concert. Don't even get started on the raise in concession costs.

Edmonton fans, care to chime in on the cost increases you saw per event type?

Let's separate from Southern Alberta.
Would be interesting to see how all the Alberta separatists react could considering they seem to congregate at Brett Wilson's house...

Calgary historically sucks from the teet of the government, while the rest of the province is largely ignored.

We are not surprised... and you say there is an election in a month? Shocker...

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
How's climate change dumb?

Rather the Alberta government invest in roads, schools, or hospitals than Murray Edwards.

Oilers managed to build an arena without Provincial funds.

I imagine this just comes out of infrastructure funds ear marked for Calgary anyway. Calgary or Edmonton the tax payer got hosed and took it up the rear end.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I live in calgary, not sure where they plan too build but sounds like some where down town. They actually building a new even centre right now beside the dome replacing the bmo centre and it looks pretty impressive so far. Good to see edmonton and calgary doing some revitalizing much needed

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So from what I'm reading the funding from the province isn't even official, it'll be finalized after the election. Seems like a potential gong show.

Also not really sure what to make of the overall provincial funding as it doesn't really sound like any of it is for the arena itself. Seems like it's money for roads and such which from what I'm seeing both Calgary and Edmonton have similar funds in that department.

The province already had infrastructure spending for both cities. Edmonton was receiving $3.1 bn and Calgary $2.9bn. Not everything was defined in terms of spending but the money was there FOR BOTH CITIES. Edmonton still got more money and Smith said she expects parts of Edmonton's $3.1bn to use for phase 2 of the Ice district. Why don't people whine a little more without knowing the facts? The money in Calgary is going towards a new underpass, demo of saddledome and road improvements. It isn't for operations or construction of new arena.

Source:

So if anything Calgary people that are opposed to the arena should be more pissed off than anything. As the money going to these upgrades is just taking away from other potential infrastructure projects.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If a deal has been made it's just devastating news for Calgary taxpayers. Not only do we have to shoulder an increasing share of the city's business taxes but we have to sacrifice hundreds of millions of tax dollars to the rich little snots who own the Flames.

The Flames should have been forced to pay for their own effing arena. I don't know why that's so tough for our council and city management to understand. If the Flames can't do the right thing and pay for their shiny toy then maybe they should think about leaving.

Its extremely rare (In NA sports) for a team to pay their own way when it comes to new areas/facilities. They know every time that governments will fold and help fund the project.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gotta love the Provincial Government stepping in just before the election trying to buy votes with...people's own taxpayer money. :laugh:

Sad thing is, it'll probably work.

Unfortunate that this project will probably soak up a lot of funding that would've been better spent on so many other pressing infrastructure needs and projects across Calgary.

It'll be interesting to see how much the new arena and complex help revitalize that area. There are a some other big money projects not far from there that are probably involved in pushing to get this deal done, as it'll really help their viability as well. With this, other private developments, the BMO Centre expansion...There appears to be a clear, concerted effort to link that East Village all the way down to the Elbow. Including that new transit line that might eventually get built some day.

Will be interesting to see if the vision and strategy actually pays off, and this new arena development contributes to that for a worthwhile return on investment for the city. Or if it ends up just being a huge taxpayer moneypit...like so many other arenas that the taxpayers fund for billionaires own personal profit.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Source:

Guzzy guzzled the Smith kool-aid. If you would actually READ everything I wrote, isn't so much as the money, it is a problem with her flip flopping.

She sure doesn't sound like that self-professed libertarian she always claimed to be now.....so what the hell is she?

Anyway....don't answer. Don't give a f***. Doesn't change the fact I am paying for Ken King Murray Edwards (I mispoke) to get richer. I will take solace in the fact that at least Rogers doesn't cost me anything more than what I spend to go there and Katz doesn't get richer just off me merely existing.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gotta love the Provincial Government stepping in just before the election trying to buy votes with...people's own taxpayer money. :laugh:

Sad thing is, it'll probably work.

Unfortunate that this project will probably soak up a lot of funding that would've been better spent on so many other pressing infrastructure needs and projects across Calgary.

It'll be interesting to see how much the new arena and complex help revitalize that area. There are a some other big money projects not far from there that are probably involved in pushing to get this deal done, as it'll really help their viability as well. With this, other private developments, the BMO Centre expansion...There appears to be a clear, concerted effort to link that East Village all the way down to the Elbow. Including that new transit line that might eventually get built some day.

Will be interesting to see if the vision and strategy actually pays off, and this new arena development contributes to that for a worthwhile return on investment for the city. Or if it ends up just being a huge taxpayer moneypit...like so many other arenas that the taxpayers fund for billionaires own personal profit.
I honestly don't see how it buys votes.

Here in Edmonton the City was pretty split over any taxpayer money whether it was civil, provincial or federal.

So if you have the same kind of split in Calgary would it not actually be bad for the government? Not only are you pissing of a good chunk ofCalgarians, but you are also pissing of the majority of the rest of the province.

With that being said I don't see the funding really being for the building so not sure people should be too up in arms about the provincial money. It's money the City of Calgary would've gotten anyway.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
As an Oilers fan, this makes me happy.
I would hate to see the Flames relocate. That would be devastating to Calgary and Alberta.
The rivalry lives!

Reactions: ujju2

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Its extremely rare (In NA sports) for a team to pay their own way when it comes to new areas/facilities. They know every time that governments will fold and help fund the project.
I was hoping Calgary would be the first council to show some spine, stand up to the NHL and say "Build your own arena!" I was wrong and our Mayor and council are as dangerously incompetent as the others.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I honestly don't see how it buys votes.

Here in Edmonton the City was pretty split over any taxpayer money whether it was civil, provincial or federal.

So if you have the same kind of split in Calgary would it not actually be bad for the government? Not only are you pissing of a good chunk ofCalgarians, but you are also pissing of the majority of the rest of the province.

With that being said I don't see the funding really being for the building so not sure people should be too up in arms about the provincial money. It's money the City of Calgary would've gotten anyway.

I think this is where it comes across as an attempt at "vote buying".

It's taking money that would've otherwise been coming Calgary's way for various badly needed infrastructure projects anyway...but this is slapping a shiny new toy veneer on it. Talking about money earmarked for an underpass, road improvements, demolition of old structures isn't "sexy". A new arena is a "splashy" tag line item. It's one very specific high profile thing they can point to and thump their chest and say, "we made this happen!" in the same way other parties are bragging about having built a pipeline or this that or the other things - despite having very little of anything to do with it.

It may be a bit of a split...but i'd reckon a lot of that split runs down a line of voters that they weren't likely to "buy" anyway. You don't lose an election by pushing people who were never going to vote for you, further away. Ultimately i don't know if it'll pay off or not...but at the very least, it's one of those things that has put them in the headlines as "doing something" tangible and concrete...putting that in a lot of people's minds just before the election. That's half the battle. Good action or bad, politicians like to be seen as active and impactful in an election cycle.

It gets a lot of people excited about the cool new thing the city is getting - and associates their government with the project as those people head to the ballot box. Often not really thinking about the fact it's their own darn money being spent. :laugh:

Reactions: joestevens29

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
As an Oilers fan, this makes me happy.
I would hate to see the Flames relocate. That would be devastating to Calgary and Alberta.
The rivalry lives!
If the Flames don't want to pay their way here in Calgary they're more than welcome to try and find a more lucrative market somewhere else.

I think this is where it comes across as an attempt at "vote buying".
That's exactly what it is. When you look at how important Calgary is in the next election (Polls suggest the election will be won and lost here) a person can't draw any other conclusion.

Reactions: 1989

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The arena was supposed to be a little over $600 million a couple years ago and Flames ownership balked at some unexpected additional costs so the deal was cancelled. Now the deal is reportedly $1.2 billion for the arena, parking lot, etc?!

Are there any specifics of how much the arena will cost on its own? How big and how much will the parkade cost and was this a part of the original $600 million budget for the first arena proposal? What is the etc.? Someone mentioned a community club? Anything else as part of the etc.? A plaza/gathering place? Some office/residential/hotel buildings involved.

I get that costs have increased with inflation, but increasing by 100% in a couple years seems like insanity. You expect billion dollar arenas in places like New York and LA where labour and land are insanely expensive.

Many construction materials doubled and tripled in costs during the pandemic and we still have occasional shortages. Lumber prices are still up there and from what I understand, concrete is even higher. Gondek blowing up the deal about sidewalks and a few million in things like solar panels and other things and just basically nickel and diming the project was dumb.

Others have already posted the breakdowns.

They had a single multi-billion deficit. But the province was in a far better spot to finance the Edmonton arena vs. the Calgary one.

In 2011 they were still in the black as the PCs generally ran shoe-string, but balanced budgets. Meanwhile the provincial government is coming off its two biggest deficits ever in b2b years.

This deal creates zilch in the way of a new tax base, and has zero way to see a return on the public money spent. This isn't spending on infrastructure, or a new residential/business district, it's near 1 billion in public money on a vanity project

And yes, timing matters. But I think we can agree the Albertan/Canadian/Global economy was better in 2011, than here in 2023 where people are struggling with inflation. Are you happy to see a frivolous increase on your tax bill?

No, it does actually allows the city to recoup. Just indirectly. That area is supposed to spike in property taxes as soon as more residential goes up as well as a business area pops up/traffic to nearby areas like the red mile increases.

Happy for the increase to the tax bill? No. But there are dumber things for the city to waste money on. This one to revitalize the downtown core isn't the worst of them. At least this isn't an Olympic bid, but honestly speaking, there's rumblings that with some new infrastructure upgrades, this is likely coming down the pipeline anyways, even though Calgarians already shot down a 2026 bid via referendum a few years ago.

I have no problem with a new arena being built as long as the Flames pay for everything. They have to purchase land from the city at market value, pay for the arena itself and pay taxes on the arena when its done.

They can't. The city refused to sell or lease the land for the project. That's why they had to be partners on this one. Had the city sold the land, it'd be privately funded. The city refused because they think the land will skyrocket and as such basically demanded to be a partner. As much as I'm not happy with the CSEC, this isn't totally on the CSEC. The city demanded to be a business partner with the business acumen of a trust fund baby.

Exactly this.

Do oil or tech or whichever companies ask for public money when they erect their headquarters in Calgary?
I know that ofter they get some sort of tax incentive but seeing as both CSEC and say, Husky for example, are private corporations, why does one require millions in public money for the construction of their operating space and the other doesn't?

Have been beating this drum for a long time, and there are enough examples of other municipalities having their professional sports ownerships pay for their own private arenas. Why can't Calgary?

No, but they aren't required to be in a specific area like this and required to partner with the local government who owns the land and refuses to sell or lease the land.

Calgary can't because they refuse the sell the land. IIRC, in Edmonton, Katz bought up a ton of the land in the area by the arena. Most of the other arenas are in a similar situation where they could buy the land.

If you look at cash flow, the city of Calgary puts up very little. Their assets are worth high FMV, but low cash flow value. CSEC puts up like 80% of the cash flow for the whole project. That's why they'd hold out. The provincial part I don't know if it's funding or loan or whatever and there's a huge difference between the two. Loan CSEC is on the hook for principal + interest. Funding, it's basically money into the project. CSEC takes a huge chunk, but the city keeps a bunch too because they are partners in the deal and have ownership of certain things.

How's climate change dumb?

Rather the Alberta government invest in roads, schools, or hospitals than Murray Edwards.

Oilers managed to build an arena without Provincial funds.

Climate change isn't dumb, but I have no faith in Gondek from finding a way to do dumb things in the name of climate change. They'd be projects loosely related to climate change/green, but would actually not be beneficial overall to climate change/green energy.

No offence, but you’re exactly the type of voter that the government loves to take advantage of.

Stay in school kids.

To be fair, Gondek has been problematic. I wouldn't put it past her to think that certain colors of paint are positive towards reducing climate change or haphazardly placed and ugly solar panels to power a random light pole in the district (not all) and that these badly built projects don't come with repair and maintenance costs in short order.

If it's done nicely and done well, I'll eat crow. But I know people who work at the city and anecdotes about Gondek's management attitude and business acumen worry me.

So from what I'm reading the funding from the province isn't even official, it'll be finalized after the election. Seems like a potential gong show.

Also not really sure what to make of the overall provincial funding as it doesn't really sound like any of it is for the arena itself. Seems like it's money for roads and such which from what I'm seeing both Calgary and Edmonton have similar funds in that department.

So if anything Calgary people that are opposed to the arena should be more pissed off than anything. As the money going to these upgrades is just taking away from other potential infrastructure projects.

Like... the ultra delayed green line because of redoing analysis over and over and doing more public discussions? Money spent on investigating a Olympic bid? Money spent on external consultants re-investigating deals the city has made?

TBH, not many Calgarians are celebrating in the streets about this. But I guess the silver lining is at least most of the money will end up in the hands of Calgarians and we'll see the end result vs lining more out of town lawyers and consultants bank accounts. Here at least money flows to the construction workers in the area and directly helps the local economy by injecting a ton of money into it.

We know the burbs are going to get spikes in property taxes to pay for the infrastructure costs. We are one of the few provinces to receive carbon tax refunds. Carbon tax refunds could lower/disappear...

God forbid the government suddenly suggests a PST though. I'm not against the concept of a PST, but I don't trust people who think fiscal and financial are completely interchangeable to use money wisely (the words are not interchangeable. it's like a square vs rectangle situation. many similarities, but many specific differences).

Reactions: Pucklington

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Could they not modernize the current arena. Surely that would be more environmentally friendly and less expensive ? They're doing that with the Glenbow Museum (pity as I'm visiting in July and August). Which is progressive and forward thinking trying to turn that into a destination museum.

How about spending taxpayers money on speeding up the C-Transit extensions, homelessness and other social issues ?

This sort of idea that the public fund privately owned teams would never fly in the UK. When Manchester City and West Ham acquired taxpayer funded arenas (given the fact they may turn into white elephants post Commonwealth and Olympic Games) there was still a huge storm of controversy.

Edmonton is the capital but anyone who has been to either will tell you Calgary is nicer.

50/50 I liked both but there's a serious shortage of trees in Calgary. Edmonton wins hands down on that.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
I don’t think it is a big deal that public funds are being used for this, our idiot mayor in Calgary is going to puss away $87 billion on dumb shit like climate change.
Wow. It's not wonder your province is in the state that it's in.
Everything about your post is sad for humanity

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Could they not modernize the current arena. Surely that would be more environmentally friendly and less expensive ? They're doing that with the Glenbow Museum (pity as I'm visiting in July and August). Which is progressive and forward thinking trying to turn that into a destination museum.

How about spending taxpayers money on speeding up the C-Transit extensions, homelessness and other social issues ?

This sort of idea that the public fund privately owned teams would never fly in the UK. When Manchester City and West Ham acquired taxpayer funded arenas (given the fact they may turn into white elephants post Commonwealth and Olympic Games) there was still a huge storm of controversy.

50/50 I liked both but there's a serious shortage of trees in Calgary. Edmonton wins hands down on that.

No. It'd cost too much and there's problematic restrictions based on the size profile of the arena. Many concerts can't play in the Saddledome because the roof is too low. I believe there's concerns about foundation issues due to the June floods in 2013. Better to build a new one with less/no concerns about foundation and roof issues.

It might be interesting to see what types of movie productions go into the area to film just prior to blowing up the dome though. Seeing the Ctrain station sign in black summer always made me laugh. The Last of Us took advantage of a few malls being redone recently.

Money to speed up c-train issues and construction won't work. A ton of the issues are NIMBY related right now and the city keeps going back to the drawing board with public discussions, but as far as I can tell, it's more stall tactic and attempting to modify perception than it is an actual public forum about the train lines.

The municipal government wants to be a partner in the arena and the arguments about the arena have been for almost two decades now. I wouldn't be surprised of ownership didn't want them involved and would have been overjoyed to buy the land outright. But the city doesn't want that.

The tree comment is kinda random lol.

Reactions: joestevens29

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Guzzy guzzled the Smith kool-aid. If you would actually READ everything I wrote, isn't so much as the money, it is a problem with her flip flopping.

She sure doesn't sound like that self-professed libertarian she always claimed to be now.....so what the hell is she?

Anyway....don't answer. Don't give a f***. Doesn't change the fact I am paying for Ken King to get richer. I will take solace in the fact that at least Rogers doesn't cost me anything more than what I spend to go there and Katz doesn't get richer just off me merely existing.
I am drinking the Smith kool-aid but you are telling people that this makes Ken King a richer man. Please do explain. Considering Ken King never owned and the Flames, and he passed away a few years ago. For the record, I despise Smith.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I am drinking the Smith kool-aid but you are telling people that this makes Ken King a richer man. Please do explain. Considering Ken King never owned and the Flames, and he passed away a few years ago. For the record, I despise Smith.

Sorry....Murray Edwards. Sorry for not knowing the name of the tax avoiding billionaire owner of the Flames who apparantly lives in the UK. Does it really change anything?

And if you despise Smith, you should be looking at this with a little cynicism, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad