Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I know the chances of this actually ever happening are incredibly low but is there any chance Calgary would pursue NBA expansion?

If Vancouver could not make a go of it.....not a chance in hell.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Murray Edwards doing so much winning. Went from paying half to under 30% for the arena deal. No one else did today. Calgary taxpayers and Edmonton taxpayers can be united in something today :D
Yes, we are all eating shit today.

malcolm-x-angry.gif

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Wonderful that the NHL’s Ponzi Scheme growth model relies on taxpayers to fund hundreds of millions for these arenas.

No wonder these franchises are worth a billion dollars if their generational expenses can be publicly funded. Do they get to write the building amortization off as an expense too?

I’m sure Alberta’s taxpayers will be thrilled to fund Draft Kings Stadium.

Barf.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Final price will be well over 1.2 B
Yup

While it isn't the same, my small ass town in Ontario is building a second ice pad, gymnasium, 2 museums and some offices into a new building and its 4, or 5 mill over budget. A budget of around 10 mill I believe is was.

Expect closer to 1.4 is my guess.

How long will this Take ? 4 years to build ?

Reactions: dukeofjive

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgary has always had superiority complex so we just let them go along with it. I lived there for a number of years after high school (and before ever living in Edmonton....and live nowhere near either now) and it was amazing how rent free Edmonton lives in their heads (and not just the Oilers)

It is. I would live there again over Edmonton any day of the week. But not because of the people ;)

Agreed and it’s something I find annoying as a Calgarian. It’s condescending, and no offence but Calgary isn’t New York City. Our weather is a little less shitty and we have more skyscrapers, wowza.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Stadiums/Arenas should not be publicly financed. The fact people think its acceptable for billionaires to pit municipality against municipality for arenas is comical. Historically, all they do is just realocate where entertainemnt money is spent within a metro area over actually generating more.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
No provincial money is going into the construction or operation of the Calgary arena either.

They are getting $300mill towards the project. Edmonton got nada.
And Smith was also opposed to any money going towards any arena when she was in opposition. And now...suddenly the tune changed. Arena close to home. She is in power. Election next month.
Can you smell it? I can.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well earned and deserved for this fanbase. A new arena was desperately needed. I had personally thought that it was a perfect time to line up a rebuild last summer, because all signs pointed to a new arena deal... It'll take years to have it all up and ready. That area is going to be dope.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad