Confirmed with Link: Cagnoni signed to ELC

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
How many defensemen of that height are drafted or signed to ELCs?

It's clearly an impediment, unless you have sufficient skills to offer. The Sharks current management obviously believed Cagnoni has something to offer. The question is whether they were correct.
What we need is a % of players in the CHL and other development leagues that are 5'9" and 5'10", then we need a % of all drafted players at those heights, (bonus how many signed ELCs) and we have the end point which is % of defensemen playing NHL at that height. We can then determine how uphill the journey is for a player of that height. I, of course, am far too lazy to pursue this information.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Has an ELC ever made people this upset before? :sarcasm:
C'mon, no one out-upsets this board.

What we need is a % of players in the CHL and other development leagues that are 5'9" and 5'10", then we need a % of all drafted players at those heights, (bonus how many signed ELCs) and we have the end point which is % of defensemen playing NHL at that height. We can then determine how uphill the journey is for a player of that height. I, of course, am far too lazy to pursue this information.
You are management material...

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I'm just happy we have defencemen prospect thriving, let's get it going! If he manages to become what I've projected 2nd pair 2nd PP defencemen, we have won in life. I will believe until proven other wise.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, people should just be happy that players we drafted are on a trajectory to be signed to an ELC.
And not just because we have no one else to give them to. Now we have guys who--while still question marks long-term--have been doing very well, way better than what we saw in previous years from our prospects, which feels like a very positive harbinger (even though you obviously can't guarantee anything at this stage).

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I remember Ian White being a nice add for our 2011 run. 5’10 185 soaking wet. Cagnoni doesn’t have to be “the guy” but he can be a good piece for our defense.
Exactly, he doesn't need to be the savior of our defence. I think for his projection, he is doing a fine job. If he can pair up with a bigger more stay at home defencemen, he can be quite an add for the future.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
To be honest Luca Cagnoni has something in his overall presence/look that I can see in the NHL. Like I can see him as a player for years in NHL game with updated picture every year and all (in a NHL team) This is not based on his performance, just a fan vibe.
Not to mention he has all of the opportunity to take a spot in the Sharks system since we don't have a lot of traffic in the defence department.

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
We do have a lot of folks who stereotype short players here and seem phobic of short guys despite lots of 5'9 guys making huge impacts in the NHL
How many 5’9” players are actually making huge impacts. Even more important how many 5’9” defensemen are making huge impacts.

Only 5 total scored more than 40 points, all of which are forwards.

Only 12 scored more than 20 points, one 1 (Krug) is a defenseman.

Only 21 total scored even a single point, adding only a second defenseman (Spurgeon)

Playing in the NHL and succeeding at 5’9” or smaller is incredibly rare. It is a physical contact sport.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
How many 5’9” players are actually making huge impacts. Even more important how many 5’9” defensemen are making huge impacts.

Only 5 total scored more than 40 points, all of which are forwards.

Only 12 scored more than 20 points, one 1 (Krug) is a defenseman.

Only 21 total scored even a single point, adding only a second defenseman (Spurgeon)

Playing in the NHL and succeeding at 5’9” or smaller is incredibly rare. It is a physical contact sport.
Are you looking at last year only or something? Expand that list to 5 foot 9 and a half or 5 foot 10 and it's not terribly uncommon a height. Spurgeon , Matt Grzelcyk, Krug, vatanen, Girard...u could go on and on. Sime hockeydb sites never change a person's height from their draft year, even if they grew 2 inches.

And yeah he is listed as 5 foot 10 and a half, some say 5 foot 8 on several sources.

In any case, we may have a Decent player here. He's blowing expectations out of the water thus far. Something to be happy about in a prospect, not curmudgeon. If you want to be a negative Nancy, glass is half empty, kinda outlooker, that's up to you

But I mean, damn, if you want to say Johnny hockey or Marchand couldn't possibly be that good because they are short....Dan Boyle must have sucked too.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jarr92

May 7, 2013
If you want to know you can read it here. This is for player evaluations, not prospects, but you can see the complexity.

Wins Above Replacement — High Level Overview
Thanks, to be clear I already know how the models work. I just thought it was funny that Hodge would bash on Bader's model a couple days after trying to use Mr. Rooster/JFresh's model to prove his point regarding Barabanov. IMO both models have similar credibility in 2024, not great.

Re: Cagnoni, he put up great numbers obviously but seeing him in person I was left with wanting more. The games I went to, he struggled with D against junior players. I mostly saw him at the end of the year though, so he might've been playing injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad