Confirmed with Link: Cagnoni signed to ELC

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Merkley made absurd passes in junior but yea I've always speculated he couldn't process the game quick enough in the pros and lost the tool that made him a star.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Merkley made absurd passes in junior but yea I've always speculated he couldn't process the game quick enough in the pros and lost the tool that made him a star.
That and it felt like he thought he could skate by with just the Junior game so his red flags were there. I loved the boom/bust potential but he just didn't wanna learn the tools

Reactions: themelkman

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well, do they? Vegas certainly didn't have any. Neither did the Avs for the final 2.5 rounds. Nor the Bolts, famously. Blues top 6 was Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmundson, Bortuzzo, Gunnarsson. Starting to sense a pattern here...
Like I said, you don’t want a team full of tiny defensemen. But one guy under 6’0”, especially a guy who is not at the top of your lineup, is perfectly fine.

Cale Makar is a small defenseman no matter how you slice it. 5’11”.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
61RFqW2uATL.jpg

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Cagnoni just needs to build muscle. 183 at his stature is bulky
This. Size certainly matters but it isn’t really height, it’s strength. People tend to focus on height because taller guys with a bigger frame tend to be able to add more strength. You need to have enough bulk and strength to be at least somewhat effective on the boards and in front of the net. Eklund is a perfect example. He’s added enough strength to his frame so he can hold his position and even win some battles. He’s never going to dominate but at least he’s in the fight.

Reactions: Sandisfan

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
While some of JTR/Roosters takes were polarizing, he was transparent about his research and how he developed the model. It's still available to read today, see links here:

More importantly, whenever pressed about statistic models (including his own) and the rankings of a specific player, he was the first to point out that they could never replace real scouting and are solely a complimentary tool to help evaluate prospects.

Context means everything and he understood that.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This. Size certainly matters but it isn’t really height, it’s strength. People tend to focus on height because taller guys with a bigger frame tend to be able to add more strength. You need to have enough bulk and strength to be at least somewhat effective on the boards and in front of the net. Eklund is a perfect example. He’s added enough strength to his frame so he can hold his position and even win some battles. He’s never going to dominate but at least he’s in the fight.
Height correlates with reach which is a positive attribute for defensemen.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I know this devolved at times, but I think multiple things can be true and everyone is saying pretty similar things *about Luca*
- models are useful
-but only for squinting at, particularly for a sport like hockey and particularly if the model is driven mostly on points (NHLe)
- online sports personalities have an incentive to overstate the importance of models - Hodge showed two such examples, Cagnoni and Merkley, where the poster made definitive statements based on models whose outputs weren't supporting such definitive statements
- even so, Cagnoni is on a great trajectory for a 4th round pick
- even so, his path to the NHL is a very uphill one and the numbers are against him due to his size, as well as every other factor against any prospect
- it was the right thing to sign him to an ELC and it's fun and exciting for us sharks fans
- he may or may not be ready for the AHL, this seems to be where the actual disagreement is in 5 pages but even so everyone seems to agree he should be given a tryout

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I know this devolved at times, but I think multiple things can be true and everyone is saying pretty similar things *about Luca*
- models are useful
-but only for squinting at, particularly for a sport like hockey and particularly if the model is driven mostly on points (NHLe)
- online sports personalities have an incentive to overstate the importance of models - Hodge showed two such examples, Cagnoni and Merkley, where the poster made definitive statements based on models whose outputs weren't supporting such definitive statements
- even so, his path to the NHL is a very uphill one and the numbers are against him due to his size, as well as every other factor against any prospect
- it was the right thing to sign him to an ELC and it's fun and exciting for us sharks fans
- he may or may not be ready for the AHL, this seems to be where the actual disagreement is in 5 pages but even so everyone seems to agree he should be given a tryout
Isn’t the point of signing him to an ELC so they can give him a shot at camp for the AHL roster? If he isn’t good enough, they can just as readily send him back to the WHL.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Isn’t the point of signing him to an ELC so they can give him a shot at camp for the AHL roster? If he isn’t good enough, they can just as readily send him back to the WHL.
Yes, exactly. Maybe there are other intricacies that I don't understand but it seems pretty clear he's going to attend camp and get a shot at a Cuda roster spot.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Stankoven is 5'8'', Boyle is 5'11'', Berdard is the same height as Cags. They aren't apples to apples but I think just chill a bit.
Stankylegg and Berdard dont have turn their backs and go into the corner and arent at risk of getting crunched to oblivion when the opposition dumps the puck in.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
- models are useful
Get outta here with your logic and reason, what is this nonsense

In all seriousness, thank you for this well thought-out post. Totally agreed and it summarizes a three-page debate nicely imo

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
One metric to consider: per NHL.com there were 315 D that played this season. 8 were listed at 5’9” and 8 were listed at 5’10”. Those players account for right at 5% of total D. Being 5’9” or 5’10” appears to be a considerable albeit not insurmountable impediment to NHL success.
How many defensemen of that height are drafted or signed to ELCs?

It's clearly an impediment, unless you have sufficient skills to offer. The Sharks current management obviously believed Cagnoni has something to offer. The question is whether they were correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad