Confirmed with Link: Cagnoni signed to ELC

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Girard was someone who was ready to be a pro at a similar height at a young age as well.
Girard is a pretty solid comp for Cagnoni if he hits his upside. It’s not overwhelmingly likely, but it’s definitely possible and even if he doesn’t it was a good 4th round risk to take.

Something something Sam Girard was a healthy scratch in the Avs Cup run :dunce:

YouJustGotPavelskied

Feb 15, 2009
Chico
Honestly given our lack of depth at D and our lack of offense at D, I'm very pleased with this. We should give some of our existing prospects a chance to earn ice time in-case we can't find suitable free-agents. Plus the AHL will help him develop against better opponents.

Anyone got an idea how Havelid's development has been going?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Girard is a pretty solid comp for Cagnoni if he hits his upside. It’s not overwhelmingly likely, but it’s definitely possible and even if he doesn’t it was a good 4th round risk to take.
Getting a Girard or Gostisbehere outcome out of Cagnoni would be fantastic. I'm not expecting anything better than that even if Cagnoni is successful, but that would be a phenomenal outcome for that pick and a very useful player (not a gamechanger, but a cost-controlled puckmoving second-pairing guy is an extremely useful piece, and getting someone like that somehow will be necessary to contending anyway).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I do think Hodge is just saying he should stay one more season, not that he’s going to fail. It’s just Hodge phrases everything like being yelled at is a turn on, so it’s how we end up here.

It’s pretty simple: he’s aiming to go pro. He’s a really competitive kid who people have bet against and who keeps getting better, he’s going to have to prove at camp he’s good enough to stay. If he does, awesome, if he’s not, another year will be great for him.

Really happy he signed though. I think he might end up being a fan favorite when it’s all said and done.

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
The Sharks organization likes what they see in Cagnoni. Their talent evaluation is good and deserves a little more respect. Is there any news on what plans they have for him coming up?

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The Sharks organization likes what they see in Cagnoni. Their talent evaluation is good and deserves a little more respect. Is there any news on what plans they have for him coming up?
My guess is training camp first. He's AHL eligible. Another year in the WHL to bulk up wouldn't be the worst thing, but I think he can play sheltered mins in the A.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Obviously, lets see him in the prospects camp and then preseason.

I don't know if there is much development left for him at juniors, so I think he needs to be tested against bigger bodies and better players - whether that's ECHL or AHL.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I refuse to believe that you're this oblivious. You harp on the percentages of players making the NHL based on where they are drafted, so you clearly have an understanding of what is going on here. These models are simply predictive, using the data available from all past players. They are by no means gospel or a guarantee, but show that a player of that profile projects well. Is he assured of making it? No, of course not. Neither was Merkley, as evidenced by the fact that even at his best, he still had an 11% chance of failing to be an NHLer.
Wouldn't you agree there is something fundamentally flawed about a model that gave Ryan Merkley a 85% chance to make the NHL (and 76% chance to be a star!) in January 2023? At that point I would just go back to the drawing board and start over.

To paraphrase Anton Chigurh: if the model you follow brought you to this, of what use was the model?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Wouldn't you agree there is something fundamentally flawed about a model that gave Ryan Merkley a 85% chance to make the NHL (and 76% chance to be a star!) in January 2023? At that point I would just go back to the drawing board and start over.

To paraphrase Anton Chigurh: if the model you follow brought you to this, of what use was the model?
They’re statistical models, so they only rely on the numbers. Outliers will always occur, which is why guys like Merkley fail and Chris Kreider succeed. It’s just another evaluation tool, that is by no means a guarantee, just like a feeling a scout gets because a player has a great motor or comes from a good family. Dismissing the statistical models because you don’t like how they felt about Merkley is shortsighted. They have their uses, and in this specific case, it’s telling us that Cagnoni has a good chance to succeed. Does that mean he will? Again, no. He’s got his warts too, just like Merkley. We’re all aware of the challenges he’s going to face due to his size, etc. The models are just a part of the evaluation process, and ultimately, we want him to succeed because if he does it’s good for the Sharks.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

You have to separate the model and the math from those who talk about it.

People who post about things like sports stastistics online need to exagerrate, be outrageously hyperbolic, instransigent, controversial, and snide. That's what sells. No one is going to share a model or an article literred with disclaimers and talk about outliers and flaws/assumptions in their methodology. This isn't a scientific article.

Reactions: CHIshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They’re statistical models, so they only rely on the numbers. Outliers will always occur, which is why guys like Merkley fail and Chris Kreider succeed. It’s just another evaluation tool, that is by no means a guarantee, just like a feeling a scout gets because a player has a great motor or comes from a good family. Dismissing the statistical models because you don’t like how they felt about Merkley is shortsighted. They have their uses, and in this specific case, it’s telling us that Cagnoni has a good chance to succeed. Does that mean he will? Again, no. He’s got his warts too, just like Merkley. We’re all aware of the challenges he’s going to face due to his size, etc. The models are just a part of the evaluation process, and ultimately, we want him to succeed because if he does it’s good for the Sharks.
Or we can have some humility and admit that NHL amateur scouts, most of whom have years if not decades of high level scouting and playing experience, watch each prospect play in person dozens of times, have the opportunity to meet with and interview the player and his teammates, coaches and family, have access to medical reports, etc. are better in the aggregate at evaluating prospects than a model that seems to rely exclusively on points.

If we start from there then it's obvious that someone who was passed on 122 times by NHL scouting staffs in a draft that happened less than a year ago probably doesn't have "a good chance to succeed." This is of course supported by the data on actual pick success rates which is not a model but an objective historical record. We can also look at the current landscape of NHL defensemen and notice not a single one is as short as Cagnoni.

None of this is to say there's a 0.0% chance Cagnoni has a NHL career but 65% is so laughable as to completely discredit everything that guy puts out in my eyes. The ridiculous Merkley projection is just another of many examples.

Reactions: coooldude

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He'll be 20 in December. I think that means he is consider 19yo for the season.

No, he'll be 20. The easy way to figure age for a CHL season is the year the season starts in (2024) minus the player's birth year (for Cagnoni it's 2004). It doesn't matter when in the year the birthday is. You could turn 20 on January 1st (when it's still the middle of the preceding season) or December 31 (halfway into the current season) and you still count as a 20-year-old for the year.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The purpose of the model in question, as I understand it, is to say "players who scored like this turned into NHL players 50% of the time," and I have to assume that the facts bear that out.

The difficulty is figuring out what else is missing that helps you figure out whether a bust is likely or not. You can plug more and more data into the model, but you need data to go into the model and more may not exist. You can scout (which is also data that can go into the model, and I have zero doubt teams do exactly that), but that's not practical for fans, so you publicize your model and what it says. Then you tweak it and improve the data set and recognize its limitations.

One failed data point does not invalidate a model, especially when that failed data point had an expected failure rate. You can say "see, the model was wrong here" and trash the model, but more than anything else that demonstrates your own innumeracy, failure to understand the purpose of practice of modeling, and resort to an appeal to authority (particularly a directed appeal to authority) and confirmation bias.

I suppose the best appeal to authority now is that Grier gave Cagnoni an ELC. He wants to see what Cagnoni can do in the pros, and wants to have control of Cagnoni if he does work out (rather than let him go to some other team to fail or prosper).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The purpose of the model in question, as I understand it, is to say "players who scored like this turned into NHL players 50% of the time," and I have to assume that the facts bear that out.

The difficulty is figuring out what else is missing that helps you figure out whether a bust is likely or not. You can plug more and more data into the model, but you need data to go into the model and more may not exist. You can scout (which is also data that can go into the model, and I have zero doubt teams do exactly that), but that's not practical for fans, so you publicize your model and what it says. Then you tweak it and improve the data set and recognize its limitations.

One failed data point does not invalidate a model, especially when that failed data point had an expected failure rate. You can say "see, the model was wrong here" and trash the model, but more than anything else that demonstrates your own innumeracy, failure to understand the purpose of practice of modeling, and resort to an appeal to authority (particularly a directed appeal to authority) and confirmation bias.

I suppose the best appeal to authority now is that Grier gave Cagnoni an ELC. He wants to see what Cagnoni can do in the pros, and wants to have control of Cagnoni if he does work out (rather than let him go to some other team to fail or prosper).
To be clear, I think it's good that we signed Cagnoni to an ELC. I just think he should go back to Portland for another year.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Something something Sam Girard was a healthy scratch in the Avs Cup run :dunce:
Sorry Jux, but Girard was not a healthy scratch in the Avs Cup run. Barbashev broke his sternum with a dangerous hit and he was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad