C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i'm curious to see where he goes and what kind of player he ultimately becomes. personally i would have some concerns about using a top 5 pick. for the game he wants to play he wasn't very effective taking guys on 1 on 1, creating his own space, and he lacked the explosiveness you usually need playing that game at that size.

he did see the ice well and he hustles...i thought his effort and urgency really stood out as the clock was winding down against sweden today which is a valuable quality. he's got things to really like too and i don't want to bash the kid by any stretch, he may well become an excellent nhl'er. my takeaway the skating and puck control aren't currently at a level i'd expect to see from a top 5 pick. there may be reasons to project he's likely to develop in those areas and that's fair, i don't know him well enough. my observation is simply that, as of now, i was a little surprised he's considered a top 5 pick all things equal.

i really liked that dman 17 but i didn't catch a name or i'd look for a thread on him - i feel like he is going to make a team very happy. that kid is a gamer, made some high iq plays on both ends, and a very good skater.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
So were Leonard and Moore. But no one ever criticizes them. It’s just wild.
To be clear I'm a Smith fan. I just thought he had a terrible game today is all. It was an opportunity to prove he can still dominate even when the games get tighter and he had a poor showing.

And I have criticized Moore's game plenty.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So were Leonard and Moore. But no one ever criticizes them. It’s just wild.

Because some have Smith in top3/4 tier

Being compared to Carlsson& Michkov changes things

Edit,

& especially Moore does get a lot of criticism

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He certainly does seem to get a disproportionate amount of criticism on this board. 20 points in 7 games, tournament MVP. Tough game against a very good Swedish team today which made Canada look silly two times.

He wasn’t as dominating as his points would suggest.

I don’t think he put up a single game where he was great for full 60mins

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
i'm curious to see where he goes and what kind of player he ultimately becomes. personally i would have some concerns about using a top 5 pick. for the game he wants to play he wasn't very effective taking guys on 1 on 1, creating his own space, and he lacked the explosiveness you usually need playing that game at that size.

he did see the ice well and he hustles...i thought his effort and urgency really stood out as the clock was winding down against sweden today which is a valuable quality. he's got things to really like too and i don't want to bash the kid by any stretch, he may well become an excellent nhl'er. my takeaway the skating and puck control aren't currently at a level i'd expect to see from a top 5 pick. there may be reasons to project he's likely to develop in those areas and that's fair, i don't know him well enough. my observation is simply that, as of now, i was a little surprised he's considered a top 5 pick all things equal.

i really liked that dman 17 but i didn't catch a name or i'd look for a thread on him - i feel like he is going to make a team very happy. that kid is a gamer, made some high iq plays on both ends, and a very good skater.

Aram Minnetian

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Geez, talk about unreasonable expectations. No prospect can live up to this kind of scrutiny.

What do you mean?

If he wants to be compared to Carlsson& Michkov he better dominate

For Finland game the 1st 39 or so mins he was very average, the last 21 mins he was lights out.
In the Switzerland game he scored 3 points in the 3rd when the game had been over 2 hours ago.

Not once did I think he belongs in the same conversation with the 2

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
What do you mean?

For Finland game the 1st 39 or so mins he was very average, the last 21 mins he was lights out.
In the Switzerland game he scored 3 points in the 3rd when the game had been over 2 hours ago.

You’re f***ing high if you think Carlsson/Michkov/Fantilli are flawless for a full 60 on a consistent basis.

It’s ok if you don’t like him, but ffs you’re making a complete idiot of yourself with some of these takes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tough crowd when you get tournament MVP and miss a record by 1 point and people are just picking you apart, lol.

As I said in the GDT, it wasn't his finest performance... and to the other guy, he gets criticized more because he is the highest rated USNDTP player so there's more of a microscope and focus on him that come with higher expectations. That being said, he still contributed with the cross-ice assist on the powerplay for the game-tying goal and he played very well in the tournament previously and overall had an excellent season.

Nobody should feel bad taking this guy at 5, and in most seasons he's a no-brainer top 3 pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You’re f***ing high if you think Carlsson/Michkov/Fantilli are flawless for a full 60 on a consistent basis.

It’s ok if you don’t like him, but ffs you’re making a complete idiot of yourself with some of these takes.

Where did I say they are that every game?

I bought the tv package just to watch USA play and watched all their games.

He’s a great prospect but he’s not on the top tier of this class

At 5-6-7 be happy as hell to land him, at 3-4? Just no

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Where did I say they are that every game?

I bought the tv package just to watch USA play and watched all their games.

He’s a great prospect but he’s not on the top tier of this class

At 5-6-7 be happy as hell to land him, at 3-4? Just no

There's nothing wrong with talking about Smith's inconsistency, or lack of motor, or lack of defense. It's a perfectly legit subject whether he's being compared to Carlsson at 3 or Moore at 8. It's part of evaluating players that there are positives and there are negatives. People who go at other posters for mentioning negatives need to chill tf out.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith play in different leagues, against different levels of competition. Comparing them is more apples/oranges than apples/apples. If I had to choose between them - it would be Fantilli slightly ahead of Carlsson who would be slightly ahead of Smith. I would be happy with any of them.

Reactions: HawksDub89

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
There's nothing wrong with talking about Smith's inconsistency, or lack of motor, or lack of defense. It's a perfectly legit subject whether he's being compared to Carlsson at 3 or Moore at 8. It's part of evaluating players that there are positives and there are negatives. People who go at other posters for mentioning negatives need to chill tf out.
It’s not like Carlsson is more consistent or has the highest motor ever, either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's not what's going on here. What's being lampooned is the over the top critique of Smith.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
imo, of the likely top 10 (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith, Benson, Reinbacher, Leonard, Dvorsky, Moore), Smith is possibly the biggest risk. However, I believe that after Bedard/Michkov he is the player with the highest ceiling. If he can reach his full potential he will be a 100 point player in the NHL.

Reactions: majormajor

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What do you mean?

Kid must have lungs of steel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kid must have lungs of steel

I think @BB88 is not explaining themselves quite right. Will Smith isn't going to score 3 pts every period or necessarily every game. It's what he does off puck (not much!) that makes him a dicey choice. A player not scoring for 40 minutes wouldn't bear mentioning if that player contributed with some little things along the way.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think @BB88 is not explaining themselves quite right. Will Smith isn't going to score 3 pts every period or necessarily every game. It's what he does off puck (not much!) that makes him a dicey choice. A player not scoring for 40 minutes wouldn't bear mentioning if that player contributed with some little things along the way.
I was just being sarcastic, since their verbage implies he’s on the ice for all 60 mins.

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad