C/W Elmer Söderblom - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2019, 159th, DET)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Looking more obvious at this point, he was the steal of the 19’ Draft. Good chance we see him playing stretches in the NHL next season. Very unique player because of his size but that shouldn’t fool anyone. This kid is legit and just keeps getting better.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Is there a more exciting 2019 draftee selected past the 2nd round than Elmer? I can't imagine there is.

Imagine a forward the size of Zdeno Chara with the skillset of a 5'10" player. He's quick, has sick hands, hard shot, and a high IQ. If he can learn a mean streak and play a more powerforward role, he could develop into a highly unique player that we haven't seen before.

I hope he plays in the AHL next season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is there a more exciting 2019 draftee selected past the 2nd round than Elmer? I can't imagine there is.

Imagine a forward the size of Zdeno Chara with the skillset of a 5'10" player. He's quick, has sick hands, hard shot, and a high IQ. If he can learn a mean streak and play a more powerforward role, he could develop into a highly unique player that we haven't seen before.

I hope he plays in the AHL next season.

That might happen as he plays more in North America and has people taking shots at him.

He is looking more and more like a potential Tage Thompson type. (something I would not have said before this season as a positive)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My big concern is, will he be able to stick handle like that on smaller ice?
I don't think the ice surface is necessarily the deciding factor, it's more about playing against guys who are generally bigger and better at breaking up plays. I think he'll get there but it could take a year or two of learning and splitting time in AHL.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
They are apparently negotiating him coming over. Horcoff had an interview the other day and mentioned it.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Just how good is his skating for a 6 foot 8 forward? I really like the idea of this player, seems like something you’d create in a NHL video game hahaha

Reactions: Wats

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Just how good is his skating for a 6 foot 8 forward? I really like the idea of this player, seems like something you’d create in a NHL video game hahaha

He's just a little bit faster than McDavid and shoots the puck a little bit better than Ovie.

Lol, I would say he skates similarly to Rasmussen. He moves well for a guy his size but isn't particularly fast or quick or anything. I don't see his skating being a weakness or strength in the NHL.

Maybe some other guys have seen his skating more than me though and can peg it a little better

Reactions: grentthealien

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
He's just a little bit faster than McDavid and shoots the puck a little bit better than Ovie.

Lol, I would say he skates similarly to Rasmussen. He moves well for a guy his size but isn't particularly fast or quick or anything. I don't see his skating being a weakness or strength in the NHL.

Maybe some other guys have seen his skating more than me though and can peg it a little better

Much better skater than Ras IMO (guy is constantly falling). Check the highlights by icehockeygifs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Much better than Rasmussen. Also a far better puckhandler. Also a good 20lbs heavier.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Much better skater than Ras IMO (guy is constantly falling). Check the highlights by icehockeygifs.
I guess I was only looking at speed not how solid he is on his feet. I compelely agree Ras is soft. If the kid starts playing to his size I think he will become a solid player for us.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Echoing the sentiment that Soderblom is a much better skater than Ras. That’s a bad comparison.

Soderblom isn’t fast, but he’s an incredibly smooth skater. Great 4-way movement and mechanics, not just for a guy his size. In tight, he almost looks like he’s a 6’0 guy who only appears bigger because the camera has a 15%+ zoom on him or something.

Reactions: grentthealien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad