C/W Elmer Söderblom - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2019, 159th, DET)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Again, plenty of players “played to their strengths” in lower leagues and were very successful and failed at the NHL level playing that way. I don’t see him being a successful top 6 player if he doesn’t learn to use his teammates better. We saw this first hand with Athanasiou, who constantly played to his strengths but never learned how to fix the flaws in his game
Athanasiou is a half-a-point per game player in the NHL, I think we should be ecstatic if Söderblom can do the same.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Sure, you didn't exactly said that, but reading between the lines and the way people act as soon as point out a single flaw or mistake in a player... it's always the same reaction.

So if he isn't flawless, what do you think are his flaws then?

Nobody said he is flawless.

The comments targeting invalid criticisms. Stating he needs to improve his shot when it's probably the 2nd most important aspect of his game is a head scratcher. He plays in probably the 2nd best men's league in the world and has shown, with his shot, that he can score from all ranges in the offensive zone with it. He proved that same thing at the junior level.

Stating he doesn't use his linemates very well but not having much basis of it other than lower assist than goal totals is a bad argument. Nobody is proclaiming him to be the second coming of Gretzky but he's primarily a shoot first player. That is not indication of being a BAD passer. And someone providing evidence of him being able to pass the puck on the breakout or neutral zone isn't proclaiming him to be elite there.

If we're getting down to brass tacks with Soderblom, the areas of work for him are still his skating balance, physical consistency because the guy could be an absolute monster, and overall consistency. Goal scorers by nature are streaky players. He could improve his play away from the puck to contribute more when not scoring goals. And he's gotten much stronger but still needs to

The strengths? Reach, stickhandling, shot, and offensive smarts. He's pretty creative offensively. We're not seeing him score goals like Justin Abdelkader having Datsyuk and Zetterberg bounce pucks off him. The dude is making moves up the boards and out of the corners when cutting to the net.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Athanasiou is a half-a-point per game player in the NHL, I think we should be ecstatic if Söderblom can do the same.
Because he’s a highly offensive player who’s rest of his game has him paid very little and not a top 6 player on a contending team. And yes if Soderblum can be a solid 3rd liner who’s all around game is much better than Athanasiou then that would be great, but that was never the original point ever made by me.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

The comments targeting invalid criticisms. Stating he needs to improve his shot when it's probably the 2nd most important aspect of his game is a head scratcher. He plays in probably the 2nd best men's league in the world and has shown, with his shot, that he can score from all ranges in the offensive zone with it. He proved that same thing at the junior level.

Stating he doesn't use his linemates very well but not having much basis of it other than lower assist than goal totals is a bad argument. Nobody is proclaiming him to be the second coming of Gretzky but he's primarily a shoot first player. That is not indication of being a BAD passer. And someone providing evidence of him being able to pass the puck on the breakout or neutral zone isn't proclaiming him to be elite there.

If we're getting down to brass tacks with Soderblom, the areas of work for him are still his skating balance, physical consistency because the guy could be an absolute monster, and overall consistency. Goal scorers by nature are streaky players. He could improve his play away from the puck to contribute more when not scoring goals. And he's gotten much stronger but still needs to

The strengths? Reach, stickhandling, shot, and offensive smarts. He's pretty creative offensively. We're not seeing him score goals like Justin Abdelkader having Datsyuk and Zetterberg bounce pucks off him. The dude is making moves up the boards and out of the corners when cutting to the net.
You’re misinterpreting bad passer and not using your linemates well. He makes a lot of plays where he stickhandles too much, holds onto the puck too much or looks for the goal too much instead of looking for his teammates as well.

Why do you think Frolunda fans, who see him much more than we do, are saying the exact same thing about him?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Good if you him that way, I just see him a bit differently. We'll see how his game translates to the NHL. I don't think he's a bad passer, he just doesn't pass enough in my opinion. He creates a lot of space with his speed, size, hands but often looks off his teammates in favor of doing it himself, and sometimes that ends up being a mistake, and sometimes a goal. I think it's awareness + decision-making for him.

Last edited:

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I just want to add that the game is quite different in SHL compared to NHL. It's not as quick and north/south oriented and that puck possession is one of Frölundas main keys to success (just like most of the better teams in SHL) and that I'm quite sure that Söderblom has gotten directives to hold the puck and create those long zonetimes. I think of him like Rydahl for example that also can tend or seem to hog the puck, cycle the offensive zone without passing, perhaps using a drop or just his speed and body to find a shot.

I don't think he will have a problem in the NHL.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Every clip I see of Soderblom reminds me of Johan Franzen, who I still think would've been a 50 goal scorer at the NHL level if not for injuries and psychological issues.

Getting an NHL talent in the sixth round is always a bonus. If Soderblom can pot 15 at the NHL level and control the zone with his skating and huge reach that's an even bigger bonus.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He's going to be an absolute nightmare for opposing dmen and goalies at net front, especially when he fills out and gets stronger. His size combined with the fact he can skate well, handle the puck with skill, and score goals makes him an extremely interesting prospect. Yzerman may have snagged a late round gem.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
He's going to be an absolute nightmare for opposing dmen and goalies at net front, especially when he fills out and gets stronger. His size combined with the fact he can skate well, handle the puck with skill, and score goals makes him an extremely interesting prospect. Yzerman may have snagged a late round gem.

Pretty sure Holland was still the GM, but likely a Hakan Andersson pick anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad