C/W Elmer Söderblom - Grand Rapids per JF12 (2019, 159th, DET)

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
This guys could turn out to be one of the best steals in the century. 203 cm (6.8) 108kg (238 lbs) with silky hands. His net presence alone should grant him a roster spot.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Definitely a cool player. Swedish commentators giving him a lot of praise on how he trains etc.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hmmm, congratulations Red Wings.

Elmer showing tons of talent and combining this with his impressive size.

2019, 159th (???), really, what a steal.

Reactions: mantha39

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
In limited viewings, he reminds me of JvR, but 5 inches taller. Really nice hands and skating, can be a possession beast at times, though not as mean as you’d like for a huge player.

Excellent potential, could end up a huge steal.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Definitely has a lot of work to do yet on his skating and strength.
But he's got good skill and a real smoothness to his game for someone who looks a bit uncoordinated at times. And sometimes he looks a blue-chip prospect out there.
Also seems to have the IQ and patience of a player. The give and go with Broberg on Niederbacher's goal- that was Soderblom directing traffic on that goal. Calling for the pass then immediately giving it right back to Broberg.
He's still a bit of a longshot, but it's getting easier and easier to see him as a real prospect.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
He doesn't seem to have gotten used with his huge body yet I would guess he needs a couple of more years before he is. When he does, he will be awesome!

For obvious reasons, he has a lot of similarities with Tage Thompson...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In limited viewings, he reminds me of JvR, but 5 inches taller. Really nice hands and skating, can be a possession beast at times, though not as mean as you’d like for a huge player.

Excellent potential, could end up a huge steal.

Definitely doesnt have a mean bone in his body but I wonder sometimes if its because hes still pretty weak and doesnt have great balance. Hes a guy that I could see pulling a Franzen and all of a sudden 4-5 years from now when the wings have a good team again, he just kinda bursts on the scene and is a good player and people wonder where the hell he came from all of a sudden

Reactions: ponder

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Really, really impressive shift in OT. Never heard about that guy.

He reminds me of Joel Armia for the way he protects the puck, except he's much faster, and MUCH taller.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Soderblom in OT.

Was impressed with this work. The team had been pinned in their own end for 20-25 seconds after that corner battle, I figured Soderblom would be gassed. But he created something.

I can tell you this. 18 months or so ago, after the draft, he surprised me with his speed and skill in the Wings 3-on-3 prospect game.
And then during the prospect tournament, I thought he really looked good.
But he just seemed like one of those "who knows" draft picks.
18 months later, I think he's a lock for a contract from Detroit.
His skating is much improved.
And he's got balls. He goes for it.
If his Swedish league team can't get him pro minutes, Detroit should get him to Grand Rapids, ASAP. He's wasting important development time playing in Swedish juniors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughes Hefner

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Soderblom in OT.

Was impressed with this work. The team had been pinned in their own end for 20-25 seconds after that corner battle, I figured Soderblom would be gassed. But he created something.

I can tell you this. 18 months or so ago, after the draft, he surprised me with his speed and skill in the Wings 3-on-3 prospect game.
And then during the prospect tournament, I thought he really looked good.
But he just seemed like one of those "who knows" draft picks.
18 months later, I think he's a lock for a contract from Detroit.
His skating is much improved.
And he's got balls. He goes for it.
If his Swedish league team can't get him pro minutes, Detroit should get him to Grand Rapids, ASAP. He's wasting important development time playing in Swedish juniors.

So to sum it up, you're very impressed with his development and at the same time think the best course of action is that he as quickly as possible should get away from where he's had that development. On a team where his father is part of the coaching staff. That is an interesting take to say the least.

Reactions: Aahlstroem

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Redwings seem to have done it again with the late gems. A guy with this size and touch at 159th is pretty incredible. Does anyone know why he went so late?

skating, some pretty underwhelming production in Swedish juniors his draft year

still even at the time he probably should have at least gone a round or two higher than the 6th just on the combination of having some skill to go along with being 6'8"

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So to sum it up, you're very impressed with his development and at the same time think the best course of action is that he as quickly as possible should get away from where he's had that development. On a team where his father is part of the coaching staff. That is an interesting take to say the least.

There's a reason nobody really pays attention to him other than for a laugh.

Reactions: newfy

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

It's more to the point that now that he has dominated in the Superelit/J20, if Frolunda won't let him play against men, then the AHL would be the better route. This is actually pretty common. Frolunda is one of the best teams in Europe (where Raymond sat on the 4th line last year) and their primary goal is not to develop players they know are going to leave. They play to win. And while they will likely give Soderblom some ice time based on pure merit, based on how they used him this Fall, Grand Rapids likely is a better option as a pure development league playing against men.

To sum it up, if he is either going to play 6 mins per night in Frolunda or be stuck in the J20 against 160 pound teenagers, then yes, AHL is better. And none of the players in the SHL are coming to NA from what I understand to make any more room for him (based on SHL contracts). That said, Frolunda could loan him to an Allsvenskan team, which might yet happen too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad