C/W Elmer Söderblom - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2019, 159th, DET)

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Watching the U19 tournament, this guy looks interesting.

Surprising speed for someone so big. I know Hakan said his skating was decent, but I didn't believe it until this 5 nations tourny. The goal the other day wasn't that impressive it was at a really weird angle, but I was impressed with his forecheck and puck skills. Then again the big issue with a player of his size is, he's able to just manhandle kids. Has someone seen him play in the SHL and this tourny and compare his play? I'm very curious how he plays in a mens league.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Surprising speed for someone so big. I know Hakan said his skating was decent, but I didn't believe it until this 5 nations tourny. The goal the other day wasn't that impressive it was at a really weird angle, but I was impressed with his forecheck and puck skills. Then again the big issue with a player of his size is, he's able to just manhandle kids. Has someone seen him play in the SHL and this tourny and compare his play? I'm very curious how he plays in a mens league.

I know what you mean, hes hard to get a read on. He was a 6th round pick and came into the wings prospects tourney and looked really good. It looks like theres some potential there but he is huge and how much of that is dominating kids? Hard to say

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Had a long think about the best path for Elmer to unleash that beastly potential. He needs atleast a year in the Allsvenskan to develop. He has nothing to learn in the U20's and he has already gotten some Second tier Swedish experience and even some games for Frolunda in the men's league. You could clearly see that that was a bit too much so I hope they don't rush him.

I believe this is the best path:

2020-2021: Allsvenskan
2021-2022: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2022-2023: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2023-2024: AHL

This means that he should be 23 years old when moving to the AHL. This gives him time to play Pro and get into his body since he has a massive frame. This is the worst case scenario though, maybe he goes to the AHL a year before the 2023-2024 season.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Had a long think about the best path for Elmer to unleash that beastly potential. He needs atleast a year in the Allsvenskan to develop. He has nothing to learn in the U20's and he has already gotten some Second tier Swedish experience and even some games for Frolunda in the men's league. You could clearly see that that was a bit too much so I hope they don't rush him.

I believe this is the best path:

2020-2021: Allsvenskan
2021-2022: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2022-2023: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2023-2024: AHL

This means that he should be 23 years old when moving to the AHL. This gives him time to play Pro and get into his body since he has a massive frame. This is the worst case scenario though, maybe he goes to the AHL a year before the 2023-2024 season.
Right now it looks like he's gonna be playing in the SHL 20/21. Frölunda's lines are gonna look something like this (I think):

Hjalmarsson - Mursak - X
Carlsson - Sundström - X
Rosseli Olsen - Lasu - X
Mustonen - Lundqvist - Friberg

Right now it doesn't sound like they're gonna sign another winger for the start of the season. So you got Raymond, Henriksson, Söderblom and Nässén battling it out for those last three spots, Raymond and Henriksson are probably the missing wingers in line one and two. Which leaves the third line and the 13th forward left for Söderblom/Nässén.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Doesn't get to play a lot but nobody can take the puck from him when he's on the ice. Just drew two penalties on the same shift.

Reactions: Henkka
Oct 18, 2006
Wow the skill he flashes in those clips is beautiful. Seeing stats is one thing but when you actually see his skill that’s another. Size, skating, skill and judging by that, some strength too. Could have a good one on our hands.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Wow the skill he flashes in those clips is beautiful. Seeing stats is one thing but when you actually see his skill that’s another. Size, skating, skill and judging by that, some strength too. Could have a good one on our hands.
Man you don't see that kind of skill in a 6'7 player very often. Really intriguing prospect

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
If he can improve his balance and lower body strength then this guy will be unstoppable down low on the cycle.
Luckily Frölunda's got a conditioning coach who is among the best in Sweden. He's a former player and still better trained than some of the players on the team today.

Funny thing with yesterday's game is that Söderblom only played 6:10. It felt like a lot more with the impact he had on the game. His best performance with the men's team by far.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He’s still a project but - wow - I can’t remember the last time I saw a guy that big look so light on his skates.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Watching him skate reminds me a bit of Holmstrom

Yeah. In a good and bad way.

Elmer has way better stick skills than Homer ever did, but that skating is about as bad as Homer's was at the beginning of his career when he couldn't stand up for more than 5 seconds without falling down.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah. In a good and bad way.

Elmer has way better stick skills than Homer ever did, but that skating is about as bad as Homer's was at the beginning of his career when he couldn't stand up for more than 5 seconds without falling down.

Huh? Söderblom is a very good skater for his size.

Completely different type of players. I don't see any similarities at all with Holmström.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

Completely different type of players. I don't see any similarities at all with Holmström.
Yeah, Holmstrom was a physical pest who got lots of dirty goals on redirections from Lidstrom. Soderblom is nowhere near as physical but possesses skating and hands that Holmstrom could only dream of having. He's still super raw but his goal scoring ability is no joke.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

The skating stance and the lack of balance are very much like Holmstrom when he was in the league his first 3 years. Elmer may be a good skater for his size, but he's still not a very good skater. The other similarity to the play is how well Elmer works in the corners with the puck.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Holmstrom isn't necessarily a compliment.

Homer had all the makings of a 3rd or 4th line winger, except he was damn near the best ever at taking a beating in front of the net, screening the goalie, and deflecting pucks in.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The skating stance and the lack of balance are very much like Holmstrom when he was in the league his first 3 years. Elmer may be a good skater for his size, but he's still not a very good skater. The other similarity to the play is how well Elmer works in the corners with the puck.

I don't know, there are probably 100+ players I would compare Söderblom to before even thinking of Holmström. Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Söderblom is some 7 inches taller and not really a net front player.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
IIRC, Babcock had some funny stuff to say back in the day about Holmstrom's skating. Something along the lines of "When he's skating hard, it looks like someone's holding on to a rope tied around his waist. He's not allowed to skate with the puck."

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Holmstrom isn't necessarily a compliment.

Homer had all the makings of a 3rd or 4th line winger, except he was damn near the best ever at taking a beating in front of the net, screening the goalie, and deflecting pucks in.

To be the best ever, or close to is a compliment IMO. Great role players are just as important in building a team as the stars. Imagine him and Rasmussen in playoff games parked in front of a teams goalie... Zadina and Raymond coming off the wing with huge screens. I'm pretty excited about our prospect mix.

Reactions: decaguard

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
To be the best ever, or close to is a compliment IMO. Great role players are just as important in building a team as the stars. Imagine him and Rasmussen in playoff games parked in front of a teams goalie... Zadina and Raymond coming off the wing with huge screens. I'm pretty excited about our prospect mix.
we dont have the highly talented centers but now with zadina n raymond weve got wingers that are excellent passers whom can also make space for themselves where they can then shoot or pass from . so maybe we change design from highly talented yzerman/fedorov like centers to more of a grinding center with all around talented wingers . plus big bodied smart dman that are also excellent passers . i like that design as the big bodied d is very effective in their own end . and having good skating talented wingers takes the pressure off your centers to haul the mail and produce chances . no laine or ovechkin (forgive me please) type wingers , just a bunch of good skating wingers swarming the rink like bee's

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad