C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
True, but you can compare him to other 2022 draft picks playing in the AHL this year. He's currently the leading AHL scorer from his draft class - here are all the 1st rounders playing in the AHL this year:

View attachment 798723

I think he jumps a bunch of these guys. Notably Gaucher, Kasper, Mesar, and Miroshnichenko,. Potentially Kemell and Wright too.

I think with the benefit of hindsight, he's pretty easily a top 10-15 player in a redraft.
Watched him a couple weeks ago and really the only one that stood out. I posted in the Jets forum but there was always talk about his "iq" and making dumb passes. I saw none of that, he made some very wise decisions and passes. We have some good prospects but I really hope we do not trade Lambert, I think he's going to be really good.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Watched him a couple weeks ago and really the only one that stood out. I posted in the Jets forum but there was always talk about his "iq" and making dumb passes. I saw none of that, he made some very wise decisions and passes. We have some good prospects but I really hope we do not trade Lambert, I think he's going to be really good.
Could just be that the Finnish game didn't suit him. For example, if he's more about the fast-paced North-South type North American play, he might simply get bored playing Finnish systems, and due to that might get impatient and make some dumb decisions. But if he gets to play a more engaging system where he isn't so bored, then he might better be able to make the right play.

Just guessing of course but there were some signs that Liiga play for example wasn't really a fit.

Still, it's pretty impressive how quickly he's managed to adapt to AHL level. His WHL season was fine but still wasn't good enough to predict this kind of success. Hopefully that means that next season, he'll be able to adapt to NHL level play as well.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Could just be that the Finnish game didn't suit him. For example, if he's more about the fast-paced North-South type North American play, he might simply get bored playing Finnish systems, and due to that might get impatient and make some dumb decisions. But if he gets to play a more engaging system where he isn't so bored, then he might better be able to make the right play.

Just guessing of course but there were some signs that Liiga play for example wasn't really a fit.

Still, it's pretty impressive how quickly he's managed to adapt to AHL level. His WHL season was fine but still wasn't good enough to predict this kind of success. Hopefully that means that next season, he'll be able to adapt to NHL level play as well.
No, the finnish game wasn't the issue. It was tight checking and lack of physical skills as a 17 year old playing against men. Also just his immaturity and the people he had around him that caused diatractions. He was probably told to cut those things out. That and he probably knew it was either perform or forget the NHL dream. No more changes of scenery to make excuses.

Happy for him that he is performing. I was a big doubter of his when he was drafted, due to the above.

Reactions: hn777

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
wanted lambert at 9th for wings
I'd love to know the whole story of how his stock plummeted and why no other team would take a chance at him before we took him. Like this guy had top ten potential then fell off the map from every single team? The draft is a crapshoot as it is once you get out of the top 15. How would no team just say let's take a gamble here and hopefully it pays off. The likelihood of anyone in the 20-30 range turning into anything decent is quite low, so why not atleast risk it on someone with star potential.

Reactions: Dutronc

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'd love to know the whole story of how his stock plummeted and why no other team would take a chance at him before we took him. Like this guy had top ten potential then fell off the map from every single team? The draft is a crapshoot as it is once you get out of the top 15. How would no team just say let's take a gamble here and hopefully it pays off. The likelihood of anyone in the 20-30 range turning into anything decent is quite low, so why not atleast risk it on someone with star potential.
He just did not produce leading up to his draft anywhere he was playing in Finland, in both Liiga and the Finnish NJT. You could see the raw talent and skillset but against pro men and his elite peers he looked mid. Tumbled all the way down from being one of the elite lottery pick forwards of the draft with Cooley and Wright to almost out of the 1st entirely. Struggled in the AHL after COVID and injuries in the first half last season and didnt really find his groove until he went to Seattle and broke out.

Reactions: hn777 and kylbaz

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think Lambert fell in draft because he mostly played like crap in Liiga. Seemed to stagnate and kept doing the same mistakes over and over again. Also switched teams often and there were rumours about his meddling dad.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lambert has been the most productive AHL player from the 2022 draft:

1710250710651.png

Still crazy that he fell to 30th. There's no way there were 29 guys better than him in that draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Three areas in Lambert's game that I think have improved notably since being drafted:

1. Engagement - he has developed a strong penchant for forechecking, and is effective with his speed. He's not a big or physical player per se, but he doesn't shy away or play an excessively perimeter game. This is an important step for his NHL prospects.

2. Read and react - Lambert had a reputation and penchant for tunnel vision with the puck, but he's really improved his vision and now he reads and reacts as a passer. He's now good at reading teammates and getting them the puck on time and in space. So he's a much better facilitator now.

3. Shot - with his speed and hands, he generates lots of scoring opportunities for himself but earlier he wasn't beating goalies with his shot. However, this year he seems to have found the range and his shot has improved in power, it seems. So he's now beating goalies clean, either on the rush down the right side or from the deep slot. Adding that finishing threat makes him more dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad