C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bergeron comparison is a comparison of playing style and if you watch Wright's defensive zone play, combined with his offensive skill, it's reasonable.

As for the other bit, it's not the worst thing I've seen him write. In 2017, he said Cale Makar and Erik Brannstrom were "the same player"

Anyhow, I'll repeat what I wrote earlier, as you appear to have missed it. He is not always right (no scout is) but him saying Wright's playing style compared to Bergeron's was a hell of a lot more accurate than some of the ones I've seen on this board.
Wright was a powerful skater with great straight line speed and elite shooting capabilities who floated around the ice when he didn't have the puck. The stylistic comparison makes no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hilariously? Dude, it was Kyle Woodlief of Red Line Report. I mean, you can disagree with him all you want, but the guy has pretty good track record for evaluating talent. Every scout makes mistakes, of course, but this guy makes a living at this. People pay him for his scouting reports.

Bergeron comparison is a comparison of playing style and if you watch Wright's defensive zone play, combined with his offensive skill, it's reasonable.

As for the other bit, it's not the worst thing I've seen him write. In 2017, he said Cale Makar and Erik Brannstrom were "the same player"

Anyhow, I'll repeat what I wrote earlier, as you appear to have missed it. He is not always right (no scout is) but him saying Wright's playing style compared to Bergeron's was a hell of a lot more accurate than some of the ones I've seen on this board.

The playstyle difference is precisely why the Bergeron - Wright comparison was ridiculous. And I mean it literally, it deserved ridicule.

He didn't have Bergeron's sense about where to be and he was the polar opposite from Bergeron in terms of ability to win the battle. Bergeron didn't just passively outthink opponents, he was engaging quickly, digging in for body position and lifting sticks and otherwise being physically engaged. Wright was one of the most contact-averse top draft prospects I can recall. He would very often lose his balance under light contact. I would say Wright looks much more natural now, he's improved his balance and strength and most importantly become much more aggressive with the puck. But he looks like a scoring line center prospect not like a future Selke candidate.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad