C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
He should get more reps up in the NHL next season because of Wennberg trade.

If that does not work, then I need to check my evaluations on how well NHL works for players whose main way to play is to wait the game to come at them. That kinda feels maybe bit too slow approach nowadays.

Still, the second line center spot should be realistic/optimistic projection for him even if it does not come instantly.

Reactions: samsagat

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
MTL fan here.

I'm happy for Wright. He's been good in the playoffs for Coachella.

A lot of bad mouthing towards him. He doesn't really deserved it in my mind.

For me, belittling someone doesn't bring you up.

I'm happy with Slafkovsky as he's turning into a beast.

But that doesn't have to be at the expense of Wright, who seems to be a good kid and a good hockey player.

He should get more reps up in the NHL next season because of Wennberg trade.

If that does not work, then I need to check my evaluations on how well NHL works for players whose main way to play is to wait the game to come at them. That kinda feels maybe bit too slow approach nowadays.

Still, the second line center spot should be realistic/optimistic projection for him even if it does not come instantly.

He's gonna be a good hockey player for Seattle, mark my words.😉😁

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Looks like he’s got a nice duel going this series with Caps C prospect Lapierre.. looking forward to game 5 tonight.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
3 assists, Coachella Valley forces OT, after wrights block shot rebounds to Fleury, not exactly a display of his passing ability more of his forecheck and ability to support the play but right now the 2nd line has been CVs most effective and during a must win game, and its the playoffs where less space is afforded and you gotta win battles, which they've done this series a fair bit.

Edit: Hershey wins quickly into OT, Wright finishes the playoffs with 13 points in 12 games which should put him tied for 3rd in scoring on his team and is the only PPG player in the playoffs on CV. Makes you wonder how many points he could've gotten if he wasn't injured, still a big step forward especially considering how much more engaged and active he looked this year. Lapierre finishes as leading scorer during the playoffs.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Glad to see him having a great year. This feels like his first real positive season since his 15 year old season. I projected him as a 30 goal guy during his draft year, and for a while I was concerned that he was going to stall out. But it looks like he still has that potential.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Kinda crazy he is only 20 people talking like he is 25. I get the hype pre draft, but he is on track for a top 10 pick. I think of a guy like Nylander who was in a similar spot at 20, lighting up the AHL unable to stick in the NHL due to consistency issues.

I don;t think he is as good as Nylander but is for sure on track to be an NHLer

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kinda crazy he is only 20 people talking like he is 25. I get the hype pre draft, but he is on track for a top 10 pick. I think of a guy like Nylander who was in a similar spot at 20, lighting up the AHL unable to stick in the NHL due to consistency issues.

I don;t think he is as good as Nylander but is for sure on track to be an NHLer

He was always on track to be an NHLer.

I still just don't think he projects as a C. Like, if I was naming the NHLer he was closest to in playstyle it would be ... Brock Boeser, or something. Passive, low-motor player with great hands/finishing skills who can drift out of games for a large stretch and then is lethal when they get one chance.

I just don't see how his motor or his overall defensive game will play at C. To me, he's a classic winger toolset.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He was always on track to be an NHLer.

I still just don't think he projects as a C. Like, if I was naming the NHLer he was closest to in playstyle it would be ... Brock Boeser, or something. Passive, low-motor player with great hands/finishing skills who can drift out of games for a large stretch and then is lethal when they get one chance.

I just don't see how his motor or his overall defensive game will play at C. To me, he's a classic winger toolset.
His motor and defense have shown improvement over the season already.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I mean, it's obviously going to improve and will improve. But it's coming from a place of 'really, really bad'.
His defense isn't bad. It has become one of his strengths this season in Coachella. He has been aggressive on the forecheck, throwing his body to block shots. His goal-scoring is also beyond just his elite shot. He has been driving the net and has not shied away from contact. Bylsma has done a ton of good for Wright's confidence.

Reactions: Dominance

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His defense isn't bad. It has become one of his strengths this season in Coachella. He has been aggressive on the forecheck, throwing his body to block shots. His goal-scoring is also beyond just his elite shot. He has been driving the net and has not shied away from contact. Bylsma has done a ton of good for Wright's confidence.

I've watched him play about 10-12 games this year between preseason/NHL/AHL and his defense is legitimately bad. He just doesn't know where to go in his own zone, doesn't compete hard, and his puck management is ... not good.

Unless he's somehow turned into a completely different player in the playoffs, which I doubt.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've watched him play about 10-12 games this year between preseason/NHL/AHL and his defense is legitimately bad. He just doesn't know where to go in his own zone, doesn't compete hard, and his puck management is ... not good.

Unless he's somehow turned into a completely different player in the playoffs, which I doubt.
I would definitely suggest watching more games next season to re-evaluate this. You are likely to be surprised.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would definitely suggest watching more games next season to re-evaluate this. You are likely to be surprised.

It would require that he completely changed who he is as a player in the last two months.

Every viewing I had of him this year was the same. No compete, poor positional sense defensively, drifted out of games, hands and talent led to production when a chance presented itself.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It would require that he completely changed who he is as a player in the last two months.

Every viewing I had of him this year was the same. No compete, poor positional sense defensively, drifted out of games, hands and talent led to production when a chance presented itself.
And I am telling you based on his playoff run. I am not making him out to be the next savior over here; I am saying that his defense was not a negative for the team. But then again, I generally don't dwell too much on expectations before the draft. As long as I am seeing steady improvement in a player his age, I am good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad