Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Kuraly, Bean, Olivier, Nylander, among others appear to be potentially on the chopping block?

Bean probably because his QO is too high. Nylander is cheap enough that he can get waived if we end up not needing him to start the year. Guys will get injured before long and he'll play.

Kuraly/Olivier 4th lines have been consistently pretty bad, but tbf they have played way too tough minutes too

That's really not true. They've had some sterling runs. A couple years ago with Robinson.

And in the last two years Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier played 126 minutes together, and despite the heavy defensive load, they still put up 53% in xGF and 50% in goals results, 6 GF and 6 GA. That's great for a 4th line.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That's really not true. They've had some sterling runs. A couple years ago with Robinson.

And in the last two years Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier played 126 minutes together, and despite the heavy defensive load, they still put up 53% in xGF and 50% in goals results, 6 GF and 6 GA. That's great for a 4th line.
Isn't that just the Danforth effect? Would love to see Kuraly xG% with and without Danforth for 22-23 if you have it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn't that just the Danforth effect? Would love to see Kuraly xG% with and without Danforth for 22-23 if you have it

Danforth only played 6 games that year. Here's the two year numbers, you can play around with it.

Yes, Kuraly was much much better with Danforth than without him.

Which is a big part of why it would be incredibly foolish to move Danforth. A team that needs strong consistent veterans should never trade a player like him.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Danforth only played 6 games that year. Here's the two year numbers, you can play around with it.

Yes, Kuraly was much much better with Danforth than without him.

Which is a big part of why it would be incredibly foolish to move Danforth. A team that needs strong consistent veterans should never trade a player like him.
Sorry meant 23-24. But yeah agreed on Danforth. Should be building the new 4th line around him

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Look not trying to be negative but I want the team more competitive next season. I know everyone is enamored with the Lindstrom but he is like a 2-4 year savings account. By the time he is ready Johnny will be on the decline so I’ll forget about him for now.

I want a upgraded roster player to step into the 1C temporarily to help Johnny but be our 2C longer term along with better defense. So we will see how the next couple of weeks shape up.

I am now on the Necas camp for 2C now. I have watched a lot of him over the past week. He flies like a heat seeking missile (very fast) and is a shoot first player. In fact he logged more shots per game than any other player on Carolina. His entire career was a center until he was drafted but never really got a consistent opportunity with Carolina. He also was one of their scoring leaders in playoffs for Carolina. Along with being 25yrs old, 6’2, 200lbs and plays defensively responsible. I wouldn’t have traded the 4OA for him as well but I would take a different run at acquiring him.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In listening to Waddell talk after the draft, he very very much cares about skating. Skating ability, speed, all of that. He says its the first thing he asks.

With that, given the amount of D we just took, and the relationship with the organization...I have a sneaky sneaky thought that Jiricek could be on the market.

In saying that, it doesnt seem like we're going to be active at all on the UFA market given Waddell's comments

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
In listening to Waddell talk after the draft, he very very much cares about skating. Skating ability, speed, all of that. He says its the first thing he asks.

With that, given the amount of D we just took, and the relationship with the organization...I have a sneaky sneaky thought that Jiricek could be on the market.

In saying that, it doesnt seem like we're going to be active at all on the UFA market given Waddell's comments
Had a somewhat similar thought: Maybe Jiricek said last year pissed him off enough to want to play elsewhere

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH

a package of Laine + Jiri + a high pick would fetch an awful lot

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Jarmo got the rep of being tough for UFAs to negotiate with at times to the point it seemed to damage relationships. Does Waddell have any similar rep?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Any every skater was 6'2" or larger. Not more small guys for a bit. We've got enough of those.

I'm not concerned about all of those D that were just drafted. None of them are even close to be ready to play in the NHL and I don't think that ties to Jiricek at all. I think it ties to our organizational defensive depth not showing much promise to fix the issues we have. We need more big bodies now and in the future.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Any every skater was 6'2" or larger. Not more small guys for a bit. We've got enough of those.

I'm not concerned about all of those D that were just drafted. None of them are even close to be ready to play in the NHL and I don't think that ties to Jiricek at all. I think it ties to our organizational defensive depth not showing much promise to fix the issues we have. We need more big bodies now and in the future.
Its less so about the kids we picked and more about what Waddell wants in his team going forward. He talked the talk and walked the walk. The man wants good skaters.

Does that mean theres no room for Jiricek or anybody who isnt a great skater? Nah. But I just thought I would throw it out there.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Its less so about the kids we picked and more about what Waddell wants in his team going forward. He talked the talk and walked the walk. The man wants good skaters.

Does that mean theres no room for Jiricek or anybody who isnt a great skater? Nah. But I just thought I would throw it out there.
I haven't listened to what he said yet so maybe if he thinks he's a poor skater. I don't know if that is the case or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad