C Samuel Honzek - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2023, 16th, CGY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Agree. I had Honzek 11th and Danielson 9th. I’m a huge fan of both. The “scouting reports” online for these two are pretty bad. They largely don’t align with the reality of watching these players.

Can you elaborate? I know you watched a lot of WHL and adored Benson. Also what do you think of Yager Vs. Danielson/Honzek?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Can you elaborate? I know you watched a lot of WHL and adored Benson. Also what do you think of Yager Vs. Danielson/Honzek?
I had Yager a bit lower. In a tier with Moore, Wood, and Ritchie. I had Honzek and Danielson a bit higher in a tier with Barlow and Reinbacher.

EDIT: by lower I mean later. By higher I mean earlier.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I can’t believe flames fans were grumpy about this. That’s nuts. I was hoping for the Yotes to pick him 12th.

Well as you stated previously - the scouting reports online don't exactly give a fair interpretation of his skillset or upside. Playing just 40 games this season and getting injured at the biggest stage certainly limited the viewings the typical couch scout could get.

I think people look at his height and late birthdate and think he was a kid who relied on his physical attributes to produce points when that really is not the case whatsoever. He's an absolute beanpole with an incredible amount of room to grow into his frame. Additionally he arguably had the most obstacles to overcome out of any of these top end guys this year with his transition to the NA culture and playstyles, his injury, and his lack of supporting cast.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Agree. I had Honzek 11th and Danielson 9th. I’m a huge fan of both. The “scouting reports” online for these two are pretty bad. They largely don’t align with the reality of watching these players.

Yeah. When I read the reports on Honzek after watching some clips, I was confused at how badly they contradicted. the discrepancies were brutally bad and plentiful. I didn't think in this day and age we could have so much error between what was available and the summary on the player. The more I started sifting through the information, the more I liked the pick and I feel like we got a huge, huge piece in Honzek that just needs more cleaning and assembly before being ready to play with. I argued a lot with some other Flames fans about this. After showing them more clips on Honzek, they too got excited about the pick and were quite annoyed at the amounts of errors on the scouting report.

Interesting to hear you say that Danielson was the same.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I think blues would have strongly considered him at 10 if Dvo was gone.

Agree. We know the Blues were really interested in him. I'm fairly certain that if Arizona picked Leonard or Dvorsky at 6, as a lot of people expected, the Blues would've picked Honzek at 10. Actually, I think there was a decent chance that the Red Wings would pick him at 9 as they were very interested in him aswell, but they seemed to prefer Danielson (personally I have Honzek over Danielson).

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Seems like the new head coach wants to try him at both C and W, and is considering not playing him with Lipinski. Instead wants to spread out the top players, which Vancouver has very few of. A first line with Titlbach and Bruce would be terrible o_O

I did not imagine this would be shaping up to be worse than Mesar’s DY+1 season in junior hockey. At least Mesar had significant talent around him, and the lack of production was much more based on his own play. Best for him would be to get traded to a stronger team like Ruzicka in the past or the AHL which isn’t happening.

Reactions: Figgy44

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Amsterdam
Seems like the new head coach wants to try him at both C and W, and is considering not playing him with Lipinski. Instead wants to spread out the top players, which Vancouver has very few of. A first line with Titlbach and Bruce would be terrible o_O

I did not imagine this would be shaping up to be worse than Mesar’s DY+1 season in junior hockey. At least Mesar had significant talent around him, and the lack of production was much more based on his own play. Best for him would be to get traded to a stronger team like Ruzicka in the past or the AHL which isn’t happening.
This is an interesting take given the current positivity around the reporting. These details are appreciated and as much as I am optimistic, this stuff does help be realistic.

Reactions: Figgy44

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Really warmed up on this pick recently. I am happy that they're going to try him at centre. At the very least it'll give him a deeper understanding of the game. That's not a bad thing going forward at all.

Good luck Honzo!

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Hmm... I'm not too worried depending on the actual development and growth he gets. If they let him focus on developing at C vs attempting to cut corners and forcing attempts at winning, then I think I'll be OK.

Same as Lipinski. The plan sounds good for him IMO. C to W is more detrimental to his development than Honzek's W to C.

The quality of line might be worrisome, but I'm hoping that the trade off in being a power house team ends up benefitting their development instead. I also wonder if Calgary will pull some strings and try to get their other BC prospects to develop with Honzek and Lipinski.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

I honestly don’t see how playing with a strong 20-year-old and one of the most promising imports is a bad thing. Especially at the start of the year when you can still experiment and see what works.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I honestly don’t see how playing with a strong 20-year-old and one of the most promising imports is a bad thing. Especially at the start of the year when you can still experiment and see what works.
I don’t think Titlbach has been that great, and his size really limits him in the physical league. Lipinski and Leslie have both been bad as well to start the season. The coaching has been terrible.

Anyways Honzek is injured again, lower body I believe after a handful of preseason games for Calgary. Kral was added as the import to the giants roster, and Honzek has remained in Calgary so the injury is likely more serious than the “day to day” status it was given. What a disappointing opening to the season for Honzek and Dvorsky. Ultimately Honzek should remain in Calgary and play with the wranglers once he recovers.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I don’t think Titlbach has been that great, and his size really limits him in the physical league. Lipinski and Leslie have both been bad as well to start the season. The coaching has been terrible.

Anyways Honzek is injured again, lower body I believe after a handful of preseason games for Calgary. Kral was added as the import to the giants roster, and Honzek has remained in Calgary so the injury is likely more serious than the “day to day” status it was given. What a disappointing opening to the season for Honzek and Dvorsky. Ultimately Honzek should remain in Calgary and play with the wranglers once he recovers.
He won’t be eligible to play in the AHL since he was drafted out of the WHL, no? Or is it one of those weird “he was just loaned to the Giants from his European club” situations?

And agreed on Titlbach.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He won’t be eligible to play in the AHL since he was drafted out of the WHL, no? Or is it one of those weird “he was just loaned to the Giants from his European club” situations?

And agreed on Titlbach.
Looks like it’s 6-8 weeks for the Honzek, really big shame. That is now too longer injuries within a 10ish month time frame, not great for development and overall longevity but also even maybe his confidence.

Still it sounds like he should be ready to go for the WJC, which could help him ease back into the second half of the WHL season. One question that was asked on Twitter to the Vancouver reporter was if Honzek has played his last game for Vancouver. If they are in the same position would they stick with Kral and deal Honzek for picks.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
As someone that only follows Slovak Prospects and the Habs this season couldn't start better.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Honzek has been named captain of Vancouver giants. He will return to the lineup next game, albeit on a team that has actually gotten worse since last season somehow. One of the reporters covering the giants was questioning whether Honzek would be traded but it seems like I was right, he will ride out the season stuck captaining one of the 3 worst teams in the WHL

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Honzek has been named captain of Vancouver giants. He will return to the lineup next game, albeit on a team that has actually gotten worse since last season somehow. One of the reporters covering the giants was questioning whether Honzek would be traded but it seems like I was right, he will ride out the season stuck captaining one of the 3 worst teams in the WHL

Giants management should be turfed. They brought in another celebrity owner to do...what exactly?

They haven't really done a good job of drafting and they've had one decent season in the last ten.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Giants management should be turfed. They brought in another celebrity owner to do...what exactly?

They haven't really done a good job of drafting and they've had one decent season in the last ten.
It’s really strange. You’d think they would have brought in some better overagers. There is some legit talent on this team outside of the drafted guys. Yet it seems like they for the life of them cannot keep the puck out of the net, and haven’t really exploded offensively (albeit no Honzek).

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It’s really strange. You’d think they would have brought in some better overagers. There is some legit talent on this team outside of the drafted guys. Yet it seems like they for the life of them cannot keep the puck out of the net, and haven’t really exploded offensively (albeit no Honzek).

A couple of overagers wouldn't change much. They've depended too much on their imports for offense and the rest of their top picks are just meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad