C Raphael Lavoie (2019, 38th, EDM; claimed by VGK; claimed by EDM)

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I was at the game last night sitting just up from where he shot for that second goal. I couldn’t see it. It was a lazer. Goalie didn’t see it. He didn’t even move. I was waiting to hear it hit the boards. I couldn’t even see it on replay. Came home watched rerun of the game on tv. I still didn’t see the puck until it was in the back of the net.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
It's so funny here. He plays a good game nationally televised and hardly anybody shows up to comment because there's nothing negative to say.

Reactions: EnglishJet

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I never get these posts. You just listed the one thing they have in common, which I've bolded, and you ask what's different. How even to begin to respond?

They're from the same league... Which is an obvious tick in the checkbox to start to compare the players...

What I'm looking for between the two is difference in individual talents.

It seems Butch26 had no problem responding.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
They're from the same league... Which is an obvious tick in the checkbox to start to compare the players...

What I'm looking for between the two is difference in individual talents.

It seems Butch26 had no problem responding.
Ok. What makes him different from Sidney Crosby? What makes him different from Nathan Mackinnon? What makes him different from Angelo Esposito? It's not clear why you asked about these two specifically, and so it's hard to infer your motivation, and without your motivation it's hard to give a pertinent answer other than, simply, "they're different players who just happened to play in the same league." Of course, because the question is so open ended and seemingly arbitrary, it's not hard to give any answer. "One is strictly a winger" could be one answer. "One weighs 25 pounds more" could be another answer, but without a motivation for your comparison, any comparison given would be akin to comparing any other two players, whilst missing your potential concerns.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Ok. What makes him different from Sidney Crosby? What makes him different from Nathan Mackinnon? What makes him different from Angelo Esposito? It's not clear why you asked about these two specifically, and so it's hard to infer your motivation, and without your motivation it's hard to give a pertinent answer other than, simply, "they're different players who just happened to play in the same league." Of course, because the question is so open ended and seemingly arbitrary, it's not hard to give any answer. "One is strictly a winger" could be one answer. "One weighs 25 pounds more" could be another answer, but without a motivation for your comparison, any comparison given would be akin to comparing any other two players, whilst missing your potential concerns.

Well, if you read through any prospect forum on here, the assumption is that when one asks a question to the affiliation of mine, they're looking for comparison in talent level and nature. If it so happens that they presumably left vague details or lack thereof, well, there's been far less coherent posts than mine.

Just don't let it vexate you, honestly.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Awesome contribution to this post. :help:

Back on topic.. Lavoie is a wild card in my book. If he gets all his skills together he will be a very dangerous player. In my watchings, he is not always involved in the play but when he does, he is exciting to watch.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Now I ask honestly, what differs Lavoie from a prospect like Julien Gauthier formerly from the Q?
I watch Lavoie every game and seen a lot of Gauthier. I thought hey this is a good question. I went back to Elite Prospects just for a refresher on Gauthier and his profile is the same as what Lavoie should be. Even down to my Rick Nash comparison. But to answer your question I think Lavoie has much better vision and makes much better use of his linemates. I can't remember Gauthier having as much playmaking ability and he surely doesn't have the hands or shot or change of direction. You really can't say much more. Lavoie uses more of the ice and is as good going East/West as North/South. He carries the puck much easier and sometimes exhausted at the end of shifts will still stick handle through traffic end to end. Gauthier was more of a straight line player. Just have to hope that Lavoie gets drafted by a team that develops players better than Carolina. That could end up being the biggest difference when all is said and done.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
see comparaison with mantha
From what I've seen, Mantha is a better comparison than Gauthier. I think Lavoie is a Project. He's a late birthday but I would argue that he would have been drafted higher last year than he will be this year because of his down year. The thing is scouts will have to figure out if it's a down year (compared to what we thought he would do) or a development trend.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He would have been a 1st rounder last year. He'll go much higher this year because he's a much better hockey player.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
From what I've seen, Mantha is a better comparison than Gauthier. I think Lavoie is a Project. He's a late birthday but I would argue that he would have been drafted higher last year than he will be this year because of his down year. The thing is scouts will have to figure out if it's a down year (compared to what we thought he would do) or a development trend.

I watch him all the time and I'm struggling to figure out how 65 points in 55 games (increasing exponentially on his stats from last year) and how he's looked especially the last month or so can possibly be considered a down year even next to expectations.

Edit: Looking at some of the advanced stats for the Q and Lavoie is 2nd among draft-eligible players in xG and GF% and top 15 in both stats in the league for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Raphael Lavoie is absolutely on fire in the Q with 7G 6A | 13P in Round 1 of the playoffs. I think if he does want to be a great NHL player he’s gonna have to strategize a bit differently. He definitely has the speed and the shot but sometimes I feel he uses his size to an advantage too much which is easier to do in a league like the Q but in the NHL it may differ how he plays. Hes also a fairly good physical player as well but plays smart and doesn’t get a whole lot of penalities, he’s also really good at getting in the head of players. What is future has in store is hard to predict but I think he’ll be good. Also if Lavoie and the Mooseheads are strong in the M-Cup I think his draft stock could better. Only one way to find out! Wait.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Raphael Lavoie is absolutely on fire in the Q with 7G 6A | 13P in Round 1 of the playoffs. I think if he does want to be a great NHL player he’s gonna have to strategize a bit differently. He definitely has the speed and the shot but sometimes I feel he uses his size to an advantage too much which is easier to do in a league like the Q but in the NHL it may differ how he plays. Hes also a fairly good physical player as well but plays smart and doesn’t get a whole lot of penalities, he’s also really good at getting in the head of players. What is future has in store is hard to predict but I think he’ll be good. Also if Lavoie and the Mooseheads are strong in the M-Cup I think his draft stock could better. Only one way to find out! Wait.
He reminds me of Josh Anderson. He's going to be a good one.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad