C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JA

Two goals, one assist in last night's game.

He now has 10 goals, 3 assists, 13 points in 8 games.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I have no idea why there isn't more talk about this kid, big strong centre who has a nose for the net and has a pretty good shot, I've only seen a little of him ( mostly highlights ) but how is his skating? Is it his weakness?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
There aren't a lot of vocal WHL posters around these parts anymore and he also plays in the Tri-Cities, so he's flying under the radar a bit in terms of discussion. I'm sure if he was in London or Windsor this would be a 10 page thread.

I wouldn't call his skating a weakness at all. It is actually quite good for someone his size, he can get going when he has to. I'd say his most glaring weakness is a general lack of creativity, but he does a LOT of damage in close to the net and he's a big kid, so not sure if that will really hold him back at the pro level. Would like to see him get a bit more engaged physically, but I've also only seen him live a few times, and it's possible that I just caught him on soft nights. Seeing him ranked in the late 20s right now is a bit bewildering considering the start he is having and his size. Don't see him falling out of the first half of the 1st.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have no idea why there isn't more talk about this kid, big strong centre who has a nose for the net and has a pretty good shot, I've only seen a little of him ( mostly highlights ) but how is his skating? Is it his weakness?

He actually not a bad skater. Not blazing fast on them but strong. Kid has a nose for the net though and no one can really seem to stop him from getting there. For a big kid he is damn sneaky. Saw him a few weeks ago and I don't know how someone so big can find open areas so easily. He has pretty good hands in tight and is good at tipping pucks in front of the net and being a solid general net front presence. Like Foxygen said he doesn't have a huge amount of creativity so I don't think he has much of an opportunity to be a top 6 center at the NHL level unless he takes some big steps forward in his defensive game. If I had to guess he could be a very very good offensive 3C who can be a net front presence on the PP at the NHL level. If he develops more creativity with the puck and or more of a defensive game then it is very possible he can be more than that.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
There aren't a lot of vocal WHL posters around these parts anymore and he also plays in the Tri-Cities, so he's flying under the radar a bit in terms of discussion. I'm sure if he was in London or Windsor this would be a 10 page thread.

I wouldn't call his skating a weakness at all. It is actually quite good for someone his size, he can get going when he has to. I'd say his most glaring weakness is a general lack of creativity, but he does a LOT of damage in close to the net and he's a big kid, so not sure if that will really hold him back at the pro level. Would like to see him get a bit more engaged physically, but I've also only seen him live a few times, and it's possible that I just caught him on soft nights. Seeing him ranked in the late 20s right now is a bit bewildering considering the start he is having and his size. Don't see him falling out of the first half of the 1st.

I'm a fan of Everett which is in the same division as Tri-City so fortunately I've seen a lot of Rasmussen. I agree that he has a bit of a lack of creativity, but I usually see him just making the simple plays, which is working for him (at this level.) Personally I'd take him Top 10 but realistically he should go in the first half of the 1st as you said.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
17 goals in 21 games played. That leads the whl in goals. There has to by hype now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

17 goals in 21 games played. That leads the whl in goals. There has to by hype now.

The biggest question surrounding him is his defensive play at this point. He's got a great shot but a lot of his goals come from cleaning up the trash so to speak as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He actually not a bad skater. Not blazing fast on them but strong. Kid has a nose for the net though and no one can really seem to stop him from getting there. For a big kid he is damn sneaky. Saw him a few weeks ago and I don't know how someone so big can find open areas so easily. He has pretty good hands in tight and is good at tipping pucks in front of the net and being a solid general net front presence. Like Foxygen said he doesn't have a huge amount of creativity so I don't think he has much of an opportunity to be a top 6 center at the NHL level unless he takes some big steps forward in his defensive game. If I had to guess he could be a very very good offensive 3C who can be a net front presence on the PP at the NHL level. If he develops more creativity with the puck and or more of a defensive game then it is very possible he can be more than that.

When you say that he lacks "creativity", what exactly do you mean by that? Like he doesn't look dynamic offensively to you? Doesn't see the ice well? Not very flashy?

Just curious as to why you feel that way.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The biggest question surrounding him is his defensive play at this point. He's got a great shot but a lot of his goals come from cleaning up the trash so to speak as well.

He's in the right place at the right time so he must be doing something right.

He's still young and has time to solidify his game, just needs the right coach perhaps. He has the tools.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Uh what? no it's not. He's very good defensively and one of the better ones in the draft. He's a PWF but is also a TWF.

As for the draft basically no one has any hype as basically everyone is looking towards the 2018 draft but Rasmussen should be considered a top 10 guy right now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Uh what? no it's not. He's very good defensively and one of the better ones in the draft. He's a PWF but is also a TWF.

As for the draft basically no one has any hype as basically everyone is looking towards the 2018 draft but Rasmussen should be considered a top 10 guy right now.

He was pretty bad the 3 games I've seen him play. Mind you its a small sample size. But I never saw anything to suggest he's a sound defensive player especially for his size.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

He's in the right place at the right time so he must be doing something right.

He's still young and has time to solidify his game, just needs the right coach perhaps. He has the tools.

When I saw him I wasn't impressed by his defensive play. He could round out.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

He's got huge upside imo. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he falls just into the top 10.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

When you say that he lacks "creativity", what exactly do you mean by that? Like he doesn't look dynamic offensively to you? Doesn't see the ice well? Not very flashy?

Just curious as to why you feel that way.

I mean it in the same way a guy like Ladd lacks creativity. When he was in his prime he could make good safe plays and was a net front presence. That's what I think Rasmussen will be, just a bigger and stronger version. He scores a tonne in front of the net. Just don't see him projecting as a top 6 center in the NHL. His defensive game was far below a few of the other centers in the draft. I think he'll ultimately be a winger in the NHL.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Some context for you all
After 88 games in the league Rasmussen has 18 even strength goals
Mattheos had 19 in 88
Patrick had 27 in 88
Not many players get 20 even strength goals in their first 100 WHL games when starting as a 15/16 year old.
One concern about Rasmussen might be that even with all these goals he is near the bottom of his team in plus/minus. I know that's not the greatest stat, but within a team over the season it can give some indications how players compare to the rest of the team on strength of play at both ends of the ice

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Let's see how his +/- plays out over the season, he's scoring a lot of PP goals right now and there are only 3 + skaters on TC. Can't read into his +/- that much as of today

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Luv luv luv, his game will translate well into the NHL.

Edit: After several more viewings i've actually soured on him quite a bit, noticed a lot of holes in his game.

Last edited:

JA

Luv luv luv, his game will translate well into the NHL.
Apparently, McKeen's thinks he is capable of being selected first overall in June.

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/2017-nhl-draft-nolan-patrick-michael-rasmussen-top-bumper-whl-crop/
2017 NHL Draft: Nolan Patrick, Michael Rasmussen top bumper WHL crop
By Grant McCagg On November 26, 2016 ·

Two centers have captured scouts' attention above all others - Brandon's Nolan Patrick and Tri City's Michael Rasmussen are both legitimate contenders to be selected first overall next June.

Rasmussen was another youngster that caught scouts' attention last season with his smarts and skills, but he has taken his game to a whole new level, leading all WHL players with 20 goals one-third of the way into the season. The 6-6 center possesses a strong skating stride, smooth hands and a pro release and shot that will allow him to score plenty of goals at the next level. There are now whispers that he may end up being the first player chosen in the draft. A 6-6 center with his goal-scoring abilities are a rare breed indeed. On top of that, he plays a solid two-way game and has superior vision and passing skills as well. Comparisons to Keith Primeau are far from overblown.

Last edited by a moderator:

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad