C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We talk about our players on our board.

Its why no one outside of our board knows who Samuelsson is and their eyes pop out when he gets a long term extension.

We know about him. Been talking about him for years.

Feel free to stop in and read about our young players in an honest discussion and not on a forum that exists so that fans can flex whenever they do anything.

Reactions: Fjordy

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Why you gotta hate on the main boards? I enjoy gaining some general insight on a wide variety of players and team's prospects. Although it's true you can get a more in depth look and conversation on a team's individual board, sometimes I find those threads to be quite overly optimistic (or pessimistic if they are underperforming) considering everyone there is generally rooting for the success of that prospect. With that said I don't think there is really too much to be said on Savoie thus far this season which explains the relatively quiet thread. He has been playing quite well, but it's expected in Junior at this point and he hasn't been that eye-opening in my estimation. Fully expect him to be a fantastic player for Buffalo

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Aside from the decent stat line, how has he looked this year? Discussion on him has been kind of quiet considering his draft pedigree
He started off the year pretty tentative and not wanting to get inside, mostly staying on the perimeter and passing the puck off instead of holding onto it himself. His coach has been trying to get him to be more selfish with the puck and the last few weeks he’s really turned a corner in terms of being less of a perimeter player and instead trying to make the plays himself. Wouldn’t say he’s dominating but I would say a solid B on the year for his expectations. Kinda doing what’s expected. He’s been phenomenal on the kill with Zach Benson, probably the best PK duo in the CHL. Somehow they have scored more shorthanded goals than they’ve allowed lol

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Anytime I watch the Ice I’m always shocked Savoie isn’t higher in league scoring (or team scoring for that matter). He is such a talented player. To the people that watch Winnipeg more than me, why do you think he’s not getting as many points as many expected? I love his game, I’m just surprised.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Feels due for a bump. He is on pace like last year, but a lot of fans stat watch and expected much more out of him this year.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Feels due for a bump. He is on pace like last year, but a lot of fans stat watch and expected much more out of him this year.
It seems the reasons from what saw for his stagnation in production comes from three things: 1.) Recovering from shoulder surgery, he played more tentative when he came back looks to be playing his tenacious rover game now.
2.) It seems most of the time he has been playing deeper in his own zone especially on the breakout
3.) Puck luck, seems to be creating more this year but the chances are ending up in the net at lower rate than last year.
Also as an aside the ICE seem to be a much deeper team than last year meaning he is getting less prime opportunities especially in the beginning of the year.
He kind of lost an off-season of off-ice development looks like he did improve and mature on the ice though compared to last year.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I really like his game recently. His confidence is extremely high. Almost scored an insane goal after he dangled Mateychuk. Puck just slid through five hole and wide. He and Benson have unsurprisingly developed something. Teams have yet to find out how to stop them (even shorthanded. somehow they get more chances than they give up). Both putting up multi point games routinely but looking like they could have a lot more. Fun to watch. Still wonder how much Benson is driving the bus but Savoie has definitely been better, more forceful and looking to make a difference. Confidence is a beautiful thing to watch. Scored a beautiful shootout goal Saturday too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Another ICE player who is having disappointing season, points wisely.
1.40 ppg to 1.30 ppg.

12 points in first 10 games
14 points in next 10 ( in one game sored 6 points, 8 points in 9 games )
15 points in the next ( 4 points in one game, 11 in 9 games )

Last 12 games; 15 points.

His 56 points puts him 24th in WHL scoring.

Reactions: Blame the referee

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
1.40 ppg to 1.30 ppg.

12 points in first 10 games
14 points in next 10 ( in one game sored 6 points, 8 points in 9 games )
15 points in the next ( 4 points in one game, 11 in 9 games )

Last 12 games; 15 points.

His 56 points puts him 24th in WHL scoring.
Perhaps you’re right. But Savois’ team is 37-7-1 and ranked #2 in the CHL. I don’t think there is anything to get worked up about here?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
1.40 ppg to 1.30 ppg.

He had 1.38 PPG last year and has 1.33 PPG this year. The gap is literally half the size that you posted. If all you're going to do is stat watch, at least try to do that right.

So it's not really a very big gap, especially when you consider:
- He's only shooting at 12% after shooting 17% last year.
- He's way less reliant on PP scoring this year. Take out PP points and he's at 1.02 PPG vs 0.86 PPG last year.

With his shot and the quality of his chances his shooting percentage should be in the 15-20% against WHL goalies, so I expect to see him positively regress. He's also killing penalties and has 3g 2a while shorthanded vs 0 SHP last year.

He looked a bit off to start the year, but in the last few months he's looked really good in my viewings.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He had 1.38 PPG last year and has 1.33 PPG this year. The gap is literally half the size that you posted. If all you're going to do is stat watch, at least try to do that right.

So it's not really a very big gap, especially when you consider:
- He's only shooting at 12% after shooting 17% last year.
- He's way less reliant on PP scoring this year. Take out PP points and he's at 1.02 PPG vs 0.86 PPG last year.

With his shot and the quality of his chances his shooting percentage should be in the 15-20% against WHL goalies, so I expect to see him positively regress. He's also killing penalties and has 3g 2a while shorthanded vs 0 SHP last year.

He looked a bit off to start the year, but in the last few months he's looked really good in my viewings.

Recovering from the shoulder injury that kept him out of combine testing and then also kept him from on-ice participation in the U20 summer camp may also have factored into his slow start.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Recovering from the shoulder injury that kept him out of combine testing and then also kept him from on-ice participation in the U20 summer camp may also have factored into his slow start.

Fair enough but with his skillset his production has been a bit disappointing this season no doubt.

Still a prospect I look forward to seeing in buffalo in the next few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fair enough but with his skillset his production has been a bit disappointing this season no doubt.

Still a prospect I look forward to seeing in buffalo in the next few years.

Perhaps. Consider that the Ice are deep enough to have what amounts to three strong scoring lines since the acquisition of Ostapchuk and they can run a team out of the rink like last night's 8-2 win over Calgary with the top trio (Savoie centering Benson and McClennon) go 1-1-2 for the game.

I was more worried early in the season when it looked like he wasn't getting inside as much but since the start of December, there's been growth in his game not just from the injury recovery but from last year as well.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Recovering from a bummed shoulder takes a bit of time. I broke my collarbone and it took well over a year to regain my full mobility I had before and it still didn't heal proper. My shoulder is crooked and locks up sometimes now.

Savoie will be fine. He will probably go back to the WHL next year and continue his pace from this 2nd half of this year.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another quiet goal and assist/ two point game as the Ice throttle the Oil Kings 7-1. He's on a solid run, 33 points in his last 23 games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another 1g, 1a game and 27 faceoffs as he was getting primary PK duty with the Broncos getting 6 powerplays. He managed to be named first star last night, 35 points in his last 25 games so if George is concerned about Pts/game, that's 1.4 over that span.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad