C Matthew Poitras - Boston Bruins, NHL (2022, 54th, BOS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don’t think overhyping is the problem as much as holding on to too long before admitting they just aren’t it.

Every fan base hypes their own prospects, it’s nothing new.
But with Boston prospects for many it takes about 10 years before you are allowed to make a judgement

I mean Studnicka played one game in his age 23 season, and everyone had moved on by then, before he was dumped to Vancouver. Is 22 too old to still hope there is something there?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean Studnicka played one game in his age 23 season, and everyone had moved on by then, before he was dumped to Vancouver. Is 22 too old to still hope there is something there?

Was I talking about a singular player or overall?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Was I talking about a singular player or overall?

It’s really just he and Senyshyn who got the “maybe this is the year!” treatment, no? Maybe Zboril to a degree but with him it’s just people arguing there is an NHL player there, not that he is gonna be good.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Maybe but it’s not like the bruins have had many high picks or good prospects of late…
Yes... but things have changed for this season

Bruins had to waive many vets due to impressive pre season by Poitras, Beecher, Lohrei, Bussi etc.

Regardless of the farm system history ... the Bruins(team as a whole) currently constructed are on the younger side.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Why was there zero hype around Poitras before this season? Don't think I've seen him name in any top prospects lists. The best i've seen said about him is that he "projects as a reliable NHL forward with secondary scoring ability."

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Why was there zero hype around Poitras before this season? Don't think I've seen him name in any top prospects lists. The best i've seen said about him is that he "projects as a reliable NHL forward with secondary scoring ability."
because he's an average prospect who had a good preseason and 1st game which caused him to blow up. people put way too much stock into preseason and a small nhl sample size. maybe he turns out really good but he doesn't project as a great top 6 guy

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There was. He netted 79 assists last season in the OHL (2nd in the league)... on a stripped down team.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
There was. He netted 79 assists last season in the OHL (2nd in the league)... on a stripped down team.
I missed it. Where was it? Those 79 assists were in his D+1 season so not as impressive. The only Bruins prospects that I saw getting attention were Lysell and to a lesser extent Lohrei.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
because he's an average prospect who had a good preseason and 1st game which caused him to blow up. people put way too much stock into preseason and a small nhl sample size. maybe he turns out really good but he doesn't project as a great top 6 guy
There you go again...

How the f:#^ does an average 19 y/o prospect ... make a nhl squad?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I missed it. Where was it? Those 79 assists were in his D+1 season so not as impressive. The only Bruins prospects that I saw getting attention were Lysell and to a lesser extent Lohrei.
Why does hype matter?

It doesn't...

Poitras has a high hockey iq, patience and passing skills. He is only 5'11 and not a fast skater. But makes impact on the ice. He led the Bruins in preseason points.. 5 pts in 5 games. He had a gtg and gwg.

Reactions: The don godfather

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Why does hype matter?

It doesn't...

Poitras has a high hockey iq, patience and passing skills. He is only 5'11 and not a fast skater. But makes impact on the ice. He led the Bruins in preseason points.. 5 pts in 5 games. He had a gtg and gwg.
Just curious why he didn't get as much attention as many other prospects. Of course hype doesn't matter if a prospect ends up exceeding expectations.

Reactions: rocketdan9

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just curious why he didn't get as much attention as many other prospects. Of course hype doesn't matter if a prospect ends up exceeding expectations.

I think the honest answer is that people loved his IQ and work ethic but the physical skills are not very impressive and those guys USUALLY max out as top AHLers. But sometimes there are exceptions. Guys like Oates or Krejci or Bergeron or Savard were never going to win a skating or powerlifting competition, and were not high on prospect lists, but they overcame it very very well. Before this stretch I would have been stoked if he turned into a Chris Kelly type. But you just never know. And we still don’t know, obviously.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think the honest answer is that people loved his IQ and work ethic but the physical skills are not very impressive and those guys USUALLY max out as top AHLers. But sometimes there are exceptions. Guys like Oates or Krejci or Bergeron or Savard were never going to win a skating or powerlifting competition, and were not high on prospect lists, but they overcame it very very well. Before this stretch I would have been stoked if he turned into a Chris Kelly type. But you just never know. And we still don’t know, obviously.
+1

In todays NHL its not common for a 5'11 prospect without fast skating or good size to make a mark in the league

Who Poitras is at the moment... reminds me or Joel Pavelski at like 35 years of age. Leveraging mainly on smarts, instincts. Good details on the F/O dot and along the boards. Sound positioning.

For Poitras to makeup for lack of great size or skating speed. He has to be close to on point with the things above.

There is still like 8 or 9 games tryout to go. So we will see if he can keep it up. So far so good/consistent.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

The bias continues.

Poitras has been one of the few legitimate prospects for the Bruins in some time.

I live in Boston and work with a bunch of bruins fans all of whom hyped up guys like Studnicka, that finnish D whose name I can't remember, Donato, etc. and now this kid. Poitras looked good in the bit I saw of him during Canes INT but even the broadcast was overly focused on him for some reason. He's a random rookie 4th liner and they were talking about him like he was Bedard

Embarrassing as always.

that's fair and may be the case on some of those guys. I swear though the amount of times I heard about Studnicka becoming their next tyler seguin or some nonsense was just nauseating

You never heard that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really smart player. Pretty rare rookies are making many more good plays than they are bad ones. Once he gets some weight on and improves his core strength he'll be a force in this league.

Can't help but think he's kind of riding the high of making the NHL as a junior aged player and there's going to be a dip later on but yknow maybe not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad