C Matthew Poitras - Boston Bruins, NHL (2022, 54th, BOS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
He will be considered better than Slafkovsky and Wright before the end of the year. Not a superstar but a bright spot in a garbage draft year.

• Haha
Reactions: SlafySZN

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I feel like Boston did this exact same thing a couple years back with Jack Studnica. Hyped him up for a good camp and preseason but in large part become the rest of their pool is awful and they need centre depth

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The last Bruin prospect that had any major hype was Mcavoy and it turned out he wasn’t getting as much hype as he deserved.
I live in Boston and work with a bunch of bruins fans all of whom hyped up guys like Studnicka, that finnish D whose name I can't remember, Donato, etc. and now this kid. Poitras looked good in the bit I saw of him during Canes INT but even the broadcast was overly focused on him for some reason. He's a random rookie 4th liner and they were talking about him like he was Bedard

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I live in Boston and work with a bunch of bruins fans all of whom hyped up guys like Studnicka, that finnish D whose name I can't remember, Donato, etc. and now this kid. Poitras looked good in the bit I saw of him during Canes INT but even the broadcast was overly focused on him for some reason. He's a random rookie 4th liner and they were talking about him like he was Bedard

I’m wondering how one can be “massively overhyped” and random at the same time?

You’re just a hater and a couple of your coworkers at McDonalds don’t represent an entire fan base. Studnicka was a good prospect who didn’t pan out. He was maybe thrown in the tail end of some some top 50 prospects lists but nobody was proclaiming him as a sure fire to 6 or anything. A good junior career, representing team Canada, and a very strong rookie year in the AHL will do that to a player. Donato had very little hype. Vaakanainen had very little hype, so little you don’t even remember his name.

Also, Poitras was on the 3rd line tonight. He’ll be top 6 soon.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I don’t think overhyping is the problem as much as holding on to too long before admitting they just aren’t it.

Every fan base hypes their own prospects, it’s nothing new.
But with Boston prospects for many it takes about 10 years before you are allowed to make a judgement

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don’t think overhyping is the problem as much as holding on to too long before admitting they just aren’t it.

Every fan base hypes their own prospects, it’s nothing new.
But with Boston prospects for many it takes about 10 years before you are allowed to make a judgement
that's fair and may be the case on some of those guys. I swear though the amount of times I heard about Studnicka becoming their next tyler seguin or some nonsense was just nauseating

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I was impressed by what I saw. If he and Zacha turn into effective NHL centers this year that would be huge for the Bruins and their playoff chances.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

You don’t think perhaps you have a bit of a bias being surrounded by Bruins fans while you are not one yourself?

Obviously prospects being talked up from an opposing, maybe even rival, fanbase annoys you. Most Bruins fans I know are more than realistic that their drafting hasn’t been stellar overall, but yeah…obviously they’re going to get hyped about a solid prospect who’s already performed at the NHL level. Especially with the absence of established center depth due to Bergeron and Krejci reitement. What could you realistically expect?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
that's fair and may be the case on some of those guys. I swear though the amount of times I heard about Studnicka becoming their next tyler seguin or some nonsense was just nauseating
I think there's a pretty significant difference between the two. Studnicka got a full AHL season two years after being drafted and then proceeded to put dozens of disappointing NHL performances. Poitras turned 19 in March and in one game has looked significantly more NHL ready than Studnicka ever did.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I would bet on average Bruins prosects threads here are the smallest.

Reactions: TooMuchMan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad