C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think he could fill a big hole for us. If Nielsen walks, we're going to be in need of another center. Management seem to like Strome and Nelson on the wings which opens the door for someone to jump in at center. Grabovski is also gone in a couple years. Even if they do decide to make Strome the number 2 center, Barzal could be a great third line center.

And plus I think Barzal is going to be a few years away from NHL still. I may be the minority here but I think he will spend another year in junior next year. He will be one of those "too good for junior, but not quite ready for NHL yet" type guys next year. He is such an amazing talent but there are still a few things he will need to work on before playing in the NHL.

Isles are gonna be extremely careful with his development because he has potential to be a star in the NHL in 5 years or so

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
And plus I think Barzal is going to be a few years away from NHL still. I may be the minority here but I think he will spend another year in junior next year. He will be one of those "too good for junior, but not quite ready for NHL yet" type guys next year. He is such an amazing talent but there are still a few things he will need to work on before playing in the NHL.

Isles are gonna be extremely careful with his development because he has potential to be a star in the NHL in 5 years or so

I agree with careful development but Barzal would have made the NHL if he was on 20 of the 30 squads in the league, the Islanders just didn't have a roster spot available for him. He's as close to NHL ready as you can get in my opinion as a teenager and I think he'll make the squad next year as the next step in development.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree with careful development but Barzal would have made the NHL if he was on 20 of the 30 squads in the league, the Islanders just didn't have a roster spot available for him. He's as close to NHL ready as you can get in my opinion as a teenager and I think he'll make the squad next year as the next step in development.

I don't think that's true. The Flyers aren't a good team but still would have sent him back to Junior because they had Giroux-Couturier-Laughton-Bellemare down the middle, and because that's best for his development.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't think that's true. The Flyers aren't a good team but still would have sent him back to Junior because they had Giroux-Couturier-Laughton-Bellemare down the middle, and because that's best for his development.

I am one of the biggest Barzal supporters and Barzal is an unreal talent but he wouldn't have made any NHL team this year IMO

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am one of the biggest Barzal supporters and Barzal is an unreal talent but he wouldn't have made any NHL team this year IMO

Same here. I like Center's that can distribute the puck that make their wingers better.

However, with that knowledge. If there is one criticism I have of him he could be more unselfish.

Nothing wrong with having Adam Oates passing and playmaking ability. But he can shoot more, because he can finish.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Same here. I like Center's that can distribute the puck that make their wingers better.

However, with that knowledge. If there is one criticism I have of him he could be more unselfish.

Nothing wrong with having Adam Oates passing and playmaking ability. But he can shoot more, because he can finish.

I was hoping sooooo bad that CBJ would have drafted him this past draft. I know they needed a dman but I was picturing Barzal setting up Bjorkstrand for years to come and was actually getting extremely jealous of CBJ fans if that happened

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was hoping sooooo bad that CBJ would have drafted him this past draft. I know they needed a dman but I was picturing Barzal setting up Bjorkstrand for years to come and was actually getting extremely jealous of CBJ fans if that happened

I envy Isles fans.

They have a really deep Center group headed by Tavares when Barzal makes their team.

He is a throwback to what Centers once were. Distribution puck skills. He's one of the most fun players in junior to watch to me with his patience and vision on the ice. Terrific player that is showing he should have been taken earlier.

Has a game tonight I believe. 3rd game in 4 nights.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal loves making plays. I think Of him like hockey's version of a point guard. He's always looking to set up plays and the offense runs through him. Very excited about this young man. Love his work ethic too

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Only 2 points for Barzal last night. 2 more apples. Seattle is in a slump. But that puts him at 23 points in 12 games. A very good start to the season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
quickly rising in the scoring leaders... 12th in the league now while playing a handful of games less games than everyone. 23 points in 12 games. He will be neck and neck with Point at the top of the league in no time

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

In reality, there is very little chance he will be in the pros next year. The Isles' standard practice is for players to complete full junior eligibility and then spend at least some time in the AHL.

Also, most of the same players who were ahead of Barzal will still be there next season, with the notable possible exception of Nielsen.

Barzal is a fantastic prospect but he'll need to round out his game and bulk up.

Probably three years away from a top six role.

Do not see that as an attack on your, btw. The Isles have a painstaking system in place right now and I wouldn't expect a Calgary based fan to know about that - despite your obvious high level of knowledge about juniors.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's going to be interesting to see who Team Canada's 3 top Centers are? Last year, we went with Mcdavid, Lazar, and Reinhart.

I would have to think Barzal is one of the top 3 Centers this worlds.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
In reality, there is very little chance he will be in the pros next year. The Isles' standard practice is for players to complete full junior eligibility and then spend at least some time in the AHL.

Also, most of the same players who were ahead of Barzal will still be there next season, with the notable possible exception of Nielsen.

Barzal is a fantastic prospect but he'll need to round out his game and bulk up.

Do not see that as an attack on your, btw. The Isles have a painstaking system in place right now and I wouldn't expect a Calgary based fan to know about that - despite your obvious high level of knowledge about juniors.

No attack taken. I just believe the world is changing. Larkin + Red Wings are a prime example. If a player is a difference maker they will buck the trend or the 'system' you've mentioned. I think Barzal is one such player. Look at the impact of player like Ehlers and Domi, Larkin. These are elite prospects sure, but not generational players like McDavid and Eichel. Yet they are making a massive difference as teenagers. This is where I think Barzal is, level wise. He's already bigger than Domi and Ehlers, even though yes, he does need to both round out his game and bulk up (same can be said for the aforementioned prospects.)

Also, I think Barzal, at this moment, is ahead of the curve compared to similar players that the Islanders have drafted, the key comparison I think being Strome. Barzal is already a more rounded player than Strome at the same age and seems far more mature.

I'm not saying it will happen (my crystal ball is a little dusty) but I do think it's more than likely. And thanks for the compliment, even though your reading skills are a little lax ;) (see location)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Domi's 20, but I get your point.

Hextall seems to be employing a similar system, but I think he will make an exception next year for Provorov, and possibly for Konecny as well.

LaF16

Jun 28, 2004
I envy Isles fans.

They have a really deep Center group headed by Tavares when Barzal makes their team.

He is a throwback to what Centers once were. Distribution puck skills. He's one of the most fun players in junior to watch to me with his patience and vision on the ice. Terrific player that is showing he should have been taken earlier.

Has a game tonight I believe. 3rd game in 4 nights.

Hearing someone actually say the "envy" Islanders fans is a long time coming.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I think we'll see Barzal in the NHL next year. One of Nielsen or Okposo will walk and Barzal will take that roster spot.

Super early projection:

Lee-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson-Barzal-Strome
Bailey-Grabo-Kuli
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think we'll see Barzal in the NHL next year. One of Nielsen or Okposo will walk and Barzal will take that roster spot.

Super early projection:

Lee-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson-Barzal-Strome
Bailey-Grabo-Kuli
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Idk. I know he's dominating right now and his offensive game/mind is ready for the NHL but I don't think he needs to be there. Nothing wrong with waiting until he's 20-21.

Dal Colle is obviously a different type of player but he was dominate last year but has had struggles so far this year.

I'd much prefer the struggle to happen in juniors or the minors than the NHL.

We'll see though. Anything is possible I guess. Nielsen may not be back and Okposo too. Even though I can't see the Isles letting both walk.

Barzal would have to come and be an absolute monster. Remember Strome and Nelson can play center. The isles may still have Petrov or sign a veteran winger if both Fran's and Okposo walk.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hearing someone actually say the "envy" Islanders fans is a long time coming.

The Isles have prospects I like. The only one I am was partial to that I didn't like was Hosang. He was not a player I was high on in his draft year. And what happened this training camp was part of that reason. Plus he over handles the puck too much for my liking. Needs to move the puck quicker and use his linemates more.

Pulock, Dal Colle, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pelach, Strome are all guys I liked. If this team moved to Toronto. I would be cheering for them right now.

This year, I am an impartial NHL watcher. I have no team. But this would be an easy team for me to cheer for. I like JT. He is what a person and hockey player should be. Have to cheer for guys like this.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Isles have prospects I like. The only one I am was partial to that I didn't like was Hosang. He was not a player I was high on in his draft year. And what happened this training camp was part of that reason. Plus he over handles the puck too much for my liking. Needs to move the puck quicker and use his linemates more.

Pulock, Dal Colle, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pelach, Strome are all guys I liked. If this team moved to Toronto. I would be cheering for them right now.

This year, I am an impartial NHL watcher. I have no team. But this would be an easy team for me to cheer for. I like JT. He is what a person and hockey player should be. Have to cheer for guys like this.

Thanks for the kind words!!! Your always welcome on our board!!! The prospects threads are fun and we speak about all the guys you have mentioned!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad