C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Is this guy a lock for the WJC team? Assuming Strome and Marner are locks, and Marner can easily be put on the wing.
Canada's centre depth is pretty impressive.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Is this guy a lock for the WJC team? Assuming Strome and Marner are locks, and Marner can easily be put on the wing.
Canada's centre depth is pretty impressive.

Well he is scoring at a slightly better pace than strome and marner. A question of preference who gets the nod to play and who gets to play at centre.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well he is scoring at a slightly better pace than strome and marner. A question of preference who gets the nod to play and who gets to play at centre.
No, he isn't Marner has 26 in 14, Strome has 21 in 11 and Barzal has 23 in 13, it can shift game to game but he's not out producing them right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, he isn't Marner has 26 in 14, Strome has 21 in 11 and Barzal has 23 in 13, it can shift game to game but he's not out producing them right now.

Strome and Marner are surrounded by more talent than Barzal. Regardless the numbers are very similar to this date. Seattle is in a slump. Barzal is leading his team in scoring.

I have nothing against Strome or Marner's production numbers but it is fair to point out both are not leading their teams in scoring. This indicates the talent they are surrounded with. Something Barzal has less to work with.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I know it is silly for anyone that watches junior hockey that would question his offensive talent. But there were some uninformed opinions on him last year where I posted. This kid is an offensive talent. He is an elite distributer with excellent vision and patience. He makes his wingers better, which is what great Center's do. I have no regrets touting him so high. Good point about the injury. Isles stole him at #16.

Pretty much this and the Oilers should have drafted him, instead of going for the quick fix right now with Reinhart who is a stretch anyways.

That being said Barzal is going to need to become more of a threat on actual goal scoring as his pass first mentality will limit the vast potential he has.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna

ok. until yesterday he was outproducing them. sorry i didnt have the latest results, so sorry.

Regardless, i went right on to saying that they are all close so it is a matter of preference. But there is no way you could say either 2 are locks for the top 6 centre positions, they all seem to be on par.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

If Barzal were playing with guys like Tkachuk and Dvorak, you can bet he'd be killing both of those guys.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If Barzal were playing with guys like Tkachuk and Dvorak, you can bet he'd be killing both of those guys.

God would he ever... his point total would be insane

The past few seasons seattle has struggled to find real offensive guys.. barzal has been put with some grinder type players on his line throughout the years... sure he is making those players alot damn better but I'd LOVE to see him on a line with other extremely skilled players like them.. even just for 1 game would be such a treat to see. Would be unreal

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So basically Barzal is like Tavares. No elite talent to work with lol

I dont think it's fair to compare point totals within the different leagues. WHL OHL and the Q are all very different.

For the World juniors I think Barzal is the most likely of the 3 to stay at center. Strome and Marner could easily be counted on as goal scoring wingers imo. Barzal style and game is best suited as a Center.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So basically Barzal is like Tavares. No elite talent to work with lol

I dont think it's fair to compare point totals within the different leagues. WHL OHL and the Q are all very different.

For the World juniors I think Barzal is the most likely of the 3 to stay at center. Strome and Marner could easily be counted on as goal scoring wingers imo. Barzal style and game is best suited as a Center.

Ya barzal will stay Centre forsure.. his vision is ridiculous and he is gonna be completely dominant on the bigger ice

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal back on the scoresheet with 2 points after 1 period tonight as the Thunderbirds try to end their mini slump. Up to 25 points now with 2 periods to play.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Pretty much this and the Oilers should have drafted him, instead of going for the quick fix right now with Reinhart who is a stretch anyways.

That being said Barzal is going to need to become more of a threat on actual goal scoring as his pass first mentality will limit the vast potential he has.

We don't need a Barzal, we need a Reinhart

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We don't need a Barzal, we need a Reinhart

For your AHL team?

Oilers shoulda drafted BPA and taken Barzal... I almost crapped my pants when Oilers were up to pick and Barzal was available... aaaaaand then that trade was made.

I was in awe of the Oilers for a split second when I thought they were going to walk away on day 1 with McDavid and Barzal.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For your AHL team?

Oilers shoulda drafted BPA and taken Barzal... I almost crapped my pants when Oilers were up to pick and Barzal was available... aaaaaand then that trade was made.

I was in awe of the Oilers for a split second when I thought they were going to walk away on day 1 with McDavid and Barzal.

They still have RNH & Draisitle. They won't miss Barzal. Isles needed him more.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They still have RNH & Draisitle. They won't miss Barzal. Isles needed him more.

No I'm just saying if Oilers drafted BPA like how all NHL teams claim they do, they'd have another deadly prospect that could be used as trade bait potentially or have him ready in a few years and use some other player as trade bait

Isles got a steal.. I'd say every nhl team woulda made that trade in a heart beat to Oilers if they had Reinhart

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
No I'm just saying if Oilers drafted BPA like how all NHL teams claim they do, they'd have another deadly prospect that could be used as trade bait potentially or have him ready in a few years and use some other player as trade bait

Isles got a steal.. I'd say every nhl team woulda made that trade in a heart beat to Oilers if they had Reinhart

We've got a nice Barzal thread going here and you're trying to turn it into a flame war between Oilers and Isles fans. Why?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We've got a nice Barzal thread going here and you're trying to turn it into a flame war between Oilers and Isles fans. Why?

haha seriously??I replied to a couple other peoples replies. I have not starting anything here and actually thought I brought up some concerns that many fans have said. Just continuing on with the conversation

Anyways, strange you'd try starting something out of nothing and Im moving on before this starts to derail.....

im really looking forward to seeing him at the Super Series over the next couple days. Cant wait to see him with top talent!!!!

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Have to make a comment on Barzal...saw him live last night in Victoria. Very very impressed. His elite puckhandling was on full display. He scored a goal from a crazy angle, put it just inside the post so even though he is a pass first guy, he will score when he puts his mind to it.

A very chippy player too, battled hard with Hicketts and frustrated him quite a bit. Lots of chirping. He was strong in his own zone and killed penalties.

Seattle is a good team but not with a ton of skill to go with Barzal, he drives the offense.

Seems like a really solid bet to be a number 1 centre in the NHL. this may be the piece that puts New York over the top. Can't say enough positive things...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Have to make a comment on Barzal...saw him live last night in Victoria. Very very impressed. His elite puckhandling was on full display. He scored a goal from a crazy angle, put it just inside the post so even though he is a pass first guy, he will score when he puts his mind to it.

A very chippy player too, battled hard with Hicketts and frustrated him quite a bit. Lots of chirping. He was strong in his own zone and killed penalties.

Seattle is a good team but not with a ton of skill to go with Barzal, he drives the offense.

Seems like a really solid bet to be a number 1 centre in the NHL. this may be the piece that puts New York over the top. Can't say enough positive things...

Good observations. I agree with almost everything you said. Barzal could be a #1C on a team, but I think he would make a great #2C to Tavares one day.

For Isles fans, this would be the best 1-2 punch since Trottier and Sutter. We know what they did together.

I had Barzal as the 4th best Center in the entire draft behind 2 generational talents Eichel and Mcdavid, and another prospect that would have gone #1 in most drafts Dylan Strome. That's how much he impressed me. And he continues to this year. He's by far the best player on Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad