C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
NYI are going to make some roster moves by Wednesday/Thursday when they play back to back games vs Montreal and Pittsburgh. I feel certain that they will call up Adam Pelech from the AHL so that Seidenberg won't play in both games. We'll have to see if there is additional roster flexibility to keep Barzal around, but Barzal could easily be sent home this week. Really sucks that general fanager no longer exists to help me out with that. I'm going to have to keep my own personal roster for reference. :laugh:

As an Islander fan, this doesn't bother me. It is sink or swim time for Ryan Strome, not Matthew Barzal. And the notion that Casey Cizikas is a 4th line center is about to go away for good. If Barzal were a right winger, he'd be with this team. But he's obviously not a winger.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Haha. Capuano always does this. He is terrible at handling kids, it's not just Barzal. He's also probably in a bad mood because he no longer has Brian Strait (a.k.a. his Precious) around.

If there is one thing Capuano is good at, it's ****ing with the minds of the prospects and crushing their confidence.

Why is he still coach? I thought he was gone as soon as Wang was gone.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Why is he still coach? I thought he was gone as soon as Wang was gone.

It's Snow that Capuano has the relationship with. Snow and Capuano are a team. The reason they're around is because they achieved the goal set last year, which was to win a playoff round. This year's goal is the conference finals. If NYI backslide, all bets are off. Ownership will have all the incentives to make a GM/coach splash as part of a pitch to JT.

But don't believe the BS about Capuano and young players on NYI. He's had plenty of success developing young players (Hamonic, de Haan, Cizikas, Nelson, etc.). Some young players have struggled, particularly Ryan Strome. But only coach haters actually think that's the coach's fault. It's Ryan Strome's fault. The coach does have faults, particularly in game coaching/strategy. But teaching young players is not one of them.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
But don't believe the BS about Capuano and young players on NYI. He's had plenty of success developing young players (Hamonic, de Haan, Cizikas, Nelson, etc.). Some young players have struggled, particularly Ryan Strome. But only coach haters actually think that's the coach's fault. It's Ryan Strome's fault. The coach does have faults, particularly in game coaching/strategy. But teaching young players is not one of them.

There isn't a universe in which you can free Capuano of blame for trying to force Strome at RW instead of giving him time at center, his natural position. It's not Strome's fault he didn't adjust to wing, some players just aren't that versatile. Capuano is indeed partially to blame for trying to force a square peg into a round hole whether you want to admit it or not. Garth already admitted it was a mistake, which should be enough evidence for you.

The fact that Capuano is also refusing to make the same mistake with Barzal is very telling as well. It at least shows he's learning from the mistakes he's made with other players.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
There isn't a universe in which you can free Capuano of blame for trying to force Strome at RW instead of giving him time at center, his natural position. It's not Strome's fault he didn't adjust to wing, some players just aren't that versatile. Capuano is indeed partially to blame for trying to force a square peg into a round hole whether you want to admit it or not. Garth already admitted it was a mistake, which should be enough evidence for you.

What an amazing sounding and confidently expressed argument. If only reality, in which Strome impressively scored 50 points on the wing as a rookie, agreed.

I do think Strome will be better as a center than as a wing. But NO coach will accept centers constantly missing their assignments, which Strome was.

BTW, I appreciate the smugness! Nice work.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
What an amazing sounding and confidently expressed argument. If only reality, in which Strome impressively scored 50 points on the wing as a rookie, agreed.

He also struggled the following season, on the wing.

I do think Strome will be better as a center than as a wing. But NO coach will accept centers constantly missing their assignments, which Strome was.

Fair enough, but you have to learn somehow. He can't learn how to play center while on the wing. He's still missing assignments, by the way, but he's progressing.

BTW, I appreciate the smugness! Nice work.

Right back at ya.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Isles re-sign Steve Bernier so it's bye bye Barzal. Capuano now has his veteran gritz back so he systematically bench all of the kids one by one to get Bernier's intangibles and grinding abilities into the lineup.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
The Isles re-sign Steve Bernier so it's bye bye Barzal. Capuano now has his veteran gritz back so he systematically bench all of the kids one by one to get Bernier's intangibles and grinding abilities into the lineup.

It appears that would be the case. Hopefully Barzal takes it in stride and works on his weaknesses this year while expanding on his previous offensive success.

He'll get a shot next year after one of Nelson/Strome get picked up in the expansion draft.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It appears that would be the case. Hopefully Barzal takes it in stride and works on his weaknesses this year while expanding on his previous offensive success.

He'll get a shot next year after one of Nelson/Strome get picked up in the expansion draft.

WHAT? Have they fallen off the cliff? Who is NYI protecting?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

It's a numbers game, you can only protect 7F+3D+1G or 8F/D+1G and the Isles have to protect JT, Ladd, and Boychuk due to NMC. They will definitely protect Leddy and Hamonic and that makes 5 skaters already. If you figure they go the 8+1 route, they would need to protect three out of Stome, Nelson, Lee, de Haan, Pulock, and Cizikas. Chances are, one of those guys is lost and a lot of NYI fans are expecting Cizikas and Pulock to be protected, so that likely means one of Strome/Nelson/de Haan would be lost. I'm still torn on whether Cizikas would be protected over Strome and/or Nelson myself, but we'll see.

Either way, if one of those guys gets picked -- it opens a roster spot for Barzal next year. I could see that happening.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Strome will be protected. IMO it should be:

Tavares, Cizikas, Strome, Boychuk(NMC), Leddy, Hamonic, CdH, Pulock.

That leaves Nelson and Lee as the prime targets. Both are essentially LWs, so at the end of the day we're trying to fill a LW spot next year. Maybe a cheap(ish) UFA will be brought in to compete with MDC and Bellows? Perhaps Quine and Prince as well? Maybe nothing will be necessary if they hang on to Bailey and Kulemin. Something like...

Ladd - Tavares - Ho-Sang
MDC/Bellows/Quine - Strome - Beauvillier
Nelson/Lee - Barzal - Bailey
Kulemin/Prince/Chimera - Cizikas - Clutterbuck(if re-signed)

At least, all of those guys will be options. IMO, guys like Strome, Cizikas, CdH and Pulock will be the hardest to replace as far as guys on "the bubble". Lee is next due to his size, and then Nelson. I can live with replacing either of the two.

*EDIT: as far as I can tell, the Isles should meet the criteria with those players protected. I think you need to expose at least one defenseman with 40-something plus games of experience during the previous season, which Hickey will cover. Seidenberg as well if he's still considered an Islander at the time of the draft(I imagine he will).

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

That leaves Nelson and Lee as the prime targets. Both are essentially LWs, so at the end of the day we're trying to fill a LW spot next year. Maybe a cheap(ish) UFA will be brought in to compete with MDC and Bellows? Perhaps Quine and Prince as well? Maybe nothing will be necessary if they hang on to Bailey and Kulemin. Something like...

Ladd - Tavares - Ho-Sang

At least, all of those guys will be options. IMO, guys like Strome, Cizikas, CdH and Pulock will be the hardest to replace as far as guys on "the bubble". Lee is next due to his size, and then Nelson. I can live with replacing either of the two.

*EDIT: as far as I can tell, the Isles should meet the criteria with those players protected. I think you need to expose at least one defenseman with 40-something plus games of experience during the previous season, which Hickey will cover. Seidenberg as well if he's still considered an Islander at the time of the draft(I imagine he will).
You forgot Ladd. He has to be protected.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Holy **** Steve Bernier is still in the NHL?

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

Ladd - Tavares - Ho-Sang

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's a numbers game, you can only protect 7F+3D+1G or 8F/D+1G and the Isles have to protect JT, Ladd, and Boychuk due to NMC. They will definitely protect Leddy and Hamonic and that makes 5 skaters already. If you figure they go the 8+1 route, they would need to protect three out of Stome, Nelson, Lee, de Haan, Pulock, and Cizikas. Chances are, one of those guys is lost and a lot of NYI fans are expecting Cizikas and Pulock to be protected, so that likely means one of Strome/Nelson/de Haan would be lost. I'm still torn on whether Cizikas would be protected over Strome and/or Nelson myself, but we'll see.

Either way, if one of those guys gets picked -- it opens a roster spot for Barzal next year. I could see that happening.

No way is Nelson going to be unprotected if he posts another season near 30 goals...unless the Isles feels confident on June 20th that they can lose another 20-30 goal scorer off the roster and still be successful. If the Isles end up having a spectacular year this season I believe Nelson may be left out there, if they miss the playoffs no way.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Does he have a NMC that I don't know about? Because if he doesn't and you leave him unprotected, there is a 0% chance of him being claimed with that contract.

No way is Nelson going to be unprotected if he posts another season near 30 goals...unless the Isles feels confident on June 20th that they can lose another 20-30 goal scorer off the roster and still be successful. If the Isles end up having a spectacular year this season I believe Nelson may be left out there, if they miss the playoffs no way.

He's a good player. No denying it. But, I'd rather have Tavares, Strome, Cizikas, Hamonic, Leddy, and CdH. Maybe even Pulock, although I suppose that could change depending on how things go this year.

Unless you can find a way to get rid of Boychuk, IMO it's bye-bye Brock, unfortunately.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Yes, NMC first two years.

lol, what a joke. Worst contract I've ever seen. I love how Garth specifically decided to bone himself by only giving him the NMC for the first two years. It's also humorous that Ladd asked for that probably with the expansion draft in mind, when in reality Vegas would want nothing to do with that contract anyway. Pathetic ****.

Thank you for ruining my night.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Much worse than the Yashin and DiPietro contracts?

Yes, definitely. Maybe not "much worse", but worse.

Yashin at least was a star during a time when the Isles desperately needed one. DP was the franchise and a good young goaltender trending upward. The deals were both dumb at the time(especially DP's, which would have looked terrible with any player), but the idea of locking those players up to long-term deals at least made some sense at the time. With Ladd, where is the logic?

Again, this is nothing against Ladd as a player. He's a quality middle-six guy that I'm happy to have. When factoring in dollars, term, and expansion though, I could live without him. I'm sure most Isles fans would agree.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Yes, definitely. Maybe not "much worse", but worse.

Yashin at least was a star during a time when the Isles desperately needed one. DP was the franchise and a good young goaltender trending upward. The deals were both dumb at the time(especially DP's, which would have looked terrible with any player), but the idea of locking those players up to long-term deals at least made some sense at the time. With Ladd, where is the logic?

Again, this is nothing against Ladd as a player. He's a quality middle-six guy that I'm happy to have. When factoring in dollars, term, and expansion though, I could live without him. I'm sure most Isles fans would agree.

While I do agree that he probably isn't worth that amount, the logic as to why he's being paid that much is simply that's what it takes to bring in quality FA's.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
While I do agree that he probably isn't worth that amount, the logic as to why he's being paid that much is simply that's what it takes to bring in quality FA's.

Dollars - sure. But the term and NMC? I refuse to believe that those were requirements for any team looking to sign Andrew Ladd or a player of his ilk at 30+. Garth got desperate on Day 1. I understand why, considering what he was set to lose, but it's gonna sting pretty bad. Hopefully later rather than sooner.

Whatever though, I'd rather bring this back to being about Barzal. I feel bad, taking a thread about such a great thing and turning it into a negative.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Dollars - sure. But the term and NMC? I refuse to believe that those were requirements for any team looking to sign Andrew Ladd or a player of his ilk at 30+. Garth got desperate on Day 1. I understand why, considering what he was set to lose, but it's gonna sting pretty bad. Hopefully later rather than sooner.

Whatever though, I'd rather bring this back to being about Barzal. I feel bad, taking a thread about such a great thing and turning it into a negative.

Eriksson basically got the same deal (slightly more per year, 1 less year) with first 2 years NMC. These guys are in a union so these things are negotiated in trends, same way a few years ago everyone was signing those 11 year front-loaded contracts. I totally understand your frustration, but if we want to add a top FA veteran this is the way it's going to be.

...Sorry, lets get back to matty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad