C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Who is he compared to? I've seen McDavid a bit and he is amazing but I continue to hear a Eichel isn't far behind. So who is a good player comparison?

Also could this be the best 1-2 since 2004?

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Who is he compared to? I've seen McDavid a bit and he is amazing but I continue to hear a Eichel isn't far behind. So who is a good player comparison?

A lot of people compare him to Getzlaf. Somebody here compared his style of play to E Stall the other day and that makes some sense to me......he often looks like he's gliding....dont know if its an effort/ focus issue or if things are just so easy for him that it looks that way. Unbelievable vision and creativity.

buttman*

Reminds people of Mike Modano. Lots of speed and dangerous on the rush.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

It certainly could be, especially if you are talking about forwards that have gone 1-2. If not, Stamkos-Doughty as a 1-2 is hard to beat IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Eichel has compared himself to Jeff Carter and I think that's the best pro comparison. Big guy who is an excellent skater and is a capable playmaker but will make his mark more as a goal scorer. Not super intense away from the puck but competitive in his own way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Eichel has compared himself to Jeff Carter and I think that's the best pro comparison. Big guy who is an excellent skater and is a capable playmaker but will make his mark more as a goal scorer. Not super intense away from the puck but competitive in his own way.

Thats a pretty decent comparison, though Carter is a bit more of a north south player. I see Eichel as becoming a bit bigger and stronger with much better playmaking ability. Which is why he projects to be such a good player.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It certainly could be, especially if you are talking about forwards that have gone 1-2. If not, Stamkos-Doughty as a 1-2 is hard to beat IMO.

I'm one of those people that holds the 2008 in higher regards than the 2004 duo. Stamkos is a better pure goal scorer than Ovi imo, and Doughty is arguably the best dman in the league right now (close between him, keith and Weber imo). I can see 2015 possibly surpassing though because both Mcdavid and Eichel are projected to be generational players, which I can't honestly remember when that has ever happened in a draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Thats a pretty decent comparison, though Carter is a bit more of a north south player. I see Eichel as becoming a bit bigger and stronger with much better playmaking ability. Which is why he projects to be such a good player.

Right, just going by what Eichel himself has said as well as my opinion that Carter is a better overall player than sometimes given credit for. I think certain players get pigeonholed at the NHL level (they can be a playmaker or goalscorer but not both) due to their tendencies. For instance, Getzlaf could probably be a top goalscorer if he wanted to, but that's not his game.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I definitely see Eric Staal in him. I'm not sure if he's as good a skater as Modano but very very few are.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
I'm one of those people that holds the 2008 in higher regards than the 2004 duo. Stamkos is a better pure goal scorer than Ovi imo, and Doughty is arguably the best dman in the league right now (close between him, keith and Weber imo). I can see 2015 possibly surpassing though because both Mcdavid and Eichel are projected to be generational players, which I can't honestly remember when that has ever happened in a draft.

No offense, but is this a joke? This whole posts reeks of hype train, which I guess is understandable in the prospects forum. At best, if both of these players pan out the way they should and then some, the highest they can really possibly achieve is the status of "generational players" which Ovi and Geno have ALREADY established. Now OVI and Geno are working on adding to their legacy outside of their "Peak." So really at best, we are hoping they match. Realistic expectations would be for them both to become elite producers and top players in the league, and be able to step right in and do that would be impressive in its own right.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No offense, but is this a joke? This whole posts reeks of hype train, which I guess is understandable in the prospects forum. At best, if both of these players pan out the way they should and then some, the highest they can really possibly achieve is the status of "generational players" which Ovi and Geno have ALREADY established. Now OVI and Geno are working on adding to their legacy outside of their "Peak." So really at best, we are hoping they match. Realistic expectations would be for them both to become elite producers and top players in the league, and be able to step right in and do that would be impressive in its own right.

One cup between Malkin and Ovi. They can most definitely be surpassed.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Team game... their is no question both are individually hall of fame players. When people look back at the Post 04 lockout malkin and ovechkins names will ring out as two of the very best talents.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO

Oh, obviously you were referring to them being the best at being on cup winning teams. I thought you were referring to personal achievements and personal impact on the game when talking about best 1-2 duos.

Have we considered 2007 with patty kane and jvr yet? I mean 2 cups between the two, probaby the best duo as of recent right? Plus if you go back a little further, in 2003 Fleury and Staal might be the best 1-2 punch in recent history. 2 cups between the two with both having a cup and then while eric's luck of being on a cup winning team ran out, fleury has at least come close again and may continue to do so.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

WTF? Ovi and Malkin are not generational players by a long shot. Crosby, Lidstrom, Jagr, Roy, Lemieux, Gretzky are the players in recent memory who could be considered generational. Maybe Lindros if he'd stayed healthy. But that's too many, realistically you have to narrow it down to just Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Crosby (if he continues to play at a high level for 10 more years) as the players that define a generation.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I would stay away from Eichel as a top pick for now.
I just think its too risky of a pick.
I rather draft a surer thing.
I rather go with the Defenseman Hanifin.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
WTF? Ovi and Malkin are not generational players by a long shot. Crosby, Lidstrom, Jagr, Roy, Lemieux, Gretzky are the players in recent memory who could be considered generational. Maybe Lindros if he'd stayed healthy. But that's too many, realistically you have to narrow it down to just Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Crosby (if he continues to play at a high level for 10 more years) as the players that define a generation.

Technically generational players are the best in the game. Roy lagged far behind Hasek for the best goaltender in his generation if not ever, and its debatable whether Crosby is the best player in the game. Its not like he's racking up every award as there's been plenty of seasons when Ovechkin has been better, and Malkin has carried that team plenty.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

Hanifin is a step below in talent. A defenseman is never a surer thing than a forward in the draft.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Care to explain this? Sounds like nonsense . . . in what way is a less talented defenseman less risky than a talent like Eichel?

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Sorry if this has already been answered but how long does he plan on staying in the NCAA?

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
jmacleod16
5 minutes ago
Happy birthday to my roommate and my boy @jackeichel11 #18

http://instagram.com/p/usxpooDNh2/

10748121_974199962596812_1868896428_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events