C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't disagree that BU is a quality program. There still remains a possibility that Eichel plays less than 20 games after Christmas at BU, where he could play 50 in the Quebec league. Also, there is a still the issue that the biggest offensive threat he`d get compared to at the NCAA level is Kariya (to whom he compares poorly).

I fully expect him to stay at BU, but I don`t think he can catch McDavid if he only plays half the games.

Just because he plays in the NCAA doesn't mean he'll get compared to Kariya from the '92-93 NCAA season just because Kariya had the highest scoring freshman season. NCAA hockey was very high scoring then and it's not now (nor does freshman point totals determine scout opinions on a player). The same reasoning is why he wouldn't be compared to Lemieux's draft eligible scoring records from the QMJHL if Eichel were to move over as you suggest.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I don't disagree that BU is a quality program. There still remains a possibility that Eichel plays less than 20 games after Christmas at BU, where he could play 50 in the Quebec league. Also, there is a still the issue that the biggest offensive threat he`d get compared to at the NCAA level is Kariya (to whom he compares poorly).

I fully expect him to stay at BU, but I don`t think he can catch McDavid if he only plays half the games.

I am sure he could play a hundred open hockey games but that doesn't mean it would make him better.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
When was the last time a first overall pick came from NCAA? I think there is a definate bias to the CHL with the pro scouts. Also, Mcdavid will probably be playing hockey in May , long after Eichel's seaon is done.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
When was the last time a first overall pick came from NCAA? I think there is a definate bias to the CHL with the pro scouts. Also, Mcdavid will probably be playing hockey in May , long after Eichel's seaon is done.

The majority of top picks are Canadian. The majority of them don't play in the NCAA. The majority of Americans who do play in the NCAA don't accelerate their schooling to go to school early.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I wish this whole America vs. Canada thing could be put to bed. We should be excited about the probability that the NHL is getting 2 more star players. Draft comparisons usually fade over time. I rarely hear people put Tavares and Hedman together anymore for example. This might be a similar case where both players are star caliber and we're fortunate to see them come around at all much less in the same year. Incredible class.

I don't have a ridiculously educated opinion, but it's almost too close to call right now for me personally. They're both tremendous players. I like to see young players playing as many games as possible, but I do believe the NCAA to be a tougher place to play from a physical standpoint. It's a bit like if the CHL was comprised entirely of overage players. So many guys in their early 20's in the NCAA. But the tradeoff from a prospect standpoint is having fewer games to assert yourself and really stand out while adjusting to the level which is not something McDavid has to worry about this season. I like that Eichel challenged himself to play over his head, but he's going to have to do some *serious* damage to catch McDavid's hellish pace in scoring. It's an exciting class to follow.... especially when your NHL team is hilariously bad.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I don't really see a Canada vs USA thing revolving around Eichel and McDavid either, except when they play against one another internationally of course.

What might be a bit interesting is if Calgary (probably the lowest ranked Canadian team by most) and Buffalo (or Carolina, or whatever other team most feel will finish in the bottom 2) select one and two.

There will, unfortunately, be chatter about "the Canadian team chose the Canadian player", or worse, if Buffalo finishes last, and selects Eichel, there will be people pointing that Buffalo chose the American, though I would bet that if they did select Eichel over McDavid at the time, nationality did not factor into their decision.

What I do think, however, is that these two will be compared to one another for 'x' amount of years, just like Seguin and Hall, or they will be media-orchestrated rivals like Ovie and Crosby. Lots of media spin will (unfairly) be heaved upon both.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
After WJC Eichel will have 16 regular season game left on schedule, plus H-East playoffs , 3-5, then hopefully NCAA Championships.

That will carry him thru March.

Then he WILL play for USA in mens World Championships before the draft just like Fiala did for Swiss.

IMO this will be the path he will take and should take.

The World Championships will be the biggest stage for him and he will be very well prepared to play against men after a full season of H-East.

Wolfpack21

Dec 14, 2008
Ranger fan in Jersey
After WJC Eichel will have 16 regular season game left on schedule, plus H-East playoffs , 3-5, then hopefully NCAA Championships.

That will carry him thru March.

Then he WILL play for USA in mens World Championships before the draft just like Fiala did for Swiss.

IMO this will be the path he will take and should take.

The World Championships will be the biggest stage for him and he will be very well prepared to play against men after a full season of H-East.

When are the WJC?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Dec 26 to Jan 5th(?). In Toronto and Montreal.

The World Championships are in early May in Europe.

May 1 this year...

which means the 1st rd. of the PO will not be concluded by the time the team departs...meaning this year 100% of the team will consist of players from non-playoff teams...meaning I hope they start scouting players in mid January...

I'v been wanting HC to try this for a while now of naming players early and going with them instead of naming the team as players become available and flying them in later. And teams out of the Top 8 by American thanksgiving are most likely not making the playoffs, so it's not at all difficult to target players and scout well in advance.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yes and no as the USNDTP schedule has a mix of NCAA and USHL teams. As for BU, they consider it an exhibition like when they destroyed the Canadian university team the other day when Eichel put up 5 assists.

His first three games, exhibition or not: 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points. 4 PPG.

Next week, the schedule kicks into gear with games against Michigan and Michigan State.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
An in-depth breakdown of Eichel's performance against his former team (USNTDP):

http://thehockeywriters.com/jack-eichel-tracker-torching-his-former-team/

Outside of his ability to produce with the puck, I was not overly impressed by his game versus his old team. But this is taken with a grain a salt because it was an exhibition game and an exhibition game versus his old team. Away from the puck, he didn't really do much and wished I saw more tenacity in his puck pursuit, but when the puck is on his stick, he can dissect the play sooo effortlessly. Slows down the play, tons of patience, and controls the tempo; very rare.

But yeah, excited to see him play more meaningful games to see if he has more energy in his game away from the puck.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Outside of his ability to produce with the puck, I was not overly impressed by his game versus his old team. But this is taken with a grain a salt because it was an exhibition game and an exhibition game versus his old team. Away from the puck, he didn't really do much and wished I saw more tenacity in his puck pursuit, but when the puck is on his stick, he can dissect the play sooo effortlessly. Slows down the play, tons of patience, and controls the tempo; very rare.

But yeah, excited to see him play more meaningful games to see if he has more energy in his game away from the puck.

This is the one knock I keep hearing in Eichel's game, that without the puck, his effort level is somewhat inconsistent. I want to see him some more before I decide whether to agree with this or not, though to me, this is pretty common among young, highly skilled players. He sure is a gamebreaker with the puck though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

100% agree. He lacks tenacity on the forecheck and does not pursue open ice with enough urgency, both of which is a concern. He's got all the talent in the world though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad