C Dean Letourneau - St. Andrew's College, CAHS (2024, 25th, BOS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Imo ..Likely a bust . Just hard to play as a 6’6 F in today’s modern NHL . I called Bust on Logan Brown way back when he was taken by Ottawa in 1st and doing the same now . I just don’t see a top prospect here ..

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Ullmark trade somewhat salvaged.

Kid is big, skates well, and actually can process the game at a decent level. Plus is going to a great program at BC.
This nonsense about a lower-level league is not true; they played the top prep team in N.A., junior B teams, and U20 international teams. Versus Shattuck-St. Marys, in 2 games, he scored 5 goals. The kid handles the puck like a 6'1" player. Dean comes from a very athletic family. He did not go through major growth sprints all at once but grew into his physique slowly.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
In this video, I talk about three main elements that Dean Letourneau needs to improve upon to really ramp up the odds of hitting his potential (which is pretty high)...as always, not a highlight reel, more of a shift by shift breakdown.

Plus, a horrible new thumbnail maker was found, so...I don't have to be an old fuddy duddy and make them in Photoshop anymore, I guess? Woo...

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
makes zero sense for him to go straight to Boston College - should went to ushl for a year and take his time in the development

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
What interests me most about Letourneau is that he doesn’t use his size all that much. He plays like a smaller skill guy, so it makes me wonder if he is more likely to succeed than other huge guys because he isn’t even using his biggest advantage over other players. It’s sort of like a player having insane speed but he doesn’t use it, requiring his other skills to develop enough that he becomes an overall offensive threat when he finally figures out how to use his speed.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
What interests me most about Letourneau is that he doesn’t use his size all that much. He plays like a smaller skill guy, so it makes me wonder if he is more likely to succeed than other huge guys because he isn’t even using his biggest advantage over other players.
Right. That's the trick of it. Like I said in that video a couple posts ago, if you don't use your advantage then you just don't have one. But he's not taking "exploitative advantage" of his situation, which gives me hope that he has more scalable upside to offer.

If he can incorporate better use of his frame to enhance his offensive capabilities, buy himself some time - particularly from a playmaking perspective - then you could really have something. That's also part of the reason I thought the USHL would have been a good next step - but I get it. That's a big commitment, it's a big number of games...I thought maybe the new coaching staff might have helped the situation, but if you're really down on your luck, you can always get booted back to the USHL haha

Top cheese Gaz

Nov 21, 2023
NCAA seems a big step for him, he seems to passive when he doesn't have the puck.

I hope he will have a good year with Boston but I have my reserve. The really went for the long shot here.

bigmacbc

Sep 23, 2023
NCAA seems a big step for him, he seems to passive when he doesn't have the puck.

I hope he will have a good year with Boston but I have my reserve. The really went for the long shot here.
Look- frankly, at prep, I think he wanted to share the wealth a little/discourage teams from just swarming him by not always being as aggressive off the puck. I also think that, in an environment like BC, they'll encourage him to play more of a team game in a context where he isn't as immediately dominant. I also think they may play him on the wing, at least to get him a little more acclimated.

The fact is that he's a super skilled dude who is 6'6. he's gangly and needs to improve his skating, but I think that in a good NCAA developmental environment, they can turn him into a pretty immediate contributor, if possibly in a 3rd line role. Also, I think that Jonathan Castagna did pretty well playing for Cornell, and Dean was way more productive than he was at that level.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He probably would've been close to 1PPG in the USHL this year. I don't think he'd have had like 10 or 15 points. I agree with everyone that he probably should've played a year in the USHL, but if you're a first rounder you probably shouldn't need to play USHL the year after you are getting drafted. Otherwise, are you actually a good enough current hockey player or is the selling point of what you are too much about potential?

Reactions: Wieters

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
only reason he’s first rounder is his huge size and potential - if he’s 6 feet prob not getting drafted . he just jumping multiple league league competition - reminds me of flyers first round draft pick usa prep school to providence back to juniors

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
only reason he’s first rounder is his huge size and potential

no_shit_sherlock.jpg

Every player in every pro sport is drafted based on their potential. :nod:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He probably would've been close to 1PPG in the USHL this year. I don't think he'd have had like 10 or 15 points. I agree with everyone that he probably should've played a year in the USHL, but if you're a first rounder you probably shouldn't need to play USHL the year after you are getting drafted. Otherwise, are you actually a good enough current hockey player or is the selling point of what you are too much about potential?
How many points do you think he will get this year in the NCAA though? I’m expecting like 15 points in like 40ish games his freshman year.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
How many points do you think he will get this year in the NCAA though? I’m expecting like 15 points in like 40ish games his freshman year.
I think 10-15 would be fine as long as he starts to develop some pace and learns how to incorporate his size into his game. Points aren’t really important yet, I’d prefer a development of style instead of a year where he produces 20 points but doesn’t become any more projectable to the pros.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Ideally he Centers the 2 other Bruins picks in Jellvik and Gasseau but realistically he's on the 3rd or 4th line to start, I can see massive growing pains and possibly 8-10 points
However he remains extremely intriguing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad