C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He definitely doesn't shoot enough, but he seemed to be doing it more in the playoffs last year. He had a few nice snipes.

He was shooting more out of necessity. Being double teamed with no one to help leads to a lot more shooting. He's got more support in Edmonton, so he can pass it off more often, but I suspect he'll start learning where and when to shoot, probably sooner rather than later.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
what is everyone's thoughts so far in preseason? I am surprised to hear a lot of Oiler fans saying he isn't doing as much as they thought so far and that a lot of his moves he did in junior that worked always just don't work against grown men now.

I am not starting trouble, I am actually curious what people on here honestly think. I have been on vacation the past 10 days and have been completely out of touch watching games on TV and have only made in on a comp for a few mins once every few days to read up on NHL.... Talking to die hard Oiler friends of mine, I've just noticed a shift in the way they think now. Seems like it went from 100 point predictions and leading NHL in points and so on and so on, to now saying they would be happy with 60+ points ish and just build chemistry this year to prepare for years to come.

Ive been reading up on HFBOARDS today since ive been back and there are a lot of different opinions now. Sure tons are still predicting huge stats, but there are a ton of people and Oiler fans predicting way less now.. ive come back to bizzaro world since being away past 10 days!!!!!haha

what has been everyones thoughts?

JA

Connor has great skating ability and a very advanced skill set, but he needs to make numerous adjustments to his game in order to be more effective than he is now. Both his playmaking and scoring ability suffer because of some of his current tendencies. One of his problems so far is that he doesn't keep his head up when he makes plays. Often, he'll blindly throw the puck into an area where none of his teammates are; while he has great passing ability and can make crisp passes, I think he overestimates his vision. From what I recall, Jason Spezza used to also have this issue of "passing into an area" while just expecting someone to be there. The NHL game is far more structured than the junior game, so players are going to be in a certain place based on how they have been coached. Connor will need to learn his team's system in order to make effective blind passes. He doesn't have eyes on the back of his head, as some observers would like to believe. Keeping his head up as he skates and looking around, assessing the situation so that he can make good passes, is what he should do if he wants to make the best use of his passing ability.

Another problem with Connor's game so far is his lack of confidence to shoot the puck. From what I have seen of him, and based on reports from last year, one of his weakest attributes is his shooting ability. He does not take shots from afar. As a result, most of his goals have relied on his hands and his ability to generate a partial break or a full breakaway and then deke the goaltender before sliding the puck along the ice into the net. Goaltenders in the NHL don't get fooled out of position as easily as junior goalies. Throughout the preseason, Connor has had some chances to score, but each time he has simply driven the puck to the net and then stickhandled the puck into the goalie. His best chance on Jacob Markstrom last night would have gone in against a junior goaltender, but Markstrom simply covered the bottom of the net and held his ground. Connor needs to adapt his offense.

One on one, he isn't able to beat NHL level defensemen yet. I don't think anybody here expected that he could skate around NHL defensemen with ease. Defensemen have been keeping him to the outside thus far, and some have stood him up. There have been a few times when he has dashed through the neutral zone with great speed, only to lose the puck a few feet into the offensive zone with both defensemen still in proper position.

He is dangerous around the net, though, because of his quick passing ability. When he is in front of the net, he is able to make quick passes through the crease. A few times, I have seen him grab a loose puck at the net, and instead of shooting it he'll throw it to a streaking teammate on the other side of the net. That seems to be something that works for him right now.

He has things to learn. I don't think he will jump in and be able to single-handedly change anything for his club. It's difficult to imagine him lighting up the league in his first year. It will take time before he reaches his peak, unless he is too entrenched in his current tendencies to change. He may eventually be a great player, but he isn't the type of player who will step in right away and take the crown away from anybody.

He isn't able to do what he wants to do with the puck yet. To be honest, I don't think he is at the level that Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were at in their rookie year. I suppose many were expecting him to have such a season. I think he will gradually learn to be a very dangerous player with the puck, but he's quite raw right now. I would put a question mark beside the label of "generational player" right now because his development could go in a number of different directions. If he stagnates, then he's in trouble. If he improves, then there are things to look forward to.

He won't jump in and be a dominant player right away. He isn't that kind of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
life_elevengallery_03_800.jpg

Does McJesus remind anyone of this kid?

Not really. Both Good/Great players. Perrault had the best hands in the NHL. Wide skating style.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Connor has great skating ability and a very advanced skill set, but he needs to make numerous adjustments to his game in order to be more effective than he is now. Both his playmaking and scoring ability suffer because of some of his current tendencies. One of his problems so far is that he doesn't keep his head up when he makes plays. Often, he'll blindly throw the puck into an area where none of his teammates are; while he has great passing ability and can make crisp passes, I think he overestimates his vision. From what I recall, Jason Spezza used to also have this issue of "passing into an area" while just expecting someone to be there. The NHL game is far more structured than the junior game, so players are going to be in a certain place based on how they have been coached. Connor will need to learn his team's system in order to make effective blind passes. He doesn't have eyes on the back of his head, as some observers would like to believe. Keeping his head up as he skates and looking around, assessing the situation so that he can make good passes, is what he should do if he wants to make the best use of his passing ability.

Another problem with Connor's game so far is his lack of confidence to shoot the puck. From what I have seen of him, and based on reports from last year, one of his weakest attributes is his shooting ability. He does not take shots from afar. As a result, most of his goals have relied on his hands and his ability to generate a partial break or a full breakaway and then deke the goaltender before sliding the puck along the ice into the net. Goaltenders in the NHL don't get fooled out of position as easily as junior goalies. Throughout the preseason, Connor has had some chances to score, but each time he has simply driven the puck to the net and then stickhandled the puck into the goalie. His best chance on Jacob Markstrom last night would have gone in against a junior goaltender, but Markstrom simply covered the bottom of the net and held his ground. Connor needs to adapt his offense.

One on one, he isn't able to beat NHL level defensemen yet. I don't think anybody here expected that he could skate around NHL defensemen with ease. Defensemen have been keeping him to the outside thus far, and some have stood him up. There have been a few times when he has dashed through the neutral zone with great speed, only to lose the puck a few feet into the offensive zone with both defensemen still in proper position.

He is dangerous around the net, though, because of his quick passing ability. When he is in front of the net, he is able to make quick passes through the crease. A few times, I have seen him grab a loose puck at the net, and instead of shooting it he'll throw it to a streaking teammate on the other side of the net. That seems to be something that works for him right now.

He has things to learn. I don't think he will jump in and be able to single-handedly change anything for his club. It's difficult to imagine him lighting up the league in his first year. It will take time before he reaches his peak, unless he is too entrenched in his current tendencies to change. He may eventually be a great player, but he isn't the type of player who will step in right away and takes the crown away from anybody.

He isn't able to do what he wants to do with the puck yet. To be honest, I don't think he is at the level that Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were at in their rookie year. I suppose many were expecting him to have such a season. I think he will gradually learn to be a very dangerous player with the puck, but he's quite raw right now. I would put a question mark beside the label of "generational player" right now because his development could go in a number of different directions. If he stagnates, then he's in trouble. If he improves, then there are things to look forward to.

He won't jump in and be a dominant player right away. He isn't that kind of player.

strange reading this cause ive been hearing pretty much the complete opposite of all of this for past couple years and especially since Oilers won the lottery.

Appreciate the scouting report of how hes been doing at camp tho!!

Its just strange to see people not going on and on and on about him nearly as much.... and as I said before, I was wondering what the heck has been going on in the past 10 days that I was away cause its turned into bizzaro world reading such different observations as before

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
what is everyone's thoughts so far in preseason? I am surprised to hear a lot of Oiler fans saying he isn't doing as much as they thought so far and that a lot of his moves he did in junior that worked always just don't work against grown men now.

I am not starting trouble, I am actually curious what people on here honestly think. I have been on vacation the past 10 days and have been completely out of touch watching games on TV and have only made in on a comp for a few mins once every few days to read up on NHL.... Talking to die hard Oiler friends of mine, I've just noticed a shift in the way they think now. Seems like it went from 100 point predictions and leading NHL in points and so on and so on, to now saying they would be happy with 60+ points ish and just build chemistry this year to prepare for years to come.

Ive been reading up on HFBOARDS today since ive been back and there are a lot of different opinions now. Sure tons are still predicting huge stats, but there are a ton of people and Oiler fans predicting way less now.. ive come back to bizzaro world since being away past 10 days!!!!!haha

what has been everyones thoughts?

100 point predictors were delusional to begin with. From day 1- the overwhelming majority in HFOil with some of the most massive homers were saying 65. Im not sure you could find too many saying 100 points

His development is about where everyone predicted. Hes shown glimpses of dominance and played at a high level all preseason. But he has elements to his game that will need adjustment

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
100 point predictors were delusional to begin with. From day 1- the overwhelming majority in HFOil with some of the most massive homers were saying 65. Im not sure you could find too many saying 100 points

His development is about where everyone predicted. Hes shown glimpses of dominance and played at a high level all preseason. But he has elements to his game that will need adjustment

Ya I am just happy to see people be more realistic. Was completely out of control for a long time before exhibition started. I have no doubt in my mind he will be good but most of the predictions before were crazy!

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
But is he already better than, say, mr. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, that guy whose name is so fine and fancy I should think he is a noble Briton and drinks tea every afternoon at 5 pm. in tweed? And whose game is as fine and fancy as his name, so fine and fancy you can get, on and with ice. To a tea.

Needless to say I am a huge RNH fan. Go Nuge!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ya I am just happy to see people be more realistic. Was completely out of control for a long time before exhibition started. I have no doubt in my mind he will be good but most of the predictions before were crazy!

Thats media hype, not fan hype. HFOil actually predicted lower point totals than main boards. After numerous 1st overalls I think Oiler fans learned to temper hype

He hasnt been able to put up dizzing offense (although 4 assists in 4 games) but the big thing is hes look good defensively. Thats a major good thing for the Oilers with a horrible D core

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Offence in the NHL doesn't magically manifest by itself, the Oilers crappy blue line and poor outlet transition will hamstring the forwards for another year. They need to lose Nikitin and Ference in the worst way and for Reinhart and Nurse to mature over this year so they are ready to play bigger roles next year.

JA

The hype machine got out of hand. The media, players, and many fans started touting him as the best player in a generation. Expectations have become incredibly unrealistic as a result.

He isn't where Crosby and Ovechkin were ten years ago. People expected him to jump in and be dominant immediately. He has things to learn still.
Gretzky: McDavid can handle transition to NHL
Saturday, 07.18.2015 / 12:28 PM / News
By David Satriano - NHL.com Staff Writer

Wayne Gretzky said he doesn't expect Connor McDavid to struggle in the NHL despite extremely high expectations, turning pro at 18 after three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League.

"Going right from junior to the NHL? That's a big step for Connor," Gretzky told the Edmonton Journal this week. "But he's the one guy who can handle it. He'll be fine. With his speed and his shot and his creativity and his hockey knowledge, that's as good as anybody."

"As good as he is, he's unselfish. [McDavid] wants the team to do well," Gretzky said. "That's really important for an 18-year-old with the limelight.

"What's going to surprise NHL people about Connor is he has an extra gear. When you think you've got him, he'll pull away. That's his strength."

"Is Connor going to win the scoring title? That's probably asking too much, but he's got the ability to compete," Gretzky said.
http://www.tsn.ca/stamkos-mcdavid-better-than-me-1.357278
Stamkos: McDavid better than me
By Frank Seravalli

Steven Stamkos scored 51 goals and netted 95 points as a 19 year old in the NHL. He was a No. 1 overall pick. He practically bathed in lofty expectations - and understands the unique pressure associated better than just about anyone.

But even Stamkos did not hesitate on Tuesday when asked about The Next One in Connor McDavid.

“This guy is a special kid,” the Tampa Bay Lightning star told ESPN.com. “I think he’s better than me right now. I wouldn’t have a second thought on saying that.”

The bar was already sky high for McD
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sidney-crosby-on-expectations-surrounding-connor-mcdavid-193913524.html
Sidney Crosby on expectations surrounding Connor McDavid
By Sean Leahy
September 10, 2015 3:39 PM
Puck Daddy

“[H]ow many 18 year olds have his ability?,” Crosby said during NHL Players Media Day in Toronto. “I’m sure they’re high, as they should be, but for him you just have to enjoy the process and make sure he doesn’t get too caught up in that.

“He’s pretty levelheaded. I think he’s got things figured out pretty early on. I understand that the expectations are high but he looks like a guy who’s going to be able to live with them as well.”
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is-connor-mcdavid-hype-getting-out-of-control/
Is Connor McDavid hype getting out of control?
By: Ken Campbell on April 22, 2015

To hear the hockey world talk about it, not only will Connor McDavid get the Edmonton Oilers into the playoffs, he’ll win multiple Stanley Cups, find a remedy for climate change and, possibly even find life on other planets.

That is the kind of hype that is following this young man these days. Earlier this season, I was speaking with an NHL GM who was asked (off the record) about McDavid and he said: “You draft a guy hoping he’s going to be an all-star and a great player for a long time. I look at this guy and I’m thinking, ‘He’s going to be a Hall of Famer.’ “

All this before McDavid has taken even a single shift in the NHL. Then there is former Oiler legend Wayne Gretzky, who declared to Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal that McDavid “is the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years,” noting of course that Mario Lemieux came into the league in 1984, which is 31 years ago. In Gretzky’s defense, he did also put Sidney Crosby in that conversation, but basically made the proclamation that McDavid is better than Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Alex Ovechkin and Eric Lindros, the last of whom had 20 more points in 10 more games than McDavid did in his draft year.

Fair enough. We all tend to get caught up in these things when a player as special as McDavid comes along. And so far McDavid has done nothing to suggest that he won’t at least equal what those other great players have done. But then Gretzky went on to say: I hope he brings Edmonton a Stanley Cup and he breaks my records…he’s got the talent and the makeup to do it.”

(Insert record scratch here.)

Whoa. We’re going to have to do a reality check on that one. It’s one thing to say that McDavid is a generational talent who is going to do wonderful things in the NHL for a long time. Gretzky’s proclamation that McDavid, “may be the one player who can get the Oilers over the hump,” is certainly within the realm of possibility. But for the player who set almost every offensive record in the game to predict that McDavid has the “talent and makeup” to break them, to score almost 900 goals and almost 3,000 points and eclipse a single season of 92 goals?

Is McDavid really that great, or is there a chance that we, perhaps, might be getting just a little too caught up in the hype?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There's a lot of hype but it's inevitable.

I will say this even though some of your points are valid, the fact is I still think he has already outplayed Nugent Hopkins in the pre-season. Every game I'd say he generates 2-3x more high end chances than RNH does.

The main thing is his shot. He's going to have to work on that, he didn't have to use it as much in junior because he could just dangle around everyone.

And obviously it would be stupid to expect him to just beat NHL defenders wide every time down the ice, he didn't do that even in junior.

He's still had like 3-4 breakaways/2 or 3 on 1s this pre-season because of his speed though. That's where his shot needs to improve. He should have 2-3 goals to go with those 5 assists.

But even going back to Crosby's rookie year ... his shot was pretty weak too, though better than McDavid's is right now. Most of Crosby's rookie goals were around the net, not big time snipe jobs.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'm going to say that the only thing he needs to work on right now is his finish. If he capitalized on half his breakaways and other attempts where he's been absolutely robbed, he would be leading the preseason in points and we'd be having a much different conversation.

He looks far and away better than the rest of our players, and the players he has played against. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him half a season to figure out how to score on NHL goalies. He is noticeably more talented than RNH, Hall, Eberle. It's a significant difference in skill.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I'm going to say that the only thing he needs to work on right now is his finish. If he capitalized on half his breakaways and other attempts where he's been absolutely robbed, he would be leading the preseason in points and we'd be having a much different conversation.

He looks far and away better than the rest of our players, and the players he has played against. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him half a season to figure out how to score on NHL goalies. He is noticeably more talented than RNH, Hall, Eberle. It's a significant difference in skill.

:amazed:

Huh. The kid must be just wow. We can say it now already - and without hesitation or uncertainty:

Connor McDavid is better than Crosby. That is, he will be much better in so many ways it is only ridiculous. Also scoringwise.

Okay, now I said it. Just deal with it, guys. Peace.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I agree with your points that he does need to shoot more and has made a couple blind passes he shouldn't have, but the bolded is just completely wrong. This kids head is up all the time. I'm not sure what you're watching but watching him live, anytime he picks up the puck his head is always up and he's never looking at the puck. I also don't agree that he will struggle as much as you think. He probably won't have a Crosby or Ovechkin like rookie year, but he is still going to be one of the top 20-30 forwards in the league this year and I feel 100% confident saying that. When he adjusts and starts shooting more on his point blank chances, and actually starts to finish the shots he takes, he will be dominant. I predict him scoring under 30g this year, maybe even as low as 15-20, but I think he will easily pick up around 50 assists if he's healthy all year. Even though his finish hasn't looked great he still creates tons of second opportunities and scoring chances every night.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
:amazed:

Huh. The kid must be just wow. We can say it now already - and without hesitation or uncertainty:

Connor McDavid is better than Crosby. That is, he will be much better in so many ways it is only ridiculous. Also scoringwise.

Okay, now I said it. Just deal with it, guys. Peace.

I agree with that statement dul made. It could just be the other guys looking poor though, cant tell yet.

JA

I agree with your points that he does need to shoot more and has made a couple blind passes he shouldn't have, but the bolded is just completely wrong. This kids head is up all the time. I'm not sure what you're watching but watching him live, anytime he picks up the puck his head is always up and he's never looking at the puck. I also don't agree that he will struggle as much as you think. He probably won't have a Crosby or Ovechkin like rookie year, but he is still going to be one of the top 20-30 forwards in the league this year and I feel 100% confident saying that. When he adjusts and starts shooting more on his point blank chances, and actually starts to finish the shots he takes, he will be dominant. I predict him scoring under 30g this year, maybe even as low as 15-20, but I think he will easily pick up around 50 assists if he's healthy all year. Even though his finish hasn't looked great he still creates tons of second opportunities and scoring chances every night.

He has made several errant passes because he thinks a player will be in the location where he passes the puck. That's not because he's an inaccurate passer but because he makes assumptions about his teammates' positioning without gauging where his teammates are moments prior. Maybe he will learn; maybe he won't. It is simply an observation.

His offense needs to be more varied. He has demonstrated his tendency to try to stickhandle the puck into the net, but it isn't working. He actually needs to shoot the puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If by "best player in the league" you mean best player of all time, then I concur.

He's the best basketball player I've ever seen, and I've never even seen him play basketball.

Seriously though he's doing well, 5 points in 4 games is nothing to scoff at, he's outplayed pretty much all of the "establishment" Oiler no.1s already in camp.

He should have 6-8 points though (2-3 goal to go with those 5 assists), and I agree he needs to shoot more and work on that aspect of his game. It's underdeveloped compared to other aspects of his game, his skating, stickhandling, passing, and hockey I.Q. are all world class though.

I think he will be able to improve that though, he seems like a very, very driven kid. Like Crosby (who also had a somewhat weak shot coming in to the NHL) he will work on it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He has made several errant passes because he thinks a player will be in the location where he passes the puck. That's not because he's an inaccurate passer but because he makes assumptions about his teammates' positioning without gauging where his teammates are moments prior. Maybe he will learn; maybe he won't. It is simply an observation.

His offense needs to be more varied. He has demonstrated his tendency to try to stickhandle the puck into the net, but it isn't working. He actually needs to shoot the puck.

I agreed with you about the passes, but I don't think it has anything to do with him not keeping his head up. I think its more with him thinking that players will be there and sometimes they just aren't. I have no problem with him making plays like that when he gets more comfortable where guys will be on the ice, which is obviously going to be different in the NHL than it was in junior. So yeah maybe he should tone that part of his game down until he has 15-20 games under his belt to learn his line mates tendencies. He has only played 4 games with these guys after all and the only consistent line mate he's had is Taylor Hall.

I agree his offence could use some more variety in it, more specifically him shooting more or holding up and finding a trailer rather than driving wide so often (RNH does this beautifully when entering the zone). But its so early in the year that I'm not worried about it at all. He thinks the game as well as pretty much anyone, and even if he's lacked some variety in his game he still looks dangerous almost every time he touches the puck, and he has created way more than his 5 assists in 4 games show. He could easily have double that amount of points if not for him getting robbed several times, missing the net on point blank chances, and others failing to capitalize on the chances he creates.

I don't think theres any reason to worry about his game or his offence translating to the NHL level. Even when he's showing poor finish and sub par (for what he's capable of) decision making, he still looks like the most dangerous Oiler on the ice.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC

He has things to learn. I don't think he will jump in and be able to single-handedly change anything for his club. It's difficult to imagine him lighting up the league in his first year. It will take time before he reaches his peak, unless he is too entrenched in his current tendencies to change. He may eventually be a great player, but he isn't the type of player who will step in right away and take the crown away from anybody.

This is the absolute extreme definition of nitpicking. McDavid's 18. He has 5 points in 4 preseason games and has scored a point in every game he's played. He's been the Oilers' most dangerous forward every game. Any time he gets the puck in any sort of space, he creates something. He hasn't dominated and his shot/shooting confidence needs work, but he's been very, very impressive in his first ever real action against (mostly) NHL-calibre players. If anything, this preseason shows that he definitely is ready to make an immediate impact for the Oilers.

What do you expect of him? To skate through the other team every time he gets the puck and make a perfect pass every time as well? Not even Gretzky did that. Speaking of Gretz: he also had more than his fare share of blind pass giveaways. That's the nature of creative players. Crosby does it too.

Kind of a weird assessment. I'm going to predict that McDavid leads the Oilers in points. What say you?

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Totally agree with that. Its like people expect him to to just dangle the whole team and score or set up a teammate every time he's on the ice. The game is way too defensively sound nowadays and even in the high scoring 80's nobody was ever that dominant, as you said not even Gretzky. Just seems like some people are expecting him to be putting up 3-4 points every night and thats just not realistic. I'm sure he'll have his fair share of dominant multi point games, but even the best players in the league have games where the puck just won't go in for them, or they can't seem to create chances like they do at their best.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO he hasn't really gelled with Hall as Hall is a bit of a tough cookie to crack. He also hasn't been very good on faceoffs from what I've seen. IMO if he played on RNH's wing he'd be in a better spot as RNH thinks the game better than Hall does and that'd likely fit McDavid better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad