C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I know the MVP is for the entire playoffs. It should still go to the winning team when it's not close at all though. And finals performance should have a bigger impact on the award. No one thought McDavid was human before this series, it became obvious that he is this series due to Cassels. 4 in 7 is still great for McDavid. But he was horrible defensively. And couldn't score at all in Oshawa when DJ Smith could ensure Cassels was always on the ice with him

Seeing as how McDavid accounted for as much of Erie's offense as he did, Oshawa dedicated a major part of their gameplan to shutting down McDavid. They did that well and had absolutely no problem dismantling the rest behind him. He is unequivocally the unanimous MVP here AINEC.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Thats awesome! :handclap:

Gens fan here. Glad McDavid won it. He deserved it. And the Gens are such a pure team, it would have almost felt wrong to single out one player with the award. Appleby made some huge saves, especially last night, but he was just average for alot of the playoffs. I saw him get chased by both Niagara (game 3) and North Bay (game 1).

The Generals were just on another level with their defensive strength and their forechecking. The Otter defence were under constant pressure, and once they got it across the red line they were all being forced to the outside anyway.

Last edited:

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Any argument against McDavid winning the MVP is borderline ludicrous. Who from Oshawa should've won? It's as simple as that thought exercise. McDavid came just shy of breaking the record for points but I imagine his performance destroyed the likes of Jason Dawe. It's not like he was eliminated in the 2nd round. He was in the finals. Absolutely the only candidate anyone should've voted for.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thats awesome! :handclap:

Gens fan here. Glad McDavid won it. He deserved it. And the Gens are such a pure team, it would have almost felt wrong to single out one player with the award. Appleby made some huge saves, especially last night, but he was just average for alot of the playoffs. I saw him get chased by both Niagara (game 3) and North Bay (game 1).

The Generals were just on another level with their defensive strength and their forechecking. The Otter defence were under constant pressure, and once they got it across the red line they were all being forced to the outside anyway.

That sums it up very well. They were a great team. Everyone bought in, they were experienced, big, skilled and committed to do what it takes to win. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do against a team like Kelowna with Draisaitl leading the way.

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
Welp, there goes my interest in hockey for this season. He had a good run and it was a lot of fun to follow.

On the upside, the NHL might actually be remotely interesting next year. Probably not with all the clutching and grabbing but I'll be hopeful for another year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He did the right thing by leaving an individual award in the hall and not flaunting it in front of a team whose season just ended. He'll make an incredible NHL captain in 3 years time.

Good year, kid. a well deserved rest and get ready for the draft. see you at the combine in Buffalo.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Says Eerie will come back from a 3-1 series deficit and win, goes 0g,0a,0p,-3 the next game :/

Playing against guys a little older and bigger than him definitely hurt him. It will be interesting how long it take him to transition into NHL. If he struggled with the D for Oshawa, it could be a lengthy transition.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Playing against guys a little older and bigger than him definitely hurt him. It will be interesting how long it take him to transition into NHL. If he struggled with the D for Oshawa, it could be a lengthy transition.
Meh, we've seen this before with other big time junior stars. Plenty of times a star has gone up against another team, in the playoffs, who are really strong defensively, and who focus entirely on shutting one player down - they can normally do it, even against elite players.

In the NHL you can't really do this, every player on an NHL team is highly skilled, you can't really leave any of them with too much time/space, but in juniors a strategy like "shut down McDavid, let everyone else have extra space" is legit. You can't even do it against deep junior teams (like, say, the recent Mooseheads and Sea Dogs Memorial CUp champion teams). Erie, though, just had 2 big offensive threats (McDavid and Strome), and Strome was hurt and playing like garbage all playoffs, so Oshawa could really just focus on McDavid, and they're a very good defensive team.

Last edited:

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Says Eerie will come back from a 3-1 series deficit and win, goes 0g,0a,0p,-3 the next game :/

He hit the post, had a breakaway, set up several chances etc etc. Williams played terrible this whole series and pretty much cost it for Erie it's too bad really wanted them to make it to Mem Cup.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007

If teams in the NHL play McDavid like Oshawa did, Hall/Eberle will easily score 80 points each. There was a lot of shifts where they had one player GLUED to McDavid, and then another player sticking within 5 feet of him. His linemates should've been able to take advantage of it and start raking in the goals. It's too bad that his linemates were only able to put one good game together out of 5 in the championship series.

Aceonfire*

The Gens had the luxury of having 2-3 guys on him at all times. That can't happen in the NHL. If you have 2-3 guys on McDavid that would leave Hall open.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if an in his prime Crosby couldn't carry this team to the memorial cup, it didn't matter how much Erie would score, Oshawa would just go the other way and flip the puck at the net and it'd be in the back of the net. Erie was rough defensively, and their goaltending was some of the worst I've ever seen at a competitive level.

McDavid had two guys on him virtually the entire series, some of the best defensive players in the OHL every single shift. Not many players are going to be able light it up like he did against the other OHL powerhouse Sault Ste Marie.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
And why stop there? Leagues should scrap individual awards altogether and stop tracking individual stats.

Team game after all.

Yep. Teams should get paid in a lump sum, spread equally among all players, stick boys included. Because it's a team game.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

Ya... that would be an absolute dream for the Oilers. McDavid goes scoreless while being triple teamed in the NHL while Eberle and Hall score 5 goals each in a 13-3 route of the opposition.

The NHL isnt like juniors. No one can produce consistently in hockey while being triple teamed. The rest of his team would be playing the PP every shift he's on.

Sorry you didnt get 1st overall...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
If you think the Gens would have been as dominant without Cassels I dunno what to tell you. McDavid was amazing but his team got crushed in 5 games and while he was Erie's best player Cassels was still better than him, even when Oshawa was the better team.

I remember when everyone said it was a guarantee he'd break the playoff scoring record and that never happened.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He was shut down pretty well last night. Still, the best prospect since crosby. I don't think he's quite as good as Crosby was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad