C Calum Ritchie - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2023, 27th, COL)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ritchie ends with the tournament lead in points and scores again in the gold medal game

In my opinion, it was a disappointing performance from Ritchie. Alot of puck luck during the tournament for him. He got his points but was invisible for most of the tournament. That;s why we scout though, because the stat sheet doesn't always tell the entire story.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ritchie definitely got lucky, and his point totals need to be taken with a grain of salt, but you should say that about ALL small sample sizes. He's a big guy with some skill... that will always be of interest to NHL teams.
He did not stick out much to me, though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ritchie definitely got lucky, and his point totals need to be taken with a grain of salt, but you should say that about ALL small sample sizes. He's a big guy with some skill... that will always be of interest to NHL teams.
He did not stick out much to me, though.
The point totals surprised me also. Didn't look like the best player at the tournament, but I agree. Big guy with some skill. Skating isn't bad either. He's a center. There's potential there. I think he'll be a first rounder, and how high will likely be dependent on what type of season he has.

Reactions: Dominance

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Callum says hello there 2023 1st overall race, i'm here too!

last 3 games : 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 poiints, 2.33 ppg
+5, with 4 pim and 9 shots on goal and 35/62 at face-offs (56%)

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
To those who know more about his overall upside and projectability, does he have 1C upside?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Callum says hello there 2023 1st overall race, i'm here too!

last 3 games : 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 poiints, 2.33 ppg
+5, with 4 pim and 9 shots on goal and 35/62 at face-offs (56%)

I love Ritchie as a prospect but he isn't going 1st overall or second for that matter, if he goes 5th that will be a great outcome.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I love Ritchie as a prospect but he isn't going 1st overall or second for that matter, if he goes 5th that will be a great outcome.
Top 3 are locked up as Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli. He’s absolutely in that next group though

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I really like Ritchie’s game. He doesn’t have any crazy intangibles. He’s won’t wow you with his speed, hand speed, or shot despite being pretty good in those areas. But, he sees the game a step ahead. He’s a phenomenal playmaker and is such a smart player. At 6’2”, I think he’s a sure fire top 7 pick.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I’ve seen many of people lump Ritchie in with guys like Carlsson, Yager and Fantilli

Maybe I am not watching the same player - but he has been rather underwhelming so far this year, and even dating back to the U18’s i’ve found he has had trouble keeping up with the pace of the game.

Can anyone enilighten me as to why some see him as a top-10 pick?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’ve seen many of people lump Ritchie in with guys like Carlsson, Yager and Fantilli

Maybe I am not watching the same player - but he has been rather underwhelming so far this year, and even dating back to the U18’s i’ve found he has had trouble keeping up with the pace of the game.

Can anyone enilighten me as to why some see him as a top-10 pick?
So incredibly smooth and skilled with the puck, already has an NHL level release (watch the HAM overtime goal) and has already added a pretty high end 2-way game to his repertoire in his 2nd season in the OHL and being noticeably more physical this year too. He'll be a 100+ point guy in the OHL next year and 120+ the following year

McKeen's has Ritchie ranked 7th overall

Reactions: Dominance

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So incredibly smooth and skilled with the puck, already has an NHL level release (watch the HAM overtime goal) and has already added a pretty high end 2-way game to his repertoire in his 2nd season in the OHL and being noticeably more physical this year too. He'll be a 100+ point guy in the OHL next year and 120+ the following year

McKeen's has Ritchie ranked 7th overall

I’m well aware of the player.

I see him in a similar mold to a Dylan Strome, actually.

I think he’ll be a great junior player, but I think he’ll have limited upside once he reaches the NHL.

I have watched Oshawa 3 times this year and Ritchie didn’t stand out like a top-10 pick should. Even at the U18’s when he was tied for the tournament lead in points, he was rather lucky and as I’ve stated in this thread before - that statline doesn’t tell the whole story.

Maybe I’ve caught him on his off days - that’s entirely possible - but I don’t see a top-10 level talent here at this point in time. I see a mid-late teens guy right now.

I guess we’ll see as the season progresses.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’m well aware of the player.

I see him in a similar mold to a Dylan Strome, actually.

I think he’ll be a great junior player, but I think he’ll have limited upside once he reaches the NHL.

I have watched Oshawa 3 times this year and Ritchie didn’t stand out like a top-10 pick should. Even at the U18’s when he was tied for the tournament lead in points, he was rather lucky and as I’ve stated in this thread before - that statline doesn’t tell the whole story.

Maybe I’ve caught him on his off days - that’s entirely possible - but I don’t see a top-10 level talent here at this point in time. I see a mid-late teens guy right now.

I guess we’ll see as the season progresses.

From what I have read and seen is that he is a very well polished player with leadership and 2 way qualities that project for the NHL.

He probably won't be a superstar or even a star per say but he could very well be an extremely reliable low #1 center or elite #2 center type that has the intangibles a team would want for a SC run.

In short not a sexy fantasy player but worth more than his prodcution...at least that's his projection.

Perhaps the inverse of say a player like Phil Kessel in that his production looks better than he is as a player and I hate making comparisons but that inverse one popped into my mind.

Second one was a better version overall of a Bo Horvat.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
From what I have read and seen is that he is a very well polished player with leadership and 2 way qualities that project for the NHL.

He probably won't be a superstar or even a star per say but he could very well be an extremely reliable low #1 center or elite #2 center type that has the intangibles a team would want for a SC run.

In short not a sexy fantasy player but worth more than his prodcution...at least that's his projection.

Perhaps the inverse of say a player like Phil Kessel in that his production looks better than he is as a player and I hate making comparisons but that inverse one popped into my mind.

Second one was a better version overall of a Bo Horvat.
I think that’s a fair assessment of him.

I guess the question boils down to: In a draft as good as this one, do you want to use a top-10 selection on Ritchie? It‘s something to keep an eye on going forward.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad