C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I would say its pretty much a lock that Leafs take this kid, unless Laine looks ridiculous at WHC and Matthews lays an egg.

Franchise C vs Franchise W you take the center 10/10 times.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Mathews scouting report

"A high octane dynamo that thrives under the microscope, Auston Matthews is a complete offensive forward who consistently boasts quick hands, feet, and thinking at both ends of the ice. Naturally nimble skater that accelerates to top speed very quickly. An unwavering focus on fine tuning elements of his own game facilitates confidence and competence in his young, but mature, mind. Prolific goal scoring ability and doesn't wait for opportunities to show themselves. He makes his own luck, so to speak, maximizing the use of his body and stick to gain leverage against the toughest of opponents. All-in-all, a generational talent that has the potential to develop into a top flight franchise center. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) "

He's a bust!!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Matthews compares very nicely to Sam Gagner. He's never going to have an 8 point night though.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

Auston 3:16 says I just sniped your ass.

Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Whether Matthews ends up in Toronto or Winnipeg. It is important to note, had he been born one day earlier, he would have ended up in the 2015 draft. He had a very good year as should be expected as one of the older 18 year olds in this draft.

He did what he had to do this year. He is worthy of #1 overall, had Laine not had such an extraordinary this year which leaves the door slightly open. Matthews would be a shoe in for #1 overall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Whether Matthews ends up in Toronto or Winnipeg. It is important to note, had he been born one day earlier, he would have ended up in the 2015 draft. He a very good year as should be expected as one of the older 18 year olds in this draft.

He did what he had to do this year. He is worthy of #1 overall, had Laine not had such an extraordinary this year which leaves the door slightly open. Matthews would be a shoe in for #1 overall.
2 days earlier........

He'll go one, can't wait to see you rank him 3 or lower on your list though.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Eichel was also a late birthday in his draft like Auston. Not a big deal, more of a sign that he's a bit more physically mature.

Being a half a year older or so than someone doesn't much much in the long run.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 days earlier........

He'll go one, can't wait to see you rank him 3 or lower on your list though.

Why does it matter to you where I or anyone else ranks him? This is a prospects board, everyone has an opinion and they can rank whoever they want wherever they want.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel was also a late birthday in his draft like Auston. Not a big deal, more of a sign that he's a bit more physically mature.

I think its pretty important when examining CHL or USHL guys, just due to the fact they have played there 3rd JR season, instead of only 2. But at the top of the draft its fairly limited, Gretzky and McDavid are both January birthday's and Lemieux is a late birthday. I think its also unique how most top American players are born late, such as Eichel, Kessel and Patrick Kane. The advantage of January over Decembers in Canada is partially a function of how we divide our leagues, in the United States the cut-off date can vary.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Matthews is 7 and 8 months older than Laine(just turned 18 a little over a week ago) and Pujujarvi(who is still 17 for another week)

In a draft year, this is significant to note. Considering Matthews was 18 for the entire draft year born Sept 17.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why does it matter to you where I or anyone else ranks him? This is a prospects board, everyone has an opinion and they can rank whoever they want wherever they want.
yeah, and if they post it, its open to be criticized. But whatever, the Finns are great, but I'm ecstatic Toronto has the first choice, and going into the WC I have Matthews 1 and I doubt it changes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
yeah, and if they post it, its open to be criticized. But whatever, the Finns are great, but I'm ecstatic Toronto has the first choice, and going into the WC I have Matthews 1 and I doubt it changes.

What are you criticizing? For someone that has a different list or opinion. Seems very silly to me on a prospects board where there are so many varying opinions on players. You need to chill and let people that follow prospects debate and rank them the way they see fit.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Get ready for people to blindly criticize Matthews even though he's not a Leafs draft pick yet.

Nothing that happens in the WHC changes the overall outlook of the draft for me. Matthews is a superstar, Laine is likely one too but not the one that the Leafs need.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think its pretty important when examining CHL or USHL guys, just due to the fact they have played there 3rd JR season, instead of only 2. But at the top of the draft its fairly limited, Gretzky and McDavid are both January birthday's and Lemieux is a late birthday. I think its also unique how most top American players are born late, such as Eichel, Kessel and Patrick Kane. The advantage of January over Decembers in Canada is partially a function of how we divide our leagues, in the United States the cut-off date can vary.

Yeah, it seems inconsequential for the guys drafted at the top. I'd love to see some examples where decent difference in age ended up making one top draft pick look worse, in hindsight, than the succeeding top pick.

But I have full faith in Hunter picking BPA between Matthews and Laine.

Matthews is 7 and 8 months older than Laine(just turned 18 a little over a week ago) and Pujujarvi(who is still 17 for another week)

In a draft year, this is significant to note. Considering Matthews was 18 for the entire draft year born Sept 17.

He's exactly 7 months older than Laine. ~Half a year difference in age is more of a small side note in evaluating top guys, especially when you consider the track record of the recent, older US forwards in their respective draft years (Kane, Kessel, Eichel).

Kadri was a year older than B Schenn during their draft years, and even that proved to be inconsequential in the long run considering the big room for improvement Nazem had at the time.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
A big skilled, #1 Center, that may be a franchise player. Too hard for me to pass up on a big skilled, winger(s). I don't even have to think about it. Matthews will go number 1 if I a betting man.

You build a team up the middle. I have always been a believer of this. Teams strong up the middle are usually contenders for years to come.

Agreed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yep, that was the thinking in January, 5 months ago, before we saw what Laine did. And that does change the thinking. And it may change again after the WJC. This is why there are before the season, mid season, and Final Rankings for the draft. No one makes a ranking in January and does not adjust it. Matthews is a very good propect, no one will disagree with this. But it would be presumptuous to believe the Leafs as you are a Leafs fan, that we know who they have decided on picking before the WHC are played.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I love Laine, but Matthews is simply the better prospect currently.

Have to take him first.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yep, that was the thinking in January, 5 months ago, before we saw what Laine did. And that does change the thinking. And it may change again after the WJC. This is why there are before the season, mid season, and Final Rankings for the draft. No one makes a ranking in January and does not adjust it. Matthews is a very good propect, no one will disagree with this. But it would be presumptuous to believe the Leafs as you are a Leafs fan, that we know who they have decided on picking before the WHC are played.

[Tweet]726582194760732674[/MEDIA]

Doubt they skip the potential 1C, just like you initially said. Whether or not that's the right choice won't be known until years down the road.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
[Tweet]726582194760732674[/MEDIA]

Doubt they skip the potential 1C, just like you initially said. Whether or not that's the right choice won't be known until years down the road.

We had a discussion on this leading up to the Lottery.

A Very Good #1C or Potential Generational Winger.

All things equal as they were in January, you pick the Center. Right now, I don't know now? Laine has impressed everyone since the WJC. He has made it simply impossible to ignore him.

Don't want to get too far away from the topic of the thread. Though it is widely believed Hunter will pick Matthews. I wouldn't put that in stone just yet until after the WHC. He has been known he is not shy drafting Finns as he has with Juolevi and Maata for the Knights to great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad