C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Sounds great. What do u think about his chances to get selected to the WJC?

Im not the guy you should ask that, but he can play both center or wing so hes chanses should be pretty good. The team this year will suck!

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
If there is room for midgets like Haapala or Ikonen, there is certainly room for Saarela. Just a very determined young player with excellent skill.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
As far as I know, Saarela hasn't played with the U20 team at all. He also missed the U18 WJC due to injury last spring, and some of the players from that team will undoubtedly be on this team. So his odds of making it this year seem slim, but I think Kivi should still consider it if Saarela does exceptionally well in the Liiga now or if there are injuries.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Saarela Lukko > assat

What do you guys think about him leaving lukko for assat? I think it will be great for him, nothing is seattled yet, but I hope it goes true and that he gets a new kick out of it.. feels like he needs it, it realy affects you as a player if you dont feel like you get what you deserve. Need to get that confidence up! go Saarela!

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah there has been a bit of rumors for the past couple of days.

Season has been really tough for Saarela with the injuries making it difficult for him to keep his spot in the line-up. Don't know much about his whole situation over there, but I'd say a move would be a good thing for him to get a fresh start in another team.

Would be really excited to have Saarela in Ässät's line-up next season, since it probably isn't going to be filled with many big names anyway and I'd imagine he'd get a very good chance to show his stuff.

Last edited:

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Season has been really tough for Saarela with the injuries making it difficult for him to keep his spot in the line-up. Don't know much about his whole situation over there, but I'd say a move would be a good thing for him to get a fresh start in another team.
Yeah, the injuries have been a major factor of the not-so-great effort in Liiga, but another thing is his bad defensive game. Lukko's system relies a lot into the centers playing very responsibly and therefore he has no chance to play in the position he wants. Though he should be effective in the wings aswell, but I'd guess his concussions has made him lose all the huste and he seems to be way too careful around there.

Also, the way he has played this year, he has shown almost nothing worth of a Liiga-spot. In A-juniors his stats are good, but nowhere near dominant, so it seems really weird that he (or his dad...) wants to rush him so badly.

Now with all the injuries and the consequences from those affecting his development and chance to break into the Liiga-roster, it seems kinda weird that he chooses to change team. First thing coming to my mind is that he may not have the mentality to become a NHL-star if he blames the team when he cant get a top6-center spot in one of the best teams in Liiga while he has suffered about 5 injuries in a year and being 16-17 years old.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Of course it is at some level but every SM-Liiga team would be happy to have him so going to CHL seems very unlikely at this point.

Why is that? A 17 year old can´t be that much of an upgrade, can he?
Sincere question.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
CHL should be an option. There he will get guaranteed top six minutes from day one. And it's a tough league.

Plus, playing under the radar in Red Deer, Sarnia or somewhere could be helpful. Next year in FEL he would be constantly under the microscope.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
It is now certain: Saarela will move 50km up North to Pori and play for Ässät. Contract will be confirmed after his season is over?

I think he has a good chance of making the top6 next season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Can't believe they'd pay that much salary for a kid. Wonder how many adults there even are in the Liga getting 100k a year. Thenagain, all the little "Granlunds" out here are good boost for market revenue.

Still 1 of my favourite prospects. Had a really bad year due all the injuries that caused lack of ice time. He was only 16yo when the season started so the expectations were unreal.

If all goes well and he can play healthy next year he's gonna make a hell of a jump for the 2015 draft.

sirMcDuck

Feb 19, 2006
140.000$ paycheck for 17 year old kid who hasn't done ANYTHING in big league. That's just stupidity!

That's about TOP 10 paycheck in AHL too. No way his going to CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad