C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really nice assist on today's game for Saarela. Didn't watch the game, anybody know how did he play?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Really nice assist on today's game for Saarela. Didn't watch the game, anybody know how did he play?
Solid with a touch of "a couple of other neat passes to create some fantastic scoring chances for his teammates".

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know his draft stock. he has 4 points in 18 games but I have no idea if it's good or not since he's playing in a mens league.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I think he is out of shape. He started the season very well but suddenly he disappeared.

The team that selects him in the mid rounds will get a steal now that he knows how he needs to prepare himself to play a season against adults.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Saarela is out at the moment. Got concussion after late hit by Brian Salcido during the last game. It is not clear how serious injury is at the moment.

Saarela already missed WJC's due to knee injury. The amount of injuries and lack of development during the last two years are pretty worrying.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He's had quite a few concussions, right? I think he had two in one year of junior A.

Even if he falls to the late rounds (5-7), I would probably still pick him or even trade for an extra pick. The talent and potential is there and it's something most late rounders don't have.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Bump. Still a later pick? At one point I would of picked him top 10 but now he doesnt look so fancy... whats the deal?
Injuries. Switching teams. Getting his **** together.

The talent is definitely there. If he doesn't go until 2nd round he'd be a very potential steal.

Pretty much the same case as Pulkkinen's. A couple years prior to the draft was in the top 10, then dropped due the same reasons.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
It seems like this season passed for Saarela while adjusting to playing in the men's full time. I thought he could have had more of a presence in the U18, but the line felt like it was driven by Puljujärvi and Laine ended up scoring a lot of goals. Was it just fatigue due to the most demanding season he's played yet, or was that his ceiling showing? Have to ask the scouts how they think about that.

I'd say he does get drafted, but I'm not so sure it will be in the first couple (or three) rounds.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Smallish center who played 10+ games in the wing also but he was generally unimpressive in the wing. That was the part of the season when he was scared to pretty much all contact but that seemed to change at the end of season.

The fact that he was bit scared of contact had probably much to do with injuries. He missed U20 WJC due to "lower-body injury". Also the list of concussions is pretty scary and it probably has some effect to his play.

Anyway he has great shot which he uses way too rarely. He's fairly smart player with good playmaking skills who has good speed. Could be more agile though and that is part of the reason why he struggled in Liiga last season. Physically he is very advanced for a player of his age and that is one reason why he was dominant against juniors but of course some work needs to be done in that department also before he is ready for North America.

Anyway he has potential and will have a chance to play big minutes against men next season. Probably 2nd line center at the beginning of season but could be nr. 1 center if he can step up level or two.

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
Looks like a bust, I don't think Rangers are that happy with this selection. He's stiff, has poor agility for a small guy and should show more desire for the game.

I think the injuries hurt him. In the juniors he was as good as he was because of a lethal shot and being psychically ahead of others. After the injuries he seemed scared to go in the corners and all that and it really affected his came so his confidence went.
Seems like a mental lock to me. The talent is obviously there but i don't know if it can be dig up again...

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't been watching him play, but those that have posted in the Rangers section seem to like the way he's played this season, especially the last week or two.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He has some great talent. I wouldn't start calling him a bust at 18; in fact I find it quite absurd that anyone would at this point in his career. That said, the apparent lack of passion in his game is a bit disconcerting. Sometimes it seems that he is just going through the motions. To be sure, this is only speculation though.

nyrcup94

Jul 14, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit site
I guess I am confused. He is outpacing himself significantly from last year, when people were calling him a potential steal during the draft. How can someone be "going through the motions" and not have heart all while more than doubling his scoring pace from last year and improving his +/-? I'm confused. For someone with little heart or passion, he seems to be doing well from a statistical perspective. He is the 6th leading scorer on his team while being one of the 3 youngest players.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
He has some great talent.
Does he really? In the end he's not uber smart, uber skilled or uber driven and some aspects of his skating are lackluster for a player his size. He can shoot the puck really well in ideal circumstances, but most of the time that's not much of a help for him in Liiga. He was a star in younger juniors, no doubt, but nowadays he looks more like an average Joe without much room for growth.

I wouldn't start calling him a bust at 18; in fact I find it quite absurd that anyone would at this point in his career.
Absurd or not, I'm just not seeing the NHL upside in him. Using a 3rd round pick on him is starting to look like a bad investment to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad