Post-Game Talk (GBU): Butt Goal

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Hopefully Pysyk can follow the same type of development. I notice Tanev's gotten a couple of winners (though not OT) for you guys and is playing pretty big minutes recently himself =).

Yeah Tanev's been probably one our top defensemen this season. He is also really getting along in his offensive game like those who I talked to on here in the preseason said he would (maybe I should listen to you guys more often). His shots actually don't dip before they hit the net now! :laugh:

It really is amazing to see Tanev's development because you never knew that he'd be able to improve in certain areas because he never made mistakes, but you see him now and he really has improved. He's gone from having a positive influence on the Canucks to having a negative influence on the opposing team. Many on the Canucks board see Duncan Keith in him, without the offensive instinct and shot (and the dirtiness ;))

You guys would have a stud if Pysyk were to develop like Tanev, and man, your future defense is scary.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
D'oh, completely forgot (or maybe didn't know) that he played last year.

Well they both got one of their first two NHL goals as an OT winner ;) :yo:

Forgot to mention thanks for your comment. Tanev has become a damn solid shutdown top 4 guy for you guys, I'd love for Pysyk to do the same. I always thought Tanev would have a bit more going on offensively at this level but he has his role and he does a very good job fulfilling it.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Pysyk actually scored 1 goal in his 19 games last year. It was a sweet end-to-end rush as I recall, though maybe that was a preseason goal that I'm thinking of.

That is the preseason goal you're thinking of. I'm pretty sure his goal last year was in a blowout game against the Rangers and he just got a lucky bounce. Apparently he's pretty good at getting those.

GBU - Missed the first and second for Christmas stuff, but the third and overtime were both fun to watch. Girgs was a monster, and #buttgoal is awesome.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If we had 12 Girgs at forward we would literally never lose. He is awesome.

Came here to post something like this. He's almost untouchable at this point. The future looks good for this one.

Would also like to add that Ennis has been great the last few weeks. He looks like he bulked up a little bit too, and he is getting pretty physical. He, Stafford and Myers are the most improved since Nolan showed up.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Came here to post something like this. He's almost untouchable at this point. The future looks good for this one.

Would also like to add that Ennis has been great the last few weeks. He looks like he bulked up a little bit too, and he is getting pretty physical. He, Stafford and Myers are the most improved since Nolan showed up.

Not a comment on his trade value, but if we traded Girgensons (in a significantly greater package) for anything less than an elite franchise center, whether established (Stamkos) or nearly certain (MacKinnon), I would probably shun the Sabres for months. You just don't trade guys like him. He's our ROR, essentially. They're not particularly similar players in style but rather in substance. Neither will likely ever get the attention they deserve relative to their teammates, but they'll both be what makes the engine run; they both have ridiculous work effort on and off the ice as well as the mindset of champs.

He's been my favorite prospect since draft day and he's done nothing but give me a raging stiff since. I couldn't care less if he's ever made captain but he may well be the best leader on the ice already.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
After Ennis scored and the Phoenix player was pushing Pysyk after Moulson shoved the Phoenix player away from their celebration, I think I caught Girgensons yelling '**** off!!!!' to the player.

Made me laugh. :laugh:

He was terrible the other night, but tonight he was amazing.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
G:

The tail end of the game

B:

Smith's gonna get a bum rap for that one

U:

Phoenix fans probably didn't find that goal as fanny as we do

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
After Ennis scored and the Phoenix player was pushing Pysyk after Moulson shoved the Phoenix player away from their celebration, I think I caught Girgensons yelling '**** off!!!!' to the player.

Made me laugh. :laugh:

He was terrible the other night, but tonight he was amazing.

He's 19. He's barely out of the USHL. Given his age and background, he's doing great. I'm not expecting him to be good every game - but you can see what kind of player he is: a high impact player.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Because of stream issues and a need to sleep I only saw the second period. So I missed the ending, butt I still want in on the pun. So when the refs reviewed Pysyks OT-goal, is that what you would call a booty call?

From what I saw of the game though:

G:
Girgensons again. And the GEM line had some nice combination.
Larsson. Came in, worked hard, tried to make a difference. If Nolan is about effort and compete level, then Larsson will make it hard for him to keep him out of the line up.
Pysyk. Smooth as always.
I hear Scott was on the ice for a PP? Good! I'd rather it's him than Leino.
The PK.

B:
I've got nothing.

U:
Viaplay. I'm paying to watch hockey, so let me watch hockey, all right?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Caught the last 10 minutes and OT. It was a feel-good win that felt even better after NYI and EDM both won their games.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Good:
-THAT is the kind of environment you want your young players learning in.
-Just about every GDT post of mine praised Girgensons. I'm starting to think his ceiling is higher than that of second/third-liner. I don't think he'll ever be an elite player, but am I wrong in saying that he looked like one last night? Special.
-I knocked Ennis in a thread a few weeks ago (which was well-deserved, he was playing awful). He's been miles better since. Very, very good to see.
-I really liked Larsson's game. He's gotten quicker, too. He seems to be a 200-foot player that's a pain to go up against.
-As others have said, Moulson is fitting right in alongside Ennis and Girgensons. I'd be open to bringing him back if no teams are ponying up an appropriate package.
-Nolan praised Ott's abilities as captain in his presser. Ott takes a lot of flak around here for not being the "ideal" captain, but if the guys are starting to rally around him, so be it.
-D'Agostini has been a quality addition. He's just a responsible player.
-Miller was very good.

Bad:

-Winning. **** Matt Ellis. :sarcasm:
-Stafford elbow swing. Didn't connect, I don't think he did it maliciously or with intent to elbow, but an ugly, bizarre play nonetheless.
-As poorly officiated a game as it gets.

Ugly:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Good:
-THAT is the kind of environment you want your young players learning in.
-Just about every GDT post of mine praised Girgensons. I'm starting to think his ceiling is higher than that of second/third-liner. I don't think he'll ever be an elite player, but am I wrong in saying that he looked like one last night? Special.
-I knocked Ennis in a thread a few weeks ago (which was well-deserved, he was playing awful). He's been miles better since. Very, very good to see.
-I really liked Larsson's game. He's gotten quicker, too. He seems to be a 200-foot player that's a pain to go up against.
-As others have said, Moulson is fitting right in alongside Ennis and Girgensons. I'd be open to bringing him back if no teams are ponying up an appropriate package.
-Nolan praised Ott's abilities as captain in his presser. Ott takes a lot of flak around here for not being the "ideal" captain, but if the guys are starting to rally around him, so be it.
-D'Agostini has been a quality addition. He's just a responsible player.
-Miller was very good.

Bad:

-Winning. **** Matt Ellis. :sarcasm:
-Stafford elbow swing. Didn't connect, I don't think he did it maliciously or with intent to elbow, but an ugly, bizarre play nonetheless.
-As poorly officiated a game as it gets.

Ugly:

Ott's demeanor and attitude during this rebuild deserves recognition.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Ott's demeanor and attitude during this rebuild deserves recognition.

Agreed. He's had to change his game a bit but he is playing like a consummate pro. He brings it every night and, for the most part, has cut the shenanigans out of his game (or scaled back at least).

No reason he shouldn't be re-signed.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Larsson. Came in, worked hard, tried to make a difference. If Nolan is about effort and compete level, then Larsson will make it hard for him to keep him out of the line up.
I agree, and apologies if this was mentioned already, but the biggest thing I noticed as improved with Larsson was his puck-handling. His back-checking and effort were, as usual, excellent, but it was his work with the puck in the O-zone, especially on the PP with the extra room, that struck me. Good decisions, calm demeanor, puck on the tape. Good 2-way play, as advertised.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I agree, and apologies if this was mentioned already, but the biggest thing I noticed as improved with Larsson was his puck-handling. His back-checking and effort were, as usual, excellent, but it was his work with the puck in the O-zone, especially on the PP with the extra room, that struck me. Good decisions, calm demeanor, puck on the tape. Good 2-way play, as advertised.

We didn't have any PP during the stint of the game that I was able to watch, but I believe you and I agree that his play with the puck looked way better now. I think both Larsson and Girgensons are the type of players that we never have to be worried about. They may not be elite talents, but they have that kind of work ethics that guarantee that even on an off night, the effort will still be there. And I think that's the kind of players we want to build on. That's what's needed as a foundation. Once that's in place you can try to add some flash on top of it, and that's when we've got a contender.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd also like to state on the record... that I am not at all opposed to continuing to use Scott on the PP, in front on the net.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
It's been great to watch the slow turnaround with this team. They've certainly stepped up their game, and I haven't seen this much effort in the entire team as we have since Teddy came here.

I feel as though a corner has been turned. Not the corner mind you, but a corner. You can see it out there on display now. Remember how dull and listless this team played in the RR days?

We still have a long time to go, but it's definitely good to be able to watch the slow transition right before our eyes.

Here's hoping we get the #1 pick, and get even more prospects in the pipeline!

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I'm surprised at all the love for Larsson's game. I thought he stuck out as a player that had some struggles.

He was noticeable in a very good way actually. The play that sticks out to me is the back check in the coyotes zone, where he lifts the players stick which allows girgensons to cycle it for another 1-2 chances

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad