Burrows to meet with the NHL over Tootoo incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
sorry has Sullivan pressed charges against his father? Looked for restitution? Physical mental or sexual abuse? Was this known at the time that Burrows made the remarks?

Lots of unanswered questions. Taunting about this sort of stuff is disgusting. But I have teased women about their boyfriends taking pictures as an attempt at humor. Had no idea that it had happened.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Most players yap all kinds of nasty unflattering stuff on the ice and Burrows has a bit of a reputation but issues of race, religion or off ice personal issues are considered over the line. Hope he is fined and learns his lesson. Bonehead actions on his part.

They're going to retroactively fine him for comments made 8-10 years ago? Yeah no.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've never been one to hold up athletes or celebrities as idols, I respect the work that it takes to get and stay on top, but I'd never expect them to be people I'd want to be close personal friends with. That said, I've heard way worse over XBox Live over a game of Halo, worse in World of Tanks, and worse in League of Legends. I expect to get chirped hard in anything that's even the slightest bit competitive. This is something that anybody who's ever competed at anything will be able to attest to.

The bottom line is that competitive people can be very aggressive and act like *******s when they're in the middle of a match. Sometimes they cross the line and sometimes when they do that people get legitimately hurt. Right or wrong this is a fact. Yet due to my not holding these people up as idols, it doesn't change how I look at them.

I suggest that if you're invested enough in a team or its players for their actions to make you love or hate them, you ought to step back. You're only hurting yourself.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Burrows runs his mouth. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to what he said or didn't say.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
sorry has Sullivan pressed charges against his father? Looked for restitution? Physical mental or sexual abuse? Was this known at the time that Burrows made the remarks?

Lots of unanswered questions. Taunting about this sort of stuff is disgusting. But I have teased women about their boyfriends taking pictures as an attempt at humor. Had no idea that it had happened.

Around 2001. When he was 16.

What Burrows did was despicable, Sean Avery level.

This tarnishes the Canucks.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Players are so sensitive these days, grow some thick skin ffs. I'd let players call be anything if it meant making millions playing the game you love. Who cares.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Man, the timing of this is suspect... it wouldn't surprise me if a young and stupid Burrows got pissed off and said something... that a young and stupid person in the heat of the moment says...?

I would not be surprised if Burrows gives a quick public apology for this and we can move on.

The first incident was in the AHL in the 2004-05 season.

Burrows spent the prior season in the ECHL.

This was a young, desperate kid who thought he needed every edge just stick to the MINORS.

I would hazard to guess he was also an NHL fringe guy when they two met next time.

I think the incident probably happened exactly like O'Sullivan said and I don't doubt it like the Jordin Tootoo incident (Jordin being unwilling to say exactly what I was said). Again, this doesn't justify what Burrows said. He crossed a line in the past and definitely owes an apology. Just pointing out this is the actions of a young stupid person and not the action of 35 year old father of three.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The first incident was in the AHL in the 2004-05 season.

Burrows spent the prior season in the ECHL.

This was a young, desperate kid who thought he needed every edge just stick to the MINORS.

I would hazard to guess he was also an NHL fringe guy when they two met next time.

I think the incident probably happened exactly like O'Sullivan said and I don't doubt it like the Jordin Tootoo incident (Jordin being unwilling to say exactly what I was said). Again, this doesn't justify what Burrows said. He crossed a line in the past and definitely owes an apology. Just pointing out this is the actions of a young stupid person and not the action of 35 year old father of three.

I don't know why TooToo keeps being brought up seeing as the league investigated the incident and concluded that Burrows didn't do anything over the line.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I don't know why TooToo keeps being brought up seeing as the league investigated the incident and concluded that Burrows didn't do anything over the line.

Well, we're using the Tootoo thread for discussion.

Small thought: I wonder if the Tootoo incident was ALSO something Burrows said way back but Jordin re-framed as happening recently because Burrows got under his skin in NJ.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well, we're using the Tootoo thread for discussion.

Small thought: I wonder if the Tootoo incident was ALSO something Burrows said way back but Jordin re-framed as happening recently because Burrows got under his skin in NJ.

I think TooToo said it to get out of an auto suspension for leaving the bench to fight but YMMV

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm not condoning what Burrows said in the slightest but I'm sure plenty of players have used similar chirps towards other players that were beaten by their parents. It just didn't later come out that the actual abuse the targeted player suffered was much, much worse than your old typical child-beating and the player didn't tell everyone.

I know it might be hard for some people to think about this now but it was only a few decades ago that hitting a child was considered discipline, which is obviously wrong, but that was the times. I was lucky to be born right around the time this mentality shifted but some players around Burrows age definitely got whooped themselves.

This would definitely be before Burrows and my time but I remember my dad telling me how when he was younger the teachers had full reign to beat the hell out of any kid that stepped out of line. If you as a kid talked smack to an older neighbour they would give you a smack and no one would blink an eye. Nowadays you can get in a load of **** for spanking your own kid but 25-30 years ago things were a bit different.

What happened to O'Sullivan was obviously terrible but he is absolutely not the first or last NHLer to get beat by his parents and I doubt he was the first one to be targeted by trash talk that touched on it.

i am going to ignore everything else you said.

but re: the bolded, what happened to o'sullivan was an open secret. the fight that led to o'sullivan's dad finally getting arrested was reported in sports illustrated before the draft. it was reported on tsn during the draft that there was a restraining order out against his dad and his dad was there anyway. everybody knew the extent of this.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
OSullivan is selling a book not to say it didn't happen but he is selling a book and using Burrows and his abuse to sell it. O'Sullivan does not have a big enough name to sell a book so he uses bigger names to get press.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
We are talking about a game played by alpha males with an alleged history of rape culture and hazing in junior.

This is indefensible?

This era of political correctness is out of control. Can we all just agree this alleged comment was in poor taste and leave it at that? This is not the most insensitive thing that has ever been uttered to an NHL player. It doesn't warrant this level of outrage.

The timing does seem suspect. If this happened 10 years ago why is O'Sullivan only talking about it now while he's doing a book tour? He's been holding on to that issue with Burrows for that long?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why Canucks fans go to the mainboard for this kind of stuff is beyond me. The head-over-heels defending on Burrows is almost as disturbing as what he said. Burrows isn't the first player to cross the line like this, and won't be the last, but I'm not too happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad