Burrows to meet with the NHL over Tootoo incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Exactly this.

It bothers me that we cheer for a guy who says personal stuff like this and mocks someone. It's one thing to tell someone to go back to the AHL, or say you're a bench warmer and stuff like that. It's another to mock a sensitive topic from their personal life.

It isn't acceptable in any workplace, so why would it be acceptable in the NHL?

To be fair it's also not acceptable to beat the crap out of a coworker for pissing you off but it's fine in the NHL. The workplace codes of conduct don't really apply to the NHL.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
It's not acceptable to fight, slash people with sticks, crosscheck or chirp people in any other workplace either, a hockey rink isn't like every other workplace. If you can't take it, perhaps professional sports isn't the field of work you should be working in...plenty of other places to work that don't condone that type of behavior.

So chippy hockey plays and making light of child abuse are roughly equivalent, huh?

:help: :popcorn:

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Guys this is a safe space you can't call names here...

People are too emotional these days. When I played hockey in high school there was so much trash talking and violence, it was great. I even got into a shouting match with some kids parent that i leveled with an open ice hit. Good times.

Even in beer league it can be pretty bad, there have been a few times I thought I was going to get jumped in the parking lot lol

This is hockey not ****ing figuring skating.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Guys... Come on.

This isn't an issue of 'PC police', this is an issue of common human decency. Some of you are acting like, not only is this "not a big deal", but that it's "okay" or a "fine thing to say".

Do you really feel that way? Do you really feel it's incumbent on Patrick O'Sullivan to "not be so sensitive"?

If so... Man, I am really concerned about this generation's lack of empathy.
Out in the general public, at Christmas dinner, at a wedding, sure this would be awful and way across the line.

Two grown men playing a violent sport, people get pissed of. Players say lots of offensive things, worse than this 10 year old incident. Which is being blown out of proportion. Half this thread should quit being hockey fans if they're offended by things players say.

OMG player X said offensive thing Y, get him outta the league.... There'd be no league left.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

People are too emotional these days. When I played hockey in high school there was so much trash talking and violence, it was great. I even got into a shouting match with some kids parent that i leveled with an open ice hit. Good times.

Even in beer league it can be pretty bad, there have been a few times I thought I was going to get jumped in the parking lot lol

My son is in hockey, my daughter is in figure skating.

Figure skating is tougher. What are you saying?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

:facepalm:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Burrows is a chirper. He chirps every single game in every single scrum.

You talk that much smack, you're bound to cross the line a few times.
The O'Sullivan chirps from a decade ago...
'Say Hi to Kelly' from 5-6 yrs ago..
Tootoo getting sensitive about an unknown comment this yr...

His track record actually looks pretty good considering the sample size, heh heh...

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
So chippy hockey plays and making light of child abuse are roughly equivalent, huh?

:help: :popcorn:

Child abuse history = point of personal pain
Sprained ankle = point of personal pain

Is it wrong to slash a player you know has a weak ankle? Yes
Is it wrong to make light of a players history of child abuse? Yes

Anyone who does either isn't someone I would probably be friends with, but neither situation are grounds for termination of contract, or some other demands that a few keyboard warriors are wanting. Have any of you played beer league hockey before? Some pretty shady stuff is said on that ice, I can only imagine what players would do/say with millions of dollars on the line to try and get an edge on their opponent.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Physically and sexually abusing children is so far crossed the line that making fun of these things just isn't cool in any workplace.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Physically and sexually abusing children is so far crossed the line that making fun of these things just isn't cool in any workplace.

I'm not sure anyone is saying "its cool", just saying "lighten up Francis" this **** is part and parcel with playing professional sports....being "classy" isn't a prerequisite for being a hockey player.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure anyone is saying "its cool", just saying "lighten up Francis" this **** is part and parcel with playing professional sports....being "classy" isn't a prerequisite for being a hockey player.

I'm not sure playing a professional sport and making light of physical abuse against children go hand in hand. Why do you think those things do?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Damn Burrows, I thought the Tootoo thing was a joke and overblown but this one is hard to defend. I don't remember POS being much of a chippy player either so I doubt he did/said anything to truly anger Burrows.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
In the NHL, the agitator is paid way more than the quiet grinder for largely performing the same role. Burrows has earned himself a million dollars for every time he has hurt the feelings of a Patrick O'Sullivan or a Jordin Tootoo.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm not sure playing a professional sport and making light of physical abuse against children go hand in hand. Why do you think those things do?

Not "children", Patrick O'Sullivan...Burrows alleged comments weren't made about abused children in general, they were made against an adult who had been abused as a child. Was it tasteless? Of course, but I personally don't care what he says about Patrick O'Sullivan or any other player who plays/played in the league...I'm a big believer in "sticks and stones", if Patrick O'Sullivan had a problem with whatever Burrows said, take it up with Burrows on the ice (or off the ice)...don't whine about it on social media a decade later.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Tell that to Nancy Kerrigan :sarcasm:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not condoning what Burrows said in the slightest but I'm sure plenty of players have used similar chirps towards other players that were beaten by their parents. It just didn't later come out that the actual abuse the targeted player suffered was much, much worse than your old typical child-beating and the player didn't tell everyone.

I know it might be hard for some people to think about this now but it was only a few decades ago that hitting a child was considered discipline, which is obviously wrong, but that was the times. I was lucky to be born right around the time this mentality shifted but some players around Burrows age definitely got whooped themselves.

This would definitely be before Burrows and my time but I remember my dad telling me how when he was younger the teachers had full reign to beat the hell out of any kid that stepped out of line. If you as a kid talked smack to an older neighbour they would give you a smack and no one would blink an eye. Nowadays you can get in a load of **** for spanking your own kid but 25-30 years ago things were a bit different.

What happened to O'Sullivan was obviously terrible but he is absolutely not the first or last NHLer to get beat by his parents and I doubt he was the first one to be targeted by trash talk that touched on it.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not condoning what Burrows said in the slightest but I'm sure plenty of players have used similar chirps towards other players that were beaten by their parents. It just didn't later come out that the actual abuse the targeted player suffered was much, much worse than your old typical child-beating and the player didn't tell everyone.

I know it might be hard for some people to think about this now but it was only a few decades ago that hitting a child was considered discipline, which is obviously wrong, but that was the times. I was lucky to be born right around the time this mentality shifted but some players around Burrows age definitely got whooped themselves.

This would definitely be before Burrows and my time but I remember my dad telling me how when he was younger the teachers had full reign to beat the hell out of any kid that stepped out of line. If you as a kid talked smack to an older neighbour they would give you a smack and no one would blink an eye. Nowadays you can get in a load of **** for spanking your own kid but 25-30 years ago things were a bit different.

What happened to O'Sullivan was obviously terrible but he is absolutely not the first or last NHLer to get beat by his parents and I doubt he was the first one to be targeted by trash talk that touched on it.
Wow you've managed to condone Burrows comments and beating children. I'm pretty sure beating your kid like OSullivan was has been illegal for decades.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Most players yap all kinds of nasty unflattering stuff on the ice and Burrows has a bit of a reputation but issues of race, religion or off ice personal issues are considered over the line. Hope he is fined and learns his lesson. Bonehead actions on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad