Proposal: Buffalo Sabres - Anaheim Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sabres fans, i have not a good idea of your needs so i want your comments.

Would something around Despres for Girgensons be of your consideration?

You know better than me but for me there seem to be some logjam for you guys at forward (and Girgensons is still unsigned). Even without Vessey you have some nice top 6 forwards and Girgensons might (??) have a quite small playing time?

Despres, albeit had a **** luck last season, is a great #4 defenseman. Tough as nails and although a leftie, can very well suit up on the right side, like he did in the 2015 playoffs where we had that nice run. Ducks have logjam on D and someone have to go.

From Ducks POV this trade would make a lot of sense, but would it from your side? Yes or no, please give some comments

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We're not really interested in a second pairing defenseman after getting Kulikov. Either we can get someone top-pairing capable or we stay put imo.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We're not really interested in a second pairing defenseman after getting Kulikov. Either we can get someone top-pairing capable or we stay put imo.

Sounds reasonable.

You guys have quite good depth at F though, will be interesting how it plays out. Possibly you will be keeping everyone and Bylsma manages ice time accordingly i guess.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
All this does is make a new hole to fill one. What is the point of this for buffalo? Yeah, they get a top pairing LHD, but then they need a top pairing RHD. This trade doesn't make them better it just moves the problem to the other side.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
All this does is make a new hole to fill one. What is the point of this for buffalo? Yeah, they get a top pairing LHD, but then they need a top pairing RHD. This trade doesn't make them better it just moves the problem to the other side.

Lindholm is better than Ristolainen

Rakell is better than Girgensons.

Sabres fans saying they wouldn't make this deal (even in theory) need to take their fan glasses off.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Lindholm is better than Ristolainen

Rakell is better than Girgensons.

Sabres fans saying they wouldn't make this deal (even in theory) need to take their fan glasses off.

Lindholm/Ristolainen could be argued either way. Sure Lindholm had some really nice analytics numbers, and Ristolainen's were rough. But Lindholm was playing on a top team in the west while Ristolainen got to carry around the body bag once known as Josh Gorges. Also, Ristolainen did put up 40 points. Not saying they're the be all end all, but 40pts as a 20yr old 6'4" defenseman who plays with a chip on his shoulder, is nothing to sneeze at. Also, not to mention the fact that righties are typically more coveted by GM's.

Rakell, yes he's more valuable than Girgensons. But this will be a telling season for Girgensons as last year was for Rakell.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Hockey Future's Ratings are irrelevant now that they're all established in the NHL.

Both Ducks are better and Anaheim probably wouldn't even do this trade if Buffalo added a 1st rounder 2017.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Typical ducks fan take over thread...our player is better the end. I'd argue risto and Lindholm are as even ad it gets. Risto will always have the better offensive game and will be tougher to play against physically. Lindholm is better and likely will be better defensively. Rakell will always put up more points that girgensons but girgensons will always have those coveted defensive/checking intangibles over rakell...the way this has been blown out of proportion is nuts. I'd not be as crazy as to say the sabres players are better but I'd wager this is closer to even than so many people make this out to be.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Typical ducks fan take over thread...our player is better the end. I'd argue risto and Lindholm are as even ad it gets. Risto will always have the better offensive game and will be tougher to play against physically. Lindholm is better and likely will be better defensively. Rakell will always put up more points that girgensons but girgensons will always have those coveted defensive/checking intangibles over rakell...the way this has been blown out of proportion is nuts. I'd not be as crazy as to say the sabres players are better but I'd wager this is closer to even than so many people make this out to be.

You seem to get upset that duck's fan's are acting like Homer's, then proceed to post as a sabres Homer. I think there is saying for this, something about a pot and a kettle...

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Typical ducks fan take over thread...our player is better the end.
Comments in this thread from non-Ducks fans (including a couple Sabres fans) backing the Ducks players:

Lindholm>Risto
Rakell>Girgs

IMO

Easy no for Ducks I'd imagine

ya, I like it from Buffalo's side for sure, they'd win the deal. But, either way, that is a whole lot of talent in that deal. I know Gerg's value is down, but he's still an interesting talent. Never gonna happen.

Anaheim gives up the 2 better players, really makes no sense for them.

So Anaheim is gonna get a downgrade at D and at F?

Buffalo needs to add significantly

Agree with the Anaheim fans here. This doesn't work. And it does nothing to solve anaheims cap issue to boot.

Sabres fan who'd do this in a heartbeat

Both Ducks players are better than the respective Sabres players in this OP.

I'm a Sabres fan,

Anaheim loses big time here.

List of non-Sabres fans (even somewhat) backing Ristoalinen: rayzor (OP who thinks that HF prospect grades are a neat basis)

So, yeah - not much of a Ducks fans takeover. The neutral states are firmly calling it for the Ducks players, which isn't overly shocking.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Comments in this thread from non-Ducks fans (including a couple Sabres fans) backing the Ducks players:

List of non-Sabres fans (even somewhat) backing Ristoalinen: rayzor (OP who thinks that HF prospect grades are a neat basis)

So, yeah - not much of a Ducks fans takeover. The neutral states are firmly calling it for the Ducks players, which isn't overly shocking.

And Rayzor would be a Sabres fan at that.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
You seem to get upset that duck's fan's are acting like Homer's, then proceed to post as a sabres Homer. I think there is saying for this, something about a pot and a kettle...

Yeah nothing says Homer like claiming u think the value is neutral and if not slanted only slightly in the ducks favor...got me red handed.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah nothing says Homer like claiming u think the value is neutral and if not slanted only slightly in the ducks favor...got me red handed.

Let`s trade Stoner for Eichel because the value is neutral.

What, you say it`s NOT? How dare you!!!

PS
There is mostly always some homerism included but really other fanbases seem to agree with what the Ducks fans are saying right now. I don`t think anyone`s point was that Sabres players are bad.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I know, right? What are the Anaheim fans thinking, coming to a thread that involves Anaheim players. They really need to get a hold of themselves. It's not always about them.

Except when it is. Like now. Get back to me when we're stalking every Buffalo thread involving one or two players, when it has nothing to do with Anaheim at all.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Risto is bigger, stronger, nastier, younger, better skating, puts up more points, plays a bigger role. But Lindholm is better AINEC. HFBoards at it's finest. :laugh:

mytduxfan*

Risto is bigger, stronger, nastier, younger, better skating, puts up more points, plays a bigger role. But Lindholm is better AINEC. HFBoards at it's finest. :laugh:

It's possible for Risto to be all those things and still not be better then Lindholm. Being big, strong, nasty, young, a good skater and solid points produce =/= good D-man. Lindholm excels in a number of areas that Risto doesn't, like on defense.

P.S. One season of Risto beating Lindholm in points production =/= Risto is better then Lindholm at putting up points. Lindholm beat Risto the previous year and has a higher PPG.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
P.S. One season of Risto beating Lindholm in points production =/= Risto is better then Lindholm at putting up points. Lindholm beat Risto the previous year and has a higher PPG.

Wait, are you arguing that Lindholm out producing Ristolainen in Ristolainen's rookie year, one in which the Sabres best offensive threat was Tyler Ennis (by a lot) is evidence that Lindholm is a superior offensive player? Like, really???

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
There's no way the Ducks will make this trade, because there's bigger difference between Rakell and Girgensons, then there's between Lindholm and Ristolainen.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wait, are you arguing that Lindholm out producing Ristolainen in Ristolainen's rookie year, one in which the Sabres best offensive threat was Tyler Ennis (by a lot) is evidence that Lindholm is a superior offensive player? Like, really???

Ducks had 1 of the lowest shooting percentages as a team with lindholm on the ice last season.... his point production was hindered because of it.

And no one is saying Ristolainen isn't good or anything he's just not as polished as lindholm yet... Ristolainen has the higher offensive upside and I think Lindholm will end up the better 2 way dmen

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

No.

As usual you have got it wrong.

IF Risto hits his ceiling then there is a good argument to put forward here. But he is a long way from being the finished article IMO despite all the tools / potential.

Lindholm is a different player as others have alluded to.... ironically he is exactly what the Sabres need IMO. He is less than a year older than Risto yet has already proven himself to be legit. Risto has huge potential but is not quite there yet.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

mytduxfan*

Someone clearly doesn't understand the concept of PPG.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lindholm/Ristolainen could be argued either way. Sure Lindholm had some really nice analytics numbers, and Ristolainen's were rough. But Lindholm was playing on a top team in the west while Ristolainen got to carry around the body bag once known as Josh Gorges. Also, Ristolainen did put up 40 points. Not saying they're the be all end all, but 40pts as a 20yr old 6'4" defenseman who plays with a chip on his shoulder, is nothing to sneeze at. Also, not to mention the fact that righties are typically more coveted by GM's.

Rakell, yes he's more valuable than Girgensons. But this will be a telling season for Girgensons as last year was for Rakell.

So sick of this argument. For half the year, Anaheim was a very not so good team. Lindholm was not playing his best hockey. But then the team had a turnaround and so did he. I don't want to imply that the turnaround was purely because of Hampus but he was a HUGE part of why Anaheim's defense was so elite last season. He didn't benefit from slotting into a good defense and being a long for the ride. He was one of the keys to its success.

I sympathize with Risto because I am a fan of his. He actually is one of my favorite non Duck young defensemen. And getting paired with ****** partners is rough (see: Fowler, Cam). It is certainly true that his advanced stats must be read in context but then so should Lindholm's. The very fact that he had such a measurable impact on the entire roster while playing with a guy who is certainly solid (Manson), his partner isn't exactly the most consistent defender just yet and it should speak to Lindholm's ability. I'm a big fan of Manson and I will still think he's got more potential to get better but he's still a bit unpolished and his positioning is still a bit inconsistent. In my mind there's no question that Lindholm elevated his play.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
lol @ people trying to paint Lindholm and Risto as near equals. No way, there is no credible argument to do so.

I don't even need to get into Rakell/Girgensons, Rakell is just a more naturally gifted player

Oct 18, 2011
I call BS on the whole Lindholm is better than Risto. He had the benefit of playing on a team with a good top four, a good partner and on a good team. Ristolainen was "the"defenceman for Buffalo, had a **** partner on a team that's rebuilding. Of course Lindholm looked better, but that doesn't mean he's actually that much better or better at all

Lindholms partners were Kevin Bieksa(trash) and Josh Manson(a rookie)

every single player on the ducks had higher possession numbers when they shared the ice with Lindholm

If you want to make this about point production, Lindholm was extremely unlucky as the ducks spent much of the year unable to score. should the team wide shooting % normalize there will be a sizeable increase in production, also Risto averaged nearly a minute more of PP time per game.

When you then focus on the defensive end, Lindholm is just significantly better and dictates the play far better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad