Proposal: Buffalo-Calgary

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Backlund? Why him?

The 2 guys on Calgary I'm most interested in would be Mangiapane and Coleman. And personally I'd be willing to pay nicely for one....or both

This is interesting to me, do you view mangiapane and Coleman as better than Backlund or are you just interested in wingers and think Backlund costs to much?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Backlund? Why him?

The 2 guys on Calgary I'm most interested in would be Mangiapane and Coleman. And personally I'd be willing to pay nicely for one....or both
Any of the 3 would be good adds. Mangiapane would pretty much be free at full cap right now. I think we should wait on him for the TDL where we'd get a 2nd. Coleman would be pricey and I'm not sure he'd waive. Backlund I don't think would waive and he likely isn't available.

Any of them could help form a shutdown line in Buffalo. I'm agreed with you that this is the Sabres biggest need.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is interesting to me, do you view mangiapane and Coleman as better than Backlund or are you just interested in wingers and think Backlund costs to much?
Backlund is the captain with 2 years left and I highly, highly doubt he'd waive for Buffalo. He'd make for a great veteran 3C for us, but I just don't see him wanting to move......or Calgary wanting to move him.

Mangiapane and Coleman are just a better fit for what we need and are more likely to waive to come to Buffalo.......and I think Calgary would be more likely to move one of them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Just do mangi at 50% for a 2nd and call it a day
I'd do that deal. We might get a touch more at the TDL, but I think there's more value in that development spot beside Backlund and Coleman than their would be in getting an additional 4th or 5th round pick.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Backlund would be dynamite for a team looking to contend right now. Is Buffalo there yet? If not, they could just be wasting assets, as Backlund is not getting any younger. Coleman may be the better add, as he likely has a few more years in the tank.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think there’s a lot of possibility for a deal here.

As a Sabres fan I’d personally be interested in any of…
Kadri
Backlund
Coleman
Mangiapanne
Weegar

- I believe Backlund would be the one for sure to block a trade to Buffalo.

-Kadri Weegar & Mangiapanne are from Ontario which makes me think they’d be open to a deal closer to home.

-Coleman might be interested in Buffalo as well to be back in the US.

As fir Calgary I believe there’s plenty on Buffalo they’d be interested in.

Jokhiharju
Krebs
Samuelsson
Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
#11OA

Those are all pieces I believe each team would be willing to move for the right price and both have what the other is looking for.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Rosen and a 3rd for Mangiapane?
I’d do that, with a conditional pick to a 2nd rounder if Buffalo makes the playoffs. Easy peasy.

IIRC Mangiapane was a Sabres fan? Could be wrong.

I’d personally rather go for 11th overall but Mangiapane doesn’t get that alone. Are there any “cap dumps” past Skinner? Maybe Clifton so you can go after Pesce? Or even Marino if Jersey picks him up?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Kadri
Backlund
Coleman
Mangiapanne
Weegar

-Kadri Weegar & Mangiapanne are from Ontario which makes me think they’d be open to a deal closer to home.

Jokhiharju
Krebs
Samuelsson
Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
#11OA

Those are all pieces I believe each team would be willing to move for the right price and both have what the other is looking for.
Kadri to Buffalo would actually be a good fit I think. Buffalo fans don't see his value mostly, but he'd give them high end 2C offense and a low end shutdown center. He's not Thompson offensively and he's not Backlund defensively, but he's a nice blend of both. He's older, but he's had 2 of the 3 best seasons of his career in the past 3 years. He also plays with bite. A lot of the things Buffalo needs in one player.

I'd do Mangiapane or Kadri for Byram.
So would I. I don't think Buffalo even considers that. I think you're talking a 2nd and 4th for Mangiapane at 50% or a 3rd for him at full hit. Kadri I think you're talking Krebs and Jokiharju. If you want a high end young piece you have to give one up.

Reactions: Deen

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Kadri
Backlund
Coleman
Mangiapanne
Weegar

Jokhiharju
Krebs
Samuelsson
Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
#11OA

Calgary is not going full re-build so will not trade all of their veteran leadership.

Of that list I can see Mangiapane being traded. Probably at the TDL.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
If this is the level we are lowering ourselves to to add toughness to the top 6 then id rather just overpay for TK...at least you know what you're getting.

Sounds like a winning approach... Instead of overpaying for a sure thing we settle...

Thats buffalo sabres hockey for ya
I'm curious, what you would consider as an overpay for Brady or Crouse that would pry them loose that you would be willing to pay. I have my doubts that you'd be willing to pay enough.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I’m sure you would. I’d take either of those guys for Skinner, but completely unrealistic trade proposals don’t really help advance the discussion.
We'd take Skinner for Huberdeau. Same kind of concept. Mangiapane and Kadri are worth an actual return. Skinner is a pretty bad cap dump. Huberdeau is a generational cap dump.

A realistic trade for Kadri would be something along the line of Krebs and Jokiharju.

Mangiapane will bring us a 2nd plus at the TDL.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'm curious, what you would consider as an overpay for Brady or Crouse that would pry them loose that you would be willing to pay. I have my doubts that you'd be willing to pay enough.

A couple of months ago I said I’d do Peterka + a small add for Crouse.

But if the rumours are true that the Sabres are buying out Skinner, then it wouldn’t make sense to do that trade now, as the Sabres would be moving out 52 goals in one summer.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I’m sure you would. I’d take either of those guys for Skinner, but completely unrealistic trade proposals don’t really help advance the discussion.

Kadri scored 75 points last year on an awful team. Maybe Calgary adds a bit, but it's not lunacy. Cap is not great though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad