Prospect Info: Yegor Surin - C | 22nd Overall (1st round) | 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Let's bring this discussion about Surin over to this thread.

I know this pick divided some of the fan base, as some feel this is a fine pick while others don't really like it.

For me, it's not so much about the player but the fact that this organization's history with Russians is - for some reason - awful. I remember getting very excited about Kamenev who was supposed to grow into our 2C behind Johansen. Afanasyev was supposed to be another legit top-six threat.

One factor that eases the blow for me is that I don't think there were much better options available, tbh. Connelly and Eiserman were gone. Beaudoin won't be much more than bottom-six center himself. I would've liked Solberg as I believe we could really use a guy like him in the future.

Anyway, here's some links to read up on Surin. He sounds like a bottom-6 energy player with physicality and some offensive upside. Kind of reminds me of Trenin except with a higher motor.

Yegor Surin - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

Yegor Surin, the troublemaker of the 2024 NHL draft

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/latest-news/2024-draft-profile-yegor-surin

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
I must admit I can't support that comparison as Trenin always had notable skating issues and in general was a skilled passer with a great frame, but nothing fancy, yet with a hard work he got to the NHL. Surin, on the other hand, has that fancy skillset and the corresponding ceiling, but not always has the motivation to deliver that consistent hard work, which is why the pick is risky.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I must admit I can't support that comparison as Trenin always had notable skating issues and in general was a skilled passer with a great frame, but nothing fancy, yet with a hard work he got to the NHL. Surin, on the other hand, has that fancy skillset and the corresponding ceiling, but not always has the motivation to deliver that consistent hard work, which is why the pick is risky.
Thanks for this.

What's your overall opinion of Surin? Was 22 the right spot to take him?

Reactions: Caser

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Thanks for this.

What's your overall opinion of Surin? Was 22 the right spot to take him?
I personally viewed him as of a more of a second round guy, but it actually depends on a draft strategy. I mean, if the team is looking for the upside as the top priority then Surin surely got it, so it could make sense to get him there.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Young player with a lot of upside from what I understand which I like the sound of. Also sounds like he’s really more of a wing which is a bit of a bummer but I also don’t necessarily drink you should draft based on position in the 1st round.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I won’t say much about our pick because he does seem like the high energy guy that trotz likes and his ceiling is more than likely a 3rd line guy. Now what I have a problem with is that one of the best goal scorer in this draft was sliding and you didn’t take one of those 2nds you had and try to move up. I would have overpaid to get Eiserman and trotz should have too. For a team that’s constantly looking for scoring help to not go after him is terrible. I’m beginning to think that this organization can’t draft and develop a 1st line talent guy to save its life. Eiserman will be a solid top 6 guy watch. Trotz talks a big game but he doesn’t back it up. You had the draft capital to move up and get him multiple times with how much he slid but decided to go with your type of guy that will most likely keep us where we will always be the “mushy middle”
It seems clear that the Preds definitely had Surin ahead of Eiserman on their own list. So he WAS trying to take one of those 2nds and move up... ironically just to be sure to get Surin, though! They may have had Surin ranked around #15 on their own list, and ahead of ALL the forwards who went just before our pick (incl. Eiserman, Connelly, Parascak)!

I guess we'll see if some of these "faller" type of picks that stick out in fans minds pan out better than the "character" guys we went after instead. I remember last year with Heidt in the 2nd round, or previous years you had some prominent guys falling like Brad Lambert or Aatu Raty etc, relative to early draft prognostications, so we'll see how Eiserman fares relative to those historical footnotes. He has been a good junior scorer, but the Preds aren't the only team who had reservations about him apparently, since he dropped to #20.

Surin sounds like quite the character. If the team has guys like him, L'Heureux, maybe one day Kalan Lind, and Askarov in net... I hope we develop some kind of genius PK strategy! :D

After reading and watching, Surin profiles like the Russian L'Heureux.
Interesting how he listed Barbashev as a favorite. (Along with Tkachuk). I could definitely see him becoming a player like that. Barbashev was somewhat renowned for his energetic play in his draft year, and he also maybe didn't have the vision to stick at center all the time, which I guess is the knock on Surin's chances of staying as a center. Barbashev sounds like he might be a good comparable for the kind of player Surin may become.

Good english and sounds like somebody who really follows the game, which for a 17-year old is impressive.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
From my preferred draft guide...

surinprofile.png

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
How can you read that report and not be excited. Also this is nothing like a Poile pick. He valued stability and defensive awareness.
Well they still have time to beat the defense into him, as much as people want it to be this organization people wise didn't change that much.

We will see where he is in 4-5 years, Trotz won't let him sniff NHL ice before then anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well they still have time to beat the defense into him, as much as people want it to be this organization people wise didn't change that much.

We will see where he is in 4-5 years, Trotz won't let him sniff NHL ice before then anyways.
I'm hoping they DON'T beat the defense into him. Let him stay in the KHL as long as it takes and then walk straight onto our roster. They last thing I want is them trying to make him into a responsible and disciplined two-way winger. :S

Reactions: hockey diva

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
From my preferred draft guide...

surinprofile.png
Some of his defenisve deficiencies makes him a risk to draft here - Brunette doesnt like them in a player.

But if he can hammer some if that out then this sounds like it could a pretty good pick.

He had a ton of penalty minutes this year - 108 in 42 games. He will fit in nicely with L'Heureux and Lauzon. If nothing else, we are getting a nice collection of pricks to play against.

Reactions: PredsV82

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Let's bring this discussion about Surin over to this thread.

I know this pick divided some of the fan base, as some feel this is a fine pick while others don't really like it.

For me, it's not so much about the player but the fact that this organization's history with Russians is - for some reason - awful. I remember getting very excited about Kamenev who was supposed to grow into our 2C behind Johansen. Afanasyev was supposed to be another legit top-six threat.

One factor that eases the blow for me is that I don't think there were much better options available, tbh. Connelly and Eiserman were gone. Beaudoin won't be much more than bottom-six center himself. I would've liked Solberg as I believe we could really use a guy like him in the future.

Anyway, here's some links to read up on Surin. He sounds like a bottom-6 energy player with physicality and some offensive upside. Kind of reminds me of Trenin except with a higher motor.

Yegor Surin - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

Yegor Surin, the troublemaker of the 2024 NHL draft

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/latest-news/2024-draft-profile-yegor-surin

I was excited abt Kamanev too and it sucks he busted, curiously he is very similar to Svechkov lol

however i think Afanasyev went way too early and none of his stats ever indicated he’d amount to anything in the nhl :

He was barely over a ppg in the ushl in his draft year .

Then he was barely over a ppg in his one year in the OHL - in his D+1 year he produced at an equivalent rate to a late 1st round or 2nd round pick in a draft year.

Outside of his size, there was no basis for us to expect him to become anything more than a NHL/AHL tweener

Some of his defenisve deficiencies makes him a risk to draft here - Brunette doesnt like them in a player.

But if he can hammer some if that out then this sounds like it could a pretty good pick.

He had a ton of penalty minutes this year - 108 in 42 games. He will fit in nicely with L'Heureux and Lauzon. If nothing else, we are getting a nice collection of pricks to play against.
all the other reports have conveyed he is a strong 2 way player - or at least has a willingness to play a 2 way game

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I was excited abt Kamanev too and it sucks he busted, curiously he is very similar to Svechkov lol

however i think Afanasyev went way too early and none of his stats ever indicated he’d amount to anything in the nhl :

He was barely over a ppg in the ushl in his draft year .

Then he was barely over a ppg in his one year in the OHL - in his D+1 year he produced at an equivalent rate to a late 1st round or 2nd round pick in a draft year.

Outside of his size, there was no basis for us to expect him to become anything more than a NHL/AHL tweener

all the other reports have conveyed he is a strong 2 way player - or at least has a willingness to play a 2 way game
Sounds like sometimes he gets out of position but has the motor and ethic to get back into the play.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Burnette needs to coach the roster he has, not the one he wants! This irritates me so much. Poile spent assests to remake the roster to fit the coaches instead of telling the coach to coach the roster he assembled.

Reactions: Enoch

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah. It sounds like he hasn't put everything together. He is also a very young prospect with talent. Let's see what we get. If two teams wanted to move up to get him, including the Avs, this is a good sign that multiple scouts see a pathway here.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I'm hoping they DON'T beat the defense into him. Let him stay in the KHL as long as it takes and then walk straight onto our roster. They last thing I want is them trying to make him into a responsible and disciplined two-way winger. :S
Well, if they do that, he'll just be waiver wire material. :sarcasm:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
More dominant in comparison to his teammates than Demidov in MHL playoffs but also a more finished product. Personally had him #15.

His physicality is exaggerated IMO, he can lay big hits but more than that, he went very hard in puck pursuits and almost always came out with the puck. Small area playmaker and finisher, not a sniper really. Suits his style and Nashville's obviously. Really good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad