Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
4th line wingers: supply typically outpaces demand.

1st line wingers: demand exceeds supply.

You can get a 4th line winger, a good one even, to come here. You may have to pay slightly above market rate for him (in salary, not acquisition cost).

There is zero reason to pay a 2nd round price for one. Ever.
Given our prospect depth I'd much rather over pay in draft capital than salary capital for a player like this.

Plus I hope we get more similar players this offseason

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I dont get the value argument nonsense. Would anyone really be crying about value if the Sabres traded Pick 11 for Pick 14 and Malenstyn?

This draft was incredibly weak. A 2nd round pick, as we seen by moving three spots in the middle of first, was useless.

We need 2 more Malenstyn's on this team.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Washington’s “4th line” was usually 2nd or 3rd in ice time for them. I’m almost certain 90% of the people lambasting this trade will change their tune once they see Beck play.

I hope Malenstyn actually is what the scouting staff thinks he is, which would give Lindy a guy to play the role Miles Wood did for him in Jersey, 10/15/25, PK, speed, hard forecheck and sand.

TBH I had thought they'd maybe try to pry Nic Dowd who ticks a few more boxes as a faceoff-taking right-shot 4C but listening to KA and Forton it sounds like they wanted someone more in line with the age group of the core. Dowd is 34 and could be a deadline type of add - if they ever get to that position to be buyers.

The counter to the trade is valid, though. Guys to play the role of a Miles Wood can be had in FA, where you can get, for instance, Miles Wood for 6/$15m like Colorado paid, provided the guy will sign with you.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Blowing up cycles. Our 4th line didn't do this enough and let the ice get tilted against us, which carried into other lines' shifts.
Imagine the sound of this hit echoing around KBC on a snowy Wednesday night with the 11,000 in attendance silently playing on their phones
Big hit leads to Aube-Kubel solo goal
Yes please
He seems to read plays well to break behind the D then uses his speed

Last edited:

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I dont get the value argument nonsense. Would anyone really be crying about value if the Sabres traded Pick 11 for Pick 14 and Malenstyn?

This draft was incredibly weak. A 2nd round pick, as we seen by moving three spots in the middle of first, was useless.

We need 2 more Malenstyn's on this team.

I agree. The Sabres pretty much traded back 3 spots for getting Malenstyn. There is a good chance that they draft Helenius at 11 anyway. Picking up a 26 year old established bottom 6 player for pretty much nothing is a nice piece of business as far as I’m concerned.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Everyone of my friends of different teams that watch and I know, know the game said he was noticeable in almost every game. Like “who the f is this guy?” I mean if he’s a 4th liner jumping out of the screen to people that’s a good sign.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
The more I learn about Malenstyn and the more I think about the trade and the Sabres' needs, the more I like this move. It definitely caught me off guard though -- but that was mostly due to my ignorance about the player.
[Insert Shaq meme]
This trade makes more sense after the signings of Lafferty and NAK. It’s a legit NHL 4th line.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Did a little more digging into him, since like many I didn't know much about him prior to the trade.

12th in hits last season
4th in shorthanded TOI/game among forwards
2nd in blocked shots among forwards

Something tells me this guy could become a fan favorite pretty quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad