Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I still can’t really believe it it. Deep down I thought this was a one year thing and Betts was going to be a Red Sox legend for life.

So bizarre for me to imagine him playing the rest of his career somewhere else after what he did in Boston.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I still can’t really believe it it. Deep down I thought this was a one year thing and Betts was going to be a Red Sox legend for life.

So bizarre for me to imagine him playing the rest of his career somewhere else after what he did in Boston.

Mookie, Ortiz and Brady all had shitty ends to their careers here.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Mookie, Ortiz and Brady all had shitty ends to their careers here.

I’m an NY sports fan so I didn’t like the other two much but I loved Mookie. Saw him live 5 times during his career as a Red Sox player and there was no one more entertaining to watch. It was impossible not to like him.

NY sports radio is jumping for joy but both NY teams will still need to go through him to win the World Series I’m guessing.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I’m an NY sports fan so I didn’t like the other two much but I loved Mookie. Saw him live 5 times during his career as a Red Sox player and there was no one more entertaining to watch. It was impossible not to like him.

NY sports radio is jumping for joy but both NY teams will still need to go through him to win the World Series I’m guessing.

I get Brady but I’m surprised you’d like Mookie and not Ortiz

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I meant the way the seasons ended not how they performed individually
Ah, true.

Cleveland was a really good team in 2016 and all things considered deserved to win the series, but the way we got swept kind of sucked. IIRC game 1 was one we should've won but Porcello inexplicably gave up a few dongs to the 9 hitter catcher. Game 2 was over before it started because of Price, and game 3 was in reach but we couldn't get the big hit. We should've pushed the series to at least 4, maybe 5.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Ah, true.

Cleveland was a really good team in 2016 and all things considered deserved to win the series, but the way we got swept kind of sucked. IIRC game 1 was one we should've won but Porcello inexplicably gave up a few dongs to the 9 hitter catcher. Game 2 was over before it started because of Price, and game 3 was in reach but we couldn't get the big hit. We should've pushed the series to at least 4, maybe 5.
They shouldn’t have gone as overboard as they did with the Ortiz celebrations. Ortiz and I think some other members of the team admitted they where tired when the Cleveland series started.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
in fairness Sale was before Mookie/Price got dealt- the contract was pretty unnecessary at the time though in hindsight, that’s for sure

true, and agree. It’s the rationale for that signing in light of (a) Sale’s health and (b) the next steps that confound me.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Ah, true.

Ya it was a shitty way for them all to go. Ortiz in a sweep, Mookie in a meaningless regular season game and Brady at home on wild card weekend

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Love Mookie...but I get not offering him that contract.

Just don't pull the same crap they did with Lester. Don't say you don't sign older pitchers to long term deals, let him walk, and then a year later bring in freaking Price.

Be consistent.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Just more bad asset management from the Sox.

the best move long term would have been swallow the tax money in this season. See where you’re at on deadline day, if you’re deadset in saving the money, Price would have value to a contending team on his own and if you’re in the race, Mookie could be dealt in the same way Manny was. Add a lesser veteran player under control for a few years with a prospect or 2 attached. If you’re out of it, you get at least the same package out of LA.

It’s not the end of the world but if Verdugo flops this could go down as one of the worst trades ever.

a lot of people want to point to the Sale signing..... I still have no issue with it. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball. That’s a risk you take. Eovaldi, Pearce, Nunez on the other hand...

Reactions: Merrrlin and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just more bad asset management from the Sox.

the best move long term would have been swallow the tax money in this season. See where you’re at on deadline day, if you’re deadset in saving the money, Price would have value to a contending team on his own and if you’re in the race, Mookie could be dealt in the same way Manny was. Add a lesser veteran player under control for a few years with a prospect or 2 attached. If you’re out of it, you get at least the same package out of LA.

It’s not the end of the world but if Verdugo flops this could go down as one of the worst trades ever.

a lot of people want to point to the Sale signing..... I still have no issue with it. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball. That’s a risk you take. Eovaldi, Pearce, Nunez on the other hand...

Don't forget that up until this season, they were paying that fat sack of shit Panda nearly 20 mill per to not play for them. Which is nice. But hey, they HAD to move Betts. HAD TO. lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
don’t get me started on Pablo Sandoval

has he opted out of the season yet? I imagine he’s at-risk with the type 2 diabetes and everything

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Love Mookie...but I get not offering him that contract.

Just don't pull the same crap they did with Lester. Don't say you don't sign older pitchers to long term deals, let him walk, and then a year later bring in freaking Price.

Be consistent.

Mookie would be a player I'd be happy to pay. They may go out now and sign someone else for big $$$ and save a little bit on the Betts contract since he set the market now but the production won't come near what Betts could provide, so in the end they are wasting money. It's also not an easy task to play in a high pressure environment like Boston and perform. Betts proved he could do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merrrlin and LSCII

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Any chance of the franchise being sold? John Henry & Tom Werner are getting older.

I am shocked they have not unloaded NESN as both Comcast and Sinclair have offered megabucks. I sense now that King John wants the Queen to keep the power

Liverpool winning the Premier League this year offsets any losses in Boston in 2020.

Mookie winds up with $65 million more over 12 years than Boston offered ( $5.5 million a year )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad