Buffalo Bills: 9-7, Marrone opts-out of contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm thrilled that a Buffalo team is casting a wide net of talent instead of just grabbing who they think they want. I'm actually surprised any team hasn't named a HC yet. We are an attractive destination. I mentioned earlier I am surprised Tom Clements hasn't had any inquiries.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm thrilled that a Buffalo team is casting a wide net of talent instead of just grabbing who they think they want. I'm actually surprised any team hasn't named a HC yet. We are an attractive destination. I mentioned earlier I am surprised Tom Clements hasn't had any inquiries.

Ugh hell no. He sucked when he was here big time. Hiring him would be as exciting as like Bobby April getting hired. People say don't hire a retread like Shanahan well to take that further don't hire a retread with a Bills past. This would be like a Jim Haslett type hire.

At this point I want Shanahan, Bevell or Quinn. But it looks like Quinn is going to the Jets, so please hire Bevell or Shanahan.

As for the # of candidates I think this is what Brandon meant two years ago by leaving no stone unturned :laugh:

****ing awesome that Marrones interview with the Jets went to ****. I would LOVE it if he didn't get hired anywhere as a HC and had to take a coordinator job or a mediocre college HC job .

BCS

Feb 18, 2008

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Doug Whaley, our GM, the one conducting the interviews, is going to hire Shanahan as GM?

If you're to believe Tim Graham, the Pegulas are the ones at the helm of the interviews. That isn't particularly reassuring, given their neophyte status. They're not football experts.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Rotoworld said:
We're sorry, Bills fans. This would be brutal.

Bills in-name GM Doug Whaley was reported to be leading the search for a new head coach, but it's now been revealed new owner Terry Pegula is conducting interviews. The Bills have requested interviews with as many as 13 head-coaching candidates.

The Shanahan duo wouldn't be awful in a head coach-offensive coordinator tandem, but allowing them to make all personnel decisions would be taking a huge leap of faith.

Can we still return the Pegulas for store credit

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If this is true I am going to be sick. Kyle ****ing Shanahan as head coach.... WHY?!? He was garbage this year in Cleveland. Mike Shanahan as HC and his son as OC? Yes I would take that if it meant Schwartz stays as DC/AHC and Whaley can stay GM but Father as GM and son as HC? Where's the puking smiley? If this is true then Pegula needs to be rethought of in terms of his ownership skills... He has shown to be a horrendous owner who makes the franchises he takes over infinitely worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

The team in itself is an attractive destination but Buffalo in itself the market is a tough sell for guys who have options.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Hilarious to be making judgements about Pegula's ownership skills at this point, especially before anything has solidified in this coaching search. The Bills are infinitely worse than before he took over in October? The Sabres are infinitely worse off than picking ~10th every year? Nah, I'll stick with our top 5 defense and #1 prospect pool.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Hilarious to be making judgements about Pegula's ownership skills at this point, especially before anything has solidified in this coaching search. The Bills are infinitely worse than before he took over in October? The Sabres are infinitely worse off than picking ~10th every year? Nah, I'll stick with our top 5 defense and #1 prospect pool.

Hard to compare sports. If this were baseball prospects matter. In hockey a lot of them never even pan out. Having the top prospect list doesn't mean much. Also in hockey half the league/conference make the playoffs. Actually above 50% if you need technicality. The Sabres are worse than when he bought them. When he bought them they were at the end of being real contenders of anything but still had a playoff team that was capable of winning a series. Now the team isn't playoff caliber and by a wide margin and they are playing the hope every prospect hits game because outside of Moulson they have nothing as far as will be NHL establishment. Gionta is old. His contract will be up before they get good(if even) the rest will be close to being out of their initial pro deals.

As for the football team the defense is good but let's be honest. Kyle Williams is getting up there. Dareus has one year left and it was the option they picked up. Jackson is old and Spiller might not be back. They have no coach or QB. Its been a tough short off season. They can't mess this coach up though when they've had like 15 names linked their way. Regardless they could actually be worse next year. Back tracking wouldn't shock me. That D won't stay fully together and they don't have a qualified QB. If they bomb on the coach well...could be heading for another rebuild before playoffs and that'd be frustrating after being this close.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Was on board with Kyle Shanahan as OC. As head coach, do not want. Though he's at least been linked to other HC jobs so it's not like Buffalo are the only idiots out there courting him.

Do not want Mike Shanahan as a personnel guy. He's proven to be nothing but terrible at personnel IIRC.

I have big fears for how this will turn out.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Bills have no QB and no 1st round draft pick. Despite the Pegula's ownership, the Bills organization still looks like a fiasco from the outside looking in.

This is a highly undesirable head coaching gig, and that's the biggest problem IMO.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bills have an elite defense and just won 9 games. They could just be a couple pieces away form being a real contender. That's what makes us a valuable destination to a coach that wants to come in and win now.

We have no QB. That's what makes us a not desirable destination.

It goes both ways. The world doesn't exist in absolutes.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ya enough with the Pegula critiscm. He is rebuilding the Sabres properly, through the draft. We are no longer mediocre every year, he is doing it right. He saved the Bills from potentially being relocated, something this city ought to appreciate. Lastly, he is pumping money into the city by building new infrastructure.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Can we still return the Pegulas for store credit

I'm sure Bon Jovi would love to buy the team and move it to Toronto still....

....or you could just not complain about the family who has literally spent billions of dollars to keep both sports teams in the area and is leading the downtown revitalization effort of the downtown area with almost zero help from taxpayers.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hard to compare sports. If this were baseball prospects matter. In hockey a lot of them never even pan out. Having the top prospect list doesn't mean much. Also in hockey half the league/conference make the playoffs. Actually above 50% if you need technicality. The Sabres are worse than when he bought them. When he bought them they were at the end of being real contenders of anything but still had a playoff team that was capable of winning a series. Now the team isn't playoff caliber and by a wide margin and they are playing the hope every prospect hits game because outside of Moulson they have nothing as far as will be NHL establishment. Gionta is old. His contract will be up before they get good(if even) the rest will be close to being out of their initial pro deals.

As for the football team the defense is good but let's be honest. Kyle Williams is getting up there. Dareus has one year left and it was the option they picked up. Jackson is old and Spiller might not be back. They have no coach or QB. Its been a tough short off season. They can't mess this coach up though when they've had like 15 names linked their way. Regardless they could actually be worse next year. Back tracking wouldn't shock me. That D won't stay fully together and they don't have a qualified QB. If they bomb on the coach well...could be heading for another rebuild before playoffs and that'd be frustrating after being this close.

Must have posted this from tablet in bed, because, you know, why bother getting up each day? Posts like this make Eeyore seem like an optimist...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm sure Bon Jovi would love to buy the team and move it to Toronto still....

....or you could just not complain about the family who has literally spent billions of dollars to keep both sports teams in the area and is leading the downtown revitalization effort of the downtown area with almost zero help from taxpayers.

Which has led to how much on ice/on field success? Pegula is open to criticism. Golisano gets constantly bashed on this board by numerous people and he saved the Sabres like Pegula did the Bills. Pegula is showing he is in over his head. He needs to sit back and hire someone to do this stuff for him. He is way too hands own and doesn't know a damn thing about running either of his teams.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Pegula actually has some football connections. Why do people think that because of a few reports that he's taking point, to hire the direct point of contact between his ownership and Bills football operations, that no qualified football people are going to be involved in this process?

Oh yeah, confirmation bias.

fiend540

Sep 9, 2011

How would any of this be different with Ralph still alive, or bon jovi/Trump/ect owning the team?

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Pegula actually has some football connections. Why do people think that because of a few reports that he's taking point, to hire the direct point of contact between his ownership and Bills football operations, that no qualified football people are going to be involved in this process?

Oh yeah, confirmation bias.
Worse than armchair GMs. Armchair Debbie Downers.

Golisano was celebrated when he saved the Sabres, then he pulled a Ralph Wilson, put barely any money into his product and after a miracle run post-lockout, watched them steadily decline over a period of 3 or so years. Pegula hasn't even owned the Bills for 16 regular season games, but why let that stop you from grumbling? You've seen what he's doing with the hockey team, don't agree with it for what are probably poorly conceived reasons, and just assume that the football team has no prospects. Craziness. Why even bother following anymore?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Which has led to how much on ice/on field success? Pegula is open to criticism. Golisano gets constantly bashed on this board by numerous people and he saved the Sabres like Pegula did the Bills. Pegula is showing he is in over his head. He needs to sit back and hire someone to do this stuff for him. He is way too hands own and doesn't know a damn thing about running either of his teams.

For the Sabres:
I know right. It's like Pegula bought a team that was close to contending, gave the organization a better facility for training and other stuff with the Sabres, then gave Darcy full power where he tried to use Free Agency to make them competitive which according to some posters, the lack of free agency tools was a big downfall for Darcy and co, and that failed. Then when he failed, he looked to get a better GM and a better hockey department after multiple attempts of fixing the on ice product with mulitple player moves, a coach being fired(you know things done before the GM is usually fired with most teams).

So now that he has a Hockey Department to make hockey decisions, he expects us to think that they are the ones calling the shots, and expects us to think he has stepped away from anything that has to do with the on-ice product. But we're on to you Pegula, you're not fooling us!

For the Bills:
Oh and Terry, we get that you bought the team after Marrone was put in place, and that 1st rounder is gone before got there, and pretty much everything still in place before you bought the team, but man, you really need to just admit it, you screwed up, from that contract you, well your predecessor, gave to Marrone, all the way to the two weeks after your season ended. I mean come on, The regular season just ended, and you already screwed up next season with your "lack" of decisions. Listen I know you are a better source when it comes the Buffalo Bills, but I'll gladly take the word of Click-bait articles and guys from twitter, who heard from a guy, that they met a guy...Who would have a better pulse on the team, you? Haha, don't make me laugh...

I know you're going to use the excuse of "the team was still a Playoff contender until December" excuse to explain why you didn't blow the team up back in October, but we're not falling for that. I know you didn't really get to the players and get a sense of how everyone felt, but as soon as you bought the team, you should've canned the Head Coach before he had a chance to opt out.

Those media members who spend maybe 20 mins a day around the players have a better grasp of the fundamentals of football...Just listen to them, I mean you wouldn't need to pay them, since they are being paid by someone else. Think about the profit dang it!

Thanks for your time sir!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad