Buffalo Bills: 9-7, Marrone opts-out of contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
As for the whole coach thing I don't see the point in getting the Lions DC in here. At that rate just promote Schwartz. Either go offense, special team or no speciality. You already have a defensive guy. They have got to easily have the most names linked their way. Atleast 10.

I still don't condone Moron. Alonzo was a stud, fine okay. But EJ wasn't worth it. Why not draft Alonzo the first round without the trade? A reach maybe but so was the QB. Only reason Alonzo wasn't a first rounder was because he got in trouble at Oregon. He had the talent.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Don't got to convince me that Manuel was a terrible pick, I hated it from the second it was rumored by Buscaglia earlier on draft day and I was livid when it was announced. I have hated the pic since the very second it happened (though I believe I was advocating taking Geno :lol: though it was mainly because we needed a QB and he seemed like the best QB prospect. That's why you don't draft by need but for BPA, because no QB was worth a first). Though I think if the roles were switched Manuel would be just as bad as Geno is in NY and I think Geno would be just as good/bad as Manuel is here. But I really don't see a problem with the trade after how it all worked out in the end, Alonso alone is a top 3-5 player from that draft class and at the very least Manuel will be a great backup QB if not low end starter. I mean Manuel isn't anywhere near as bad as a Lindley or Jeff Tuel type QB but he will just be a guy who can go 8-8 with a great defense/perfect situation I.e. Not a playoff worthy QB.

Suh is hitting the open market. Could you imagine letting Hughes Walk, getting rid of Kyle Williams and try to restructure Mario's contract and sign Suh?!? Suh and Dareus up the middle with Mario on the end would be absolutely insane. Obviously it has a .00001% chance of happening but just thinking about how good our D would be is crazy. Suh and Dareus are both top 3 DTs IMO along with Atkins. Pairing them together would just make our DL unstoppable, even if it meant losing Hughes and plugging in someone cheaper. To be honest any average DE would be able to get at least 7-8 sacks playing on a line with those 2 in the middle and a Mario at the other end. Would be nice but we need the cap room to extend Dareus as it is and hopefully bring in a QB. That's the only problem with trading for Cutler, it would take up a lot of cap room. Would you trade for Cutler if it meant only being able to re-sign Dareus and having to let Hughes walk? I think I would. Dareus is the #1a priority, adding a top 15 QB is #1b priority and re-signing Hughes is the 2nd priority. I know Hughes said he wouldn't give us a hometown discount but I hope he is reasonable in his demands. The league changed the stats for week 17 and added .5 sacks to Hughes so now he has 10 for this year along with 10 last year. In a league that treasures elite pass rushers back to back 10 sack seasons for a guy only turning 27 this year means Hughes is going to get PAID. I just hope Hughes comes to his senses and realizes he is in the perfect situation and that if we was traded to any other team but the Bills two years ago he would be nowhere near as successful and would be lucky to be getting a contract even 1/4th as big as the one he is going to get. Hughes is definitely talented and will still be a 7-8 sack guy elsewhere but only in Buffalo is he going to be the 4th best DL and still able to consistently get double digit sacks.

Sadly I think Hughes is one of those greedy me first players and is bolting for a mega bucks deal a la Byrd.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
That would be good but then you are short a guy on the dline. Kyle is getting older and seems to be banged up a lot. I don't think it will happen and Suh is a head case. Great player but man so selfish and boneheaded.

Would be fine in lertting Hughes go. He's replaceable. Obviously a systems guy. He struggled in Indy. Like Lito Sheppard did here. Granted Sheppard is not doing amazing at Indy. Then again Hughes has more support here than Indy. He's not the top threat. So because of Dareus and Mario getting a lot of attention it helps open things up for him.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Reading about how Marvin Lewis might possibly be let go... I am hoping he is fired by Cincy and I would love if the Bills got him. He should be our coach anyway, still can't believe back in the day when Gregg Williams for hired over Lewis :facepalm: just another dumb move made by the Bills (what else is new).

Say what you want about 0-6 in the playoffs but 100-90-2 in Cincinnati of all places? Yes please. He would be the perfect guy for our team with the defense we have. Cincinnati was exactly like the Bills were before he got there. Not his fault at all they haven't won a playoff game yet , hard to do that when Andy Dalton is the QB (decent reg season QB, one of the worst playoff QBs ever). He also got screwed in 05 when that scum bag from the Steelers purposely targeted Palmers knee and tore his ACL. If the Bengals fire Lewis it would be a huge mistake and would be a big coup for whoever ends up getting him... If he does get fired then he becomes without a doubt the best or 2nd best coach available. With Lewis as our coach we would win 10 game a next year with our defense even if our QB is Manuel. I have always liked him and hope he eventually wins a Super Bowl as a head coach and not just a DC.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Redskins requested permission to interview Schwartz and were denied. He's definitely staying in some capacity.

Not if the new coach wants a different DC. Especially if they hire a defensive guy like Dan Quinn.

They are just protecting themselves until they have their head coach opening filled.

If it is an offensive guy, then the odds of Schwartz staying improve. But, most HCs will want "their guys" on their staff, especially at the coordinator spots.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I really think they're just going to promote Schwartz, and frankly, that's the move I'd make, too.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I really think they're just going to promote Schwartz, and frankly, that's the move I'd make, too.

It really depends on the OC candidates that are out there. Nobody is talking about that. It would be nice to have Reich leave SD to be our OC, but that's just not happening given the QB situations. Let's say they promote Schwartz, who does he bring in? Does he keep Hackett and actually give him the keys, something that Marrone never seemed to do?

We all loved complaining about Hackett and making him the scapegoat all season, but it really sounds like Marrone shackled him, much like he did with EJ. I don't think we can really evaluate Hackett effectively if its true that Marrone was a control freak in all aspects. Wouldn't be shocked if Schwartz sees potential in him and keeps him around. I don't think other coaches would give Hackett a second look before bringing in someone new, but reports seem to indicate that Hackett is well respected around OBD, and that maybe the HC was really to blame for their offensive woes.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What hype? Dalton is ripped on constantly.

He wishes.

For his playoff performances true. But people seem to like him in the regular season. I still don't think Flacco is that good. I think he's basically Eli. Borderline top 15. Neither guy I'd bend over backwards to get as my teams QB.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

I would welcome it though I don't love Schwartz but I think keeping him is vital. Will he still do the defense or focus on coaching? He sucked in Detroit and honestly was a distraction. Shanahan just no. The only other guy I'd consider is Dan Quinn but who knows if he keeps Schwartz. The rest of the list is average or unproven or coordinators on offense who benefit from really good QBs

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
No Shanahan, please. I guess he isn't the worst option at head coach but he'll either force his way into the front office or constantly be at odds with them, as if on purpose. Don't want him anywhere near this team mid-rebuild

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
living here in Illinois I've gotten to see more than my fair share of Jay Cutler and the overall consensus is that he Sucks. hard. The amount of out of town stupid over Cutler is insane. Everyone else thinks they can turn him into a Pro-bowler if he just had the right coach or OC, overlooking the fact that he's run through a number of coaches and coordinators already (a couple coordinators the Bears even let him interview). The guy hasn't developed at all. Wings the ball all over the place throws a bunch of picks, and is wildly inconsistent. I don't mind the fact that he is uniquely un-photogenic and would look like an asshat even if he were rescuing a basket of kittens from a burning building... The guy just can't put it together.

Darrell Bevell has to be the guy. Even EJ could run his offense with some degree of success. retain Jim Schwartz at DC, and they're set. And next draft, take Jared Goff to replace EJ/whoever they pickup from free agent scrap heap (Locker, Hoyer, Sanchez), with a late 1st, early 2nd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad