Buffalo Bills: 9-7, Marrone opts-out of contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The LaFontaine "fiasco" produced Tim Murray .... with the widely held view of that being a positive hire.

The fact that Lafontaine didn't like his role afterwards is not an indictment on Pegula..at all.

About the only thing you can fault Pegula with in that situation is something that never even ended up happening .. And that is asking Lafontaine to be GM.

The fact that Pegula is a part of the process in hiring a coach/ GM shouldn't worry anyone. He should be involved in the process and a part of the interviews.

People are just overreacting.

Pegula created tension out of a situation that demanded none by jumping the gun in an enterprise he wasn't familiar with. Obviously Murray is fine thus far but he hired and fired a respected NHL name within such a short timeframe that the whole thing stunk.

He's a clever businessman but all sectors of business are not the same. Treating a professional sports franchise like any typical fortune 500 hasn't benefited the Fords, the Johnsons, Jones, Glazer, etc.

Blindly showing faith in an owner's front office abilities in the face of evidence to the contrary and building smoke borders on sycophantic

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Pegula is not in over his head. This is such an absurd notion.

Explain why Pegula is qualified as a sports businessman to staff and have a major say in NFL front office affairs. It's simple enough to argue the negative.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
If the Shanahan/Pegula interview rumors are true, I'm not joking when I say that Pegula is in over his head and could hurt the franchise. It's not some chic troll to look at deleterious behavior and call it out.

this is the most words i've ever seen used to say literally nothing at all

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Pegula created tension out of a situation that demanded none by jumping the gun in an enterprise he wasn't familiar with. Obviously Murray is fine thus far but he hired and fired a respected NHL name within such a short timeframe that the who thing stunk.

He's a clever businessman but all sectors of business are not the same. Treating a professional sports franchise like any typical fortune 500 hasn't benefited the Fords, the Johnsons, Jones, Glazer, etc.

Blindly showing faith in an owner's front office abilities in the face of evidence to the contrary and building smoke borders on sycophantic

Sure it doesn't "look" good ... but it really has zero negative effect on the franchise. It was the right move. Plain and simple.

You're acting like there are definitive right or wrong ways to run a franchise. Pegula didn't look to be put in this position... he wanted a "football czar" .. it fell through.

This has nothing to do with "blind faith" ... it just isn't jumping the gun running for the pitchfork and torches.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Sure it doesn't "look" good ... but it really has zero negative effect on the franchise. It was the right move. Plain and simple.

You're acting like there are definitive right or wrong ways to run a franchise. Pegula didn't look to be put in this position... he wanted a "football czar" .. it fell through.

This has nothing to do with "blind faith" ... it just isn't jumping the gun running for the pitchfork and torches.

In what sense? You think image doesn't matter, or that despite outward appearances there was no internal strain involved as a result of Pegula's decisions?

There are definitive right and wrong ways to run franchises. There are ways that have historically brought success and those that have not. The behavior that has been suggested by separate accounts and past evidence of Pegula's actions is suggestive of the latter types.

If you want to paint me as overly pessimistic, I'd say you're overly optimistic in this case. The sycophant comment was meant for beech

this is the most words i've ever seen used to say literally nothing at all

check your post history

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Further, if Polian was truly being pursued, that was an enormous error in judgment. Looking at that with the hindsight of the LaFontaine hire is alarming.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
In what sense? You think image doesn't matter, or that despite outward appearances there was no internal strain involved as a result of Pegula's decisions?

There are definitive right and wrong ways to run franchises. There are ways that have historically brought success and those that have not. The behavior that has been suggested by separate accounts and past evidence of Pegula's actions is suggestive of the latter types.

If you want to paint me as overly pessimistic, I'd say you're overly optimistic in this case. The sycophant comment was meant for beech

check your post history

No... The Pat Lafontaine incident will have no negative effect on this franchise.

-- In a general sense...no there is no definitive right or wrong way to run a franchise in the sense of an owner being hands on or hands off.

-- As far as me being overly optimistic .... I hobestly don't have a strong opinion on the matter.. In fact I hope Pegula fails in this sense since I hate the Buffalo Bills and am a Miami Dolphin fan with his own owner struggles.

-- The point is you're ready to condemn Pegula for simply making a choice that needs to be made and being a part of the process. That is jumping the gun, IMO.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Further, if Polian was truly being pursued, that was an enormous error in judgment. Looking at that with the hindsight of the LaFontaine hire is alarming.

That's bogus. Polian is highly respected. While you're entitled to like or dislike the decision it's foolish to come to that type of conclusion without any results from thar decision.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
No... The Pat Lafontaine incident will have no negative effect on this franchise.

You didn't answer the question.

-- In a general sense...no there is no definitive right or wrong way to run a franchise in the sense of an owner being hands on or hands off.

That removed? Sure. But we aren't that removed and aren't looking at this in a vacuum.

-- As far as me being overly optimistic .... I hobestly don't have a strong opinion on the matter.. In fact I hope Pegula fails in this sense since I hate the Buffalo Bills and am a Miami Dolphin fan with his own owner struggles.

Gracious, then. You're overly gracious.

-- The point is you're ready to condemn Pegula for simply making a choice that needs to be made and being a part of the process. That is jumping the gun, IMO.

In what capacity? If he interviewed Matt Millen would it be acceptable to laugh or cry about it?

That's bogus. Polian is highly respected. While you're entitled to like or dislike the decision it's foolish to come to that type of conclusion without any results from thar decision.

"Highly respected" isn't the same as either relevant or competent. Charlie Casserly is highly respected.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Explain why Pegula is qualified as a sports businessman to staff and have a major say in NFL front office affairs. It's simple enough to argue the negative.

Well, you have accused him of being over his head, so really the burden is on you to back up your statement. But why not, since I know you won't.

1. Pegula has owned a professional sports franchise for just over 4 years now. He's familiar with how a pro sports team operates, how interactions with other league owners go, and how to work with the league office. He's familiar with how the media works, and how to interact with them. Most NFL owners never owned a sports franchise at all before purchasing their teams, so it could be argued Pegula is better positioned.

2. Pegula owned a player agency representing multiple professional players. This provides him with experience and knowledge of how contracts are negotiated, how to work with players, and interact with the league from the player's side of things. This is also experience and most NFL owners do not have before purchasing their teams.

3. Pegula was vetted extensively by the NFL. Had their been concerns about his competency to adequately manage NFL team ownership, he would not have been approved.

4. Pegula owned and managed a company that was sold for over 3 times what he paid for the Bills. It's not possible to do that without a good level of business knowledge.

So there's 4 major points that completely discount your accusation of being unqualified.

Again, YOU have made the accusation, YOU back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad